Getting stuck in rally fields (1 Viewer)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Ah right, well I wonder why the Police, RAC, AA and the judge didn't agree when a tugger blamed Top Gears advice after he'd seen it on Top Gear. Apparently laughter heard for hundreds of miles because he believed them. He got done for careless driving.

I would be interested in reading up on that if you have a link please, speed up was always the advice given and is the same principle as the Alko ATC anti-snake system.

Martin

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Ah right, well I wonder why the Police, RAC, AA and the judge didn't agree when a tugger blamed Top Gears advice after he'd seen it on Top Gear. Apparently laughter heard for hundreds of miles because he believed them. He got done for careless driving.

Maybe it's because he was doing 100 mph down the motorway at the time ;)

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
They are optional on all motorhomes, it's just that not everybody chooses them.

Martin
Probably on newer ones. Obviously an expensive option. Possible good idea IF a moho was fitted with them but had the OP had them then I assume they wouldn't have posted the question as they'd know to use them and IMO, I'd think most Moho's didn't have hydraulic levellers on them. If OP did have them fitted then the post would never have come up so I assumed they didn't have as I don't.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
If you carried something for every eventuality then youd have no room for booze.
Relax and don't fret (y)

But isn't sobering up an eventuality that needs constant attention?

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Maybe it's because he was doing 100 mph down the motorway at the time ;)
It was a big thing at the time. He started snaking and remembering the Top Gear prog, speeded up and it became seriously worse till he turned it over. The increase in speed was blamed. If I remember, the C & CC also commented that it was wrong and the BBC stated that it was said light heartedly. I don't think the top end speed was mentioned so he may have been doing that but if he was at 70 mph and started to snake then taking it up one might just hit 100mph if he's trying to reduce the snaking.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Sorry, I was just being a little playful this morning, the wink was the clue ;)
Thank you and whilst I did miss that, I'm not really sure that giving light hearted or false replies actually helps unless you make it absolutely clear because without a doubt, someone might just believe that advice.
Remember the American who sued the moho manufacturer because he said they sold it as fully automatic and it crashed when he left the drivers seat to make a coffee.

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
You have bought the wrong motorhome if you get stuck , you need one of these :D Then you can pull all of us out with your new toy .

Jul 10, 2016
hucknall
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero 712sb
Exp
10 years
Always carry wine it's a great incentive for others to help.

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Had a good look at that one at Caravan Salon we were tempted.

Also had a look at them but not sure if they are worth the extra cost and I would be scared to go off road incase I damaged the body work.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Also had a look at them but not sure if they are worth the extra cost and I would be scared to go off road incase I damaged the body work.
Price wise not too bad for what they are offering but you would need ear plugs off road or wrap all your contents in cotton wool.:D

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Make sure you know where your towing eye is stored, or that you even have one

Every time I read threads relating to needing a tow I keep saying I must make sure I know here mine is, then I have another doze and forget to check again

Will try and do it today now (y)

It must be nearly impossible to tow some MH's without one

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
If on your own, I suggest, with the greatest respect of course, that you don't park where you might get stuck.

If you are on a "rally" field and get stuck, willing help won't be too far away, unless you have been horrid to everyone all weekend.

JJ :cool:
In Cornwall a couple of years ago we arrived at a small campsite which looked suspect to me, but the owner assured me it was fine and our PVC wouldn't get stuck. We got stuck immediately while backing on to our pitch. The owner then produced his Ford Focus to pull us out!! What a joke!.. Luckily the tugger with the 4 wheel drive was willing to do it ...

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

(y)(y)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I've got one of the 'track' thingys.
Like this??

:)

tracks.jpg

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
A right. So it's not the lightweight tirfor but also a ground anchor and a cable I assume. I don't have a problem with the weight aspect but space is at a premium in our moho.
And if there was a place for a ground anchor and you just happen to have enough cable too, it's also possible, if using the logic of 'if in doubt, flat out' then some very expensive damage could be caused to the engine and/or gearbox possibly?
Mind you, if you're going into those situations knowingly then carrying your own solution is a must. I personally wouldn't willingly go into that situation but if I was going as in wild camping then I probably would carry. My own choice is to go elsewhere
Aluminium ground anchor and plasma rope, you haven't got to take any of this gear or any advice for that matter.
If you don't want to go off road then don't!!

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Years ago, (well about 40) I worked on BR mending the on-track maintenance machines, and getting to them was sometimes a problem.
This particular Sunday I got stuck in a wood miles from anywhere on some boggy ground, after a while achieving very little I had a think. Got loads of rope, so I looped it around two trees 30 or 40 feet away where the ground was firmer, got some wood under one wheel, jacked it up and wound the rope once around the wheel, did the same with the other, turned the wheels till the rope went tight then lowered them down, engaged gear and gently let the clutch out, and it worked! Pulled on to the firmer ground, retrieved the rope and went home. :)

Bilbat

Free Member
Oct 10, 2014
Solihull
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2014
We're insured through caravan guard which includes breakdown insurance and also covers being towed off muddy fields, so they told me when I renewed this year.

OP
OP
Bobby22

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
One or two practical answers £4500 seems a bit extreme though @Techno . But.....
has anyone ever got THEMSELVES without out AFTER getting stuck.

I have noticed people trying to get things jambed under the front wheels but always had to get pulled out in the end.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years

I suspect that his defence was based on using the go faster method as the reason for towing at a speed that the prosecution decided was careless.
Not familiar with the court case but would also be laughing if someone told me they had reached a very high speed doing this.
It was a big thing at the time. He started snaking and remembering the Top Gear prog, speeded up and it became seriously worse till he turned it over. The increase in speed was blamed. If I remember, the C & CC also commented that it was wrong and the BBC stated that it was said light heartedly. I don't think the top end speed was mentioned so he may have been doing that but if he was at 70 mph and started to snake then taking it up one might just hit 100mph if he's trying to reduce the snaking.

As I said above, if the crashing speed was deemed too high for towing then procecution was justified.
I have often seen caravans and trailers at 70mph which is 10mph quicker than the law allows as a maximum.
Not going into the dynamics in detail but a slight sway at low speed increases its effect and velocity as speed increases causing the much lighter trailer or caravan to have an effective weight well exceeding the towing vehicle. Tail wags the dog and over it goes

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back