Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I am on EHU at home with a small electric heater to keep out the damp, but some parts of the water supply go outside, it might be warmer inside but the bit I worried about is outside pipework, waste tanks drained, cassette small amount of water and cleaner water tank contains some but is inside so a bit warmer.
I feel deprived so I might go and sleep in it anyway to see how well the heater copes with winter if it doesn't keep up then I can still run back inside to the two logburners. I will not be going anywhere until spring, if it can't keep warm.

Reactions: CWH

Brendan

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 25, 2012
Here there and everywhere
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
Some science here How cool to link motorhomes with icebergs:cool:

But you forgot to bring in eutectics Dave.

If the MH has a seperate flush to be concerned about it almost certainly also has bowl freshener, which would act like a mild antifreeze and lower the freezing point a little.

As regards draining the cassette, so long as there is room for expansion of whatever it contains(i.e. not full) there should be no damage from freezing, just a bit more difficult to empty.
Although of course what you have in there is almost certainly not just water, in fact it probably contains urea one of the best forms of antifreeze available.

I admit - it was sarcy - sorry:p ....couldn't resist!

.....blimey - almost a sensible answer - moi:eek:

Seems I need more to drink if I'm trying to give a sensible answer also.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
But you forgot to bring in eutectics Dave.

If the MH has a seperate flush to be concerned about it almost certainly also has bowl freshener, which would act like a mild antifreeze and lower the freezing point a little.

As regards draining the cassette, so long as there is room for expansion of whatever it contains(i.e. not full) there should be no damage from freezing, just a bit more difficult to empty.
Although of course what you have in there is almost certainly not just water, in fact it probably contains urea one of the best forms of antifreeze available.

Seems I need more to drink if I'm trying to give a sensible answer also.

The cistern has a small amount of bowl fresher but not much; I've emptied the mixture into a 5l water container for the next two nights as it is predicted to get even colder tomorrow evening. My cistern has a glass tube used to show the water level and if anything is likely to freeze in the 'van, this tube is possibly the most susceptible to freezing as it has the largest surface area to volume and is most likely to be damaged by ice.

The cassette was emptied when we returned after our weekend away this evening; I would have left the no. 1s in there for ice protection but as boy #2 decided he needed a #2 on our way home this afternoon, emptying it became more desirable.

Brendan

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 25, 2012
Here there and everywhere
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
The cistern has a small amount of bowl fresher but not much; I've emptied the mixture into a 5l water container for the next two nights as it is predicted to get even colder tomorrow evening. My cistern has a glass tube used to show the water level and if anything is likely to freeze in the 'van, this tube is possibly the most susceptible to freezing as it has the largest surface area to volume and is most likely to be damaged by ice.

The tube is very much the weak link here as it is also effectively outside the van, or at least the heated portion of it.

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
If in doubt drain system and if no EHU when travelling use gas and make sure water warm in system

geoffles

Free Member
Sep 9, 2014
Trafford Park
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
With the motorhome i will do same as when i had my caravan, i put a radiator inside on thermostat and leave all cupboards, doors and hatch,s open. Also drain all water and leave waste cracked open a bit.

The toilet i just put a tiny amount of freshner/blue in.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Thinking about this......

First van was a basic Lunar Newstar which was poorly insulated. The water was drained except for the flush tank (didn't know any better) but even in three winters it never froze up anything. The water system was drained, not purged.

Second van was an AutoSleeper Broadway - once again did drain the water but didn't purge the system and never had an issue over three winters.

Current van is a Pilote which is fully winterised to continental standards and designed for cold weather with a double floor and internal tanks. It has an auto dump system on the water anyway but suspect that it isn't going to be activated. The waste tank is fully drained.

To be honest, the average British cold snap (unless you are high up or a fair way north) only lasts a few days and nearly all vans will not have a problem with this as it will take a few days of sustained below freezing weather to bring the inside down below freezing. Obviously it has to be something that we are aware of, but unless the weather gets really horrible, not something to spend time worrying about in most cases. I might dump the water system after the gourmet meet just to ensure it doesn't become stale as the next time will be the new year. I do this in the summer as well, to keep the water system relatively fresh

Reactions: CWH

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Most vans will survive in a bit of cold weather. But over the years I've had and know of plenty of damage. Just one joint, in an inaccessible place that pops or even cracks a tiny bit can cause you no end of problems in the spring, and sods law says you'll only notice on site, or just before you leave; your first trip of the year easily ruined. I've never lost a water heater but I know a few who have, so if you have your heater frost release pegged up, then don't forget to release it. I've also lost two taps, both mixers costing £70 each or should that be ouch. leaving them open is a good idea.

I use my van all year, and its easy to be caught out, arriving home late, your fresh and grey are full and get a heavy frost your not expecting.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Most vans will survive in a bit of cold weather. But over the years I've had and know of plenty of damage. Just one joint, in an inaccessible place that pops or even cracks a tiny bit can cause you no end of problems in the spring, and sods law says you'll only notice on site, or just before you leave; your first trip of the year easily ruined. I've never lost a water heater but I know a few who have, so if you have your heater frost release pegged up, then don't forget to release it. I've also lost two taps, both mixers costing £70 each or should that be ouch. leaving them open is a good idea.

I use my van all year, and its easy to be caught out, arriving home late, your fresh and grey are full and get a heavy frost your not expecting.
Fair comment, but surely only in a prolonged cold spell? Mind you, it is a bit different in the South East where we have a milder climate - as stated above, it is different if higher up or further north.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We drain all the water , open both taps, open all the cupboards Every time we put the MH back into storage. We've got onboard tanks too. We do use it all year round for weekend breaks at least once a month, usually twice. But now and again we can go a month without due to commitments or other trips without it , such as this month. But we know it will be ok .
We don't have a heater in it when in storage either.
When we go to pick her up its just a couple of mins to shut everything up get the Webasto on if it's cold , then off we go. By the time were out of the compound the whole vans warming up nicely and were away.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back