Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Miskin
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer D55+
Exp
Since 2017
Hi Everyone, Jon here. My wife and I are in the process of selling our boat and will be buying a motorhome with the proceeds. Hopefully my wife won't get so seasick in the MH! At the moment, we're just starting to look around, and know from our sailing experience that there will be a learning curve. I'd be grateful for any advice that you may have to help us get started.

We have already discussed the number of berths that we want, and given that we are empty nesters are currently thinking that 2 berths will be fine. Both of us have older driving licenses, so think we have entitlement to drive the heavier MHs, so could go bigger - there doesn't seem to be such a big price difference for the longer MHs compared with boats, where an extra few feet can cost over £50K.

Cheers, Jon

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Hi and welcome Jon , I would suggest either renting a few to get a feel of what you want.. or else go to some mh shows.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
IMG_0855.GIF

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
thinking that 2 berths will be fine.

Cheers, Jon

Just about any motorhome sold as 4 berths is OK for 2. The other 2 usually involve re-arranging the seating and building your bed each night.

Unlike a boat it's not done to drive along with a glass of wine in one hand.

Short MH go anywhere, park anywhere. Bigger ones, struggle a bit. Very big ones, start planning where you go.

However, unlike a boat, you really get to go places. I doubt you took your boat to Africa, well loads of FUNsters do that every year.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Hello and welcome:WelcomeFlag:if you've sailed on a boat you will know about space on a motorhome. Try some out at various dealers sit at the table ,on the loo and beds make a pretend meal etc to get the feel of it.and ask for test drives as length may be an issue for parking etc .
Good luck.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back