LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hi Ladybirds and Manbirds, Now I must admit Manbirds does not sound right.

I have been thinking, yes I know I shouldn’t, about what you good people do when travelling over long periods, I can only assume that you don’t need the things which rattle around in your belly and have to consume every day.

Now we are in the EEU at the moment how do you get your prescriptions without registering at different doctors everywhere you go.

I am thinking of going all over the UK next year which might not be a problem and even travel to France and into Spain
I’m not planning to plan the route or the time I stay in each location I just want to go where the music takes me, as the song goes.
So how do I go about ensuring I can get my drugs without making a detailed plan of where and when I’m going to be. Any thought as long as sober will be much appreciated.

Best Wishes Tony

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Yip i'm in the same boat , will so be going traveling , hopefully to europe and how i am gonna get my meds.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Yip i'm in the same boat , will so be going traveling , hopefully to europe and how i am gonna get my meds.
Hi Bart your probably a Simpson fan other than that you slightly mistyped your user name with a B instead of a "F" LOL.
There must be a simple answer to this question, no doubt it will be answered in due course.
Are you a loner like me or have you an anchor who dictactes the direction of travel although you might never admit it. lol
I myself have been looking at joining the solo group, but it seem to be more difficult to join them than the Masons, I did not realize there was a Secret Society of solo Motorhomers, but then I've led a sheltered life.
Best Wishes Tony

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
LOL Tony , nah i'm not single as per my Sig :)
Maybe you need to knock harder on the "Masons" door :D :D

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
Most junkys worry about getting there drugs when in unfamiliar places . Only joking (y)

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
nah i'm not single as per my Sig
Never mind Bart you always knew you could not be happy your whole life, not to be serious I'm sure your better half is a wonderfull person who bings light and laughter to all in her presence.
I only wish I can meet someone as desirable as your capture. :)
Best Wishes Tony

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Being serious Tony , sorry for being silly , you can go to local health centers where ever you are armed with your own medical practice details , take any repeat scrips as well . Dont know about the scary place over the channel but i reckon they are as civilised enough to have doctors etc .

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Maybe you need to knock harder on the "Masons" door
Iv'e already infultrated that organization but can't find the key to the Solo's they seem more secrtet than the Masond,
I've traveled the countryside far and wide and waited in ancient woods at midnight to see their customs and rituals but to no avail, to try and uncover these Soloist rituals is like trying to say that ghosts exist. These Solo's seem to be a society who do not want to be found, you have to be invited to them by a present member and then the investigation takes place to ensure you are a bonified solo.
I can understand their caution as letting in a couple could lead to devistation in their ranks. :)
I can only assume that being a member of this organization is so eletist that even the royalty has dificulty getting in. LOL
Best Wishes Tony

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Ive never been into dogging but Tony try Portsdown hill overlooking pompey in your mh , may get more than you bargain for :sneaky:

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Another bit of advice tony , never post when enough drink has been supped .I have and read back my own posts and thought aww Oh Please! . Apologies if thats not the case
LOL OK your right but being single what other pleasure do I have, You seem a realy nice person so NO I do not take ofence at what you said, there is a lot of truth in it.
When I started this post I was perfectly sober, but now I must admit I can't claim that, so to that end I'm going to go to bed. Good night to all and sundry and sweet dreams.
PS please accept the spelling, I was never good at English.
Best Wishes Tony

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Ive never been into dogging but Tony try Portsdown hill overlooking pompey in your mh , may get more than you bargain for
Hi Wigster funnyly enough I was there only yesterday but there was no doggers there it was maily motorbikers with Suzukies, Harleys, Triumphs, Vincents etc It was great to see all those bikes lined up.

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
We will mate when im back down south no worries (y)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
You can get 3 months advance from your Doctor.

You can obtain a "cross-border prescription " from your surgery

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/health/help-from-the-pharmacy/prescription/index_en.htm

A prescription delivered by a doctor in your country is valid in all EU countries. However, medicine prescribed in one country might not be available in another, or it may bear another name.

As of 25 October 2013 you are able to ask for a cross-border prescription which is intended for use in another EU country: these are designed to help the pharmacist understand the prescription easily, the ingredients of the medicine and their dosage.

Here I can buy most medicines over the counter . i.e. statins & BP tablets are not expensive.

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
I believe that places like Greece you can buy most things over the counter that you'd need a prescription for here.

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
I popped in to the local pharmacy near Carcassonne with a copy of my prescription, walked out with 3 months worth of stuff to keep my heart going. I asked for 1 months worth, it was the pharmacist that suggested 3 to make life easier.
Kev.

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
I just tell my doctor that I'm away for 3 months and he instructs the pharmacy to up the quantity accordingly....simples,

The Tincas

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
OK the legal bit

You are only allowed to be away from your home for three months before the Surgery will de list you
you are only allowed three months worth of prescriptions (but in Scotland it's 6 months)

As long as you return home every 3 months there is no problem just discuss your needs with your GP

My medication includes a controlled drug which normally you are only allowed one months supply but I have no problem getting 90 days worth with a simple chat

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Hi @Brakers as everyone has said, you can get 3 months from your GP to cover most trips. However, you can also purchase the items you need privately should you get stuck.
On a trip to Portugal, I arrived and realised I had forgotten all my meds. I popped down to the local pharmacy, and told them what I took, and the doses. They didn't have exactly the same sizes, but pretty close, so I ended up with 20mg statin rather than 25, pretty close I thought. And the full pack (60 tablets) of Statin was €27 at the time, so not bad.
I just explained my situation and the pharmacist was happy to help. She did say it would have been easier if I'd had my repeat prescription with me though! :D

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
I am abroad for a few months, so brought 3 months worth from my local GP. Had a copy of my prescription that the chemist in Carcassonne used and he sold me another 3 months of pills. I have kept that copy so that it can be used again should I start to run out.
Scotland has had to comply with the rest of Europe and GPs there are now only allowed to dish out 3 months worth at a time.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
H. Daniel nice to hear from you, yes it does seem less of a problem than I first thought. I don't know if you could do that in this country but I doubt it.
Best Wishes Tony

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Woman just gets three months in advance..And if away longer our daughter collects the prescription and sends them out to us

Dognewf

Free Member
Nov 4, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
lunar newstar
Exp
1 whole year now
My repeat prescription is ordered by the chemist, so my plan is to get my sister to collect for me and post if i am out long term.

Jan 10, 2012
London
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbe
On a trip to Portugal, I arrived and realised I had forgotten all my meds. I popped down to the local pharmacy, and told them what I took, and the doses. They didn't have exactly the same sizes, but pretty close

I too have overlooked taking enough pills with me to Spain, so went to a pharmacist showed him the packets i want (his english zero my Spanish similar) after a little gesturing I walked out the door with what I wanted €37 lighter.
So I think unless you need something weird you should have no problems, but att a price.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
H.
On a trip to Portugal, I arrived and realised I had forgotten all my meds. I popped down to the local pharmacy, and told them what I took, and the doses. They didn't have exactly the same sizes, but pretty close, so I ended up with 20mg statin rather than 25, pretty close I thought. And the full pack (60 tablets) of Statin was €27 at the time, so not bad.
I just explained my situation and the pharmacist was happy to help. She did say it would have been easier if I'd had my repeat prescription with me though! :D

You'd have been better in Spain 20mg statins 56 /box =8.12€:)

On prescription I pay 3,25€ & 25 cents for a months BP tablets, hydrochlorothiazide 50 mg. These otc are 2,40€
I only know as I have to buy them in advance if I am going away as under the new system here with a yearly prescription you cannot get the medicines in advance of the date they are due or a couple of days either side. Might be different in other regions but not here.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Have you done this before ???

Wondering about this myself but mine include Opiates so wonder how Customs would react to the parcel
Hmm not sure on that, a sniffer dog is pretty likely to pick it out, but then it is in the correct packaging, with a prescription, and provided the addressee matches the name on the label, I would hope it would be OK.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back