Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
With alot of things requiring €1 or €2 coins I'm wondering how you all to about get hold of them

We saw a machine in a 24h Credit Agricole bank foyer that would give either €1, €2 or 50c in what appeared to be rolls but sadly it was out of order. Asphamed to say our lack of languages would make it impossible to have a conversation in a bank,

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Get them in change a put to one side or better still use goggle translate at the bank. (y);)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Just do the same as I do here, buy everything with notes, and keep the change ,when I get home all the change goes in a jar, emptied at Christmas, sometimes over hundred pounds in it(y):)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Alistair33

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
In our experience within making the first two purchases over here you will have a pocket or purse full of scrap iron.

Yes and that's the problem I find in relying on making purchases to acquire €1 / €2 coins, the return compared to the 'scrap' is no good.

In any given day you may need coins for washing machine, dryer, tram, car park, say €20 for example ..... that would equate not only to a large spend to acquire the nessecary coins but also a lot of small coins along the way

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Go into the nearest amusement arcade?

No, seriously, the best way is to have a cash pot in your MH and chuck any 2 Euro, 1 Euro, and 50 cent coins in as you go along so there's always a supply handy. It takes a couple of trips.

We also insist on lots of 10 and 5 Euro notes when getting our foreign cash, as I often visit flea markets and car boots abroad.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
The French are very reluctant to part with 1€ & 2€ coins!
I have had change from a 'Post Office' but the last one I tried would only give me 5€'s worth (needed more for washing machine etc.) the TO was helpful they gave me 5€'s too and asked if that was all!
Otherwise just hoard them from your change.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Most launderettes have a change machine, or if your in a supermarket just ask most will give you change in euro coins. :D2 Bob.

Reactions: JJ

El-Nido

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
I ask those at work who come back from a Europe holiday to sell me any €1 or €2 coins they come back with. Over a year this gets me about €30 in shrapnel.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I didn't realise this was even an issue.

In all the trips we've made I've never not been able to pay for something due to not having the correct coins.

I must try harder. :whistle:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
I didn't realise this was even an issue.

In all the trips we've made I've never not been able to pay for something due to not having the correct coins.

I must try harder. :whistle:
there reallyisnt a problem . i give my loose schrapnel to the scroungers out side the last supermarket we stock up in . mind i also very often just use schrapnel for those items you know the price for and go back in and give the right amount. cant see any poinmt in taking it back to uk.
for super market trolleys i use an old cien peseta coin i found years ago.
it fits , works in uk as well.

Reactions: DBK

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Last stop is now auchan Calais has a cash machine where you can put all coins in and get a ticket to spend in shop.Never have to much wine.

Joe

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back