Germany

Discussion in 'Germany' started by crizatuk, Jan 17, 2014.

1. crizatuk

crizatuk

Thinking of touring Germany for a few weeks/month around the beginning of September, anyone have ideas routes places to stay etc

2. gozomike

gozomike Funster Life Member Life Member

Hi.

I followed the Mosel from Koblenz down to Luxembourg and just into France last September. The German and Luxembourg part was very nice with good cycle tracks, once in France I found the river more difficult to follow. I was staying mainly on Aires and stellplatz. Thinking of following the Rhine this year.

Mike

• Like Like x 1
  3. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

You've already been advised on Mosel and Rhein. They are brilliant. The best part of the Rhein is just below Koblenz, though the Rhein falls on the Swiss border is a must see and it has a good cheap aire on the Swiss side.

But right at the bottom, a one day drive, Fussen with Germany's No.1 attraction and Garmisch Partenkirchen are hilly Germany and glorious .

Add in the Neckar and Heidelberg's excellent castle and you'll have a grand holiday.

When it's not flooded it's a country to enjoy a lot. I'll be there in July to take on The Ring.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Phill D

Phill D

5. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

6. bluemog

bluemog Funster

North's good too!

We travelled to Germany last September staying mostly on stellplatz but didn't want to go too far south. I visited Hameln where I was stationed in the Army and the stellplatz there is ideal for walking into the old town and is on a cycle track along the River Weser.

We went to Berlin via the Hartz mountains which were magnificent whilst not exactly Alpine in appearance. We stayed on a stellplatz in Berlin that had a station almost directly outside which whisked us into the city centre in 25 minutes.

I've also visited the Black Forest which is beautiful but is a bit of a trek if trying to do it on a 2 week holiday. Mind you the autobhan makes quick work of it if you don't mind missing out on seeing the real Germany

As I said you don't necessarily have to travel to the south to experience a beautiful country and sample everything that's good about Germany (which is basically everything!)

• Like Like x 1
  7. campa cola

campa cola Funster

If you are into history then Berchesgaden is a very interesting place, The Eagles Nest, the Berghoff and the underground SS HQ. The scenery is also beautiful and the lovely city of Saltzberg is not very far away. Plenty of aires to stay at as well.

I also went to Peenemunde on the Baltic coast last year, where the V1/2 terror weapons were tested and initially assembled. Essentially the birthplace of NASA. There are still large structures there at the site and a good museum. The Baltic coast is very pretty and you can stay in someone's back garden with services in many of the villages. The Baltic coast can be difficult to get to on public transport so is ideal for exploration by MH.

Eastern Germany is still very different to the west much of it rural, although the countryside has been badly damaged in many places by the erection of literally thousands of wind giant turbines.

8. lorger

lorger Funster

We have been to Germany a few times now unfortunately mainly to get somewhere,. We have stayed near Freiburg in the Black Forest and really is a stunning area. This year on our way to Sloveina we stopped at a few places there and back and one of the best was the stelplatz at Byern Munich ground where we got the train into the city lovely place to visit. We also spent a week in Berlin last September again really great city and on the way home we spent the night in a town called Madgeburg with a lovely stelplatz on the river side.

Germany is a truly stunning country and so far we have found the people to be very nice and helpful.

9. journeyman

journeyman Read Only Funster

I'm also thinking of Germany, during July. i've allocated a 25 day period for a trip abroad. This will be our first trip abroad in the van, so I fancied a country that I was familiar with. Initially thinking South Germany, but reading this thread, I do quite fancy the Baltic coast as well. Lots to think about. Including the access point….Either the Eurotunnel or maybe Dover - Ostend or similar…We have a Mutt, so the travel time on the ferry is a consideration.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  10. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

20th September to 5th October is the Munich Beer Festival - Oktoberfest. Worth going to just to see how traditional the Germans are.

You need to arrive early if you want a seat. I went on a work-related thing to Munich once while the Oktoberfest was running. The company I was visiting said they had reserved a table in one of the halls but we had to get there no later than 11 o'clock - in the morning! - to ensure we kept the table. It was hard, but we rose to the challenge. HM was paying and national pride was at stake, there were Italians and Yanks in our group. Left about 12 hours later and felt none the worse the next day. Not sure I could do it again but worth considering!

Lots of good walking in the mountains south of Munich. It is not just a winter place.

Grüß Gott!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Loujess

Loujess Read Only Funster

Berchtesgaden is the place to go. It's so easy to use the buses there and you can have a boat trip on Lake Konigsee which is really beautiful.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgn2elYuPRA"]Königssee - YouTube[/ame]

camping Belchenblik at Staufen is a lovely place to stay in the Black Forest with just a short walk to town and a fabulous patisserie. A chocolate factory is in the other direction. This site has absolutely fabulous showers.

After that, we drove along the north side of Lake Constance to the stellplatz at Lindau. Again, a lovely walk to the town which is over a bridge. We also stayed at a stellplatz at Nesselwang where you can go on a chairlift up to the top of the mountain and walk down, or ride back down, if you want to.

Have a lovely time. :BigGrin:

Ivy

• Like Like x 3
  12. Loujess

Oops - don't forget this road. Very beautiful. The stellplatz book you need for Germany is the Bord Atlas. It's in 2 volumes and quite expensive but well worth it. :BigGrin:

http://romanticroad.com/

Ivy

• Like Like x 1
  13. crizatuk

crizatuk

Re

Well thank you all very much for your tips and advice, its early days yet got to get the summer season at work out the way yet, but looking good for Germany in September.

Keep the advice and tips coming. :thumb:

14. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

I hadn't really thought about Germany but thanks to this thread I am now.

I did a boxing tour there in my teens but that seems an age ago.

I was thinking the other day that me and 4 friends did that trip and 3 are dead now, all before they were 30:Sad:

15. crizatuk

crizatuk

Re

OMG all before 30, that's terrible you better get it sorted and do it. have been looking at a few videos and guides and have to say it does look stunning, never been to Germany at all yet so its def on the cards this September.

16. crizatuk

crizatuk

stellplatz

Just wondering if there is any files to download for Tom Tom or Google earth ?

17. Loujess

This is the site we stayed at at Berchtesgaden.

http://www.allweglehen.de/en/camping/terraced-camping.html

It has a nice restaurant and you can walk down the hill outside the site and get buses in both directions. On one side of the road, the bus goes direct to Saltzberg in Austria and you can have a lovely day there. On the other side, it takes you straight into berchtesgaden town bus station. All the buses seem to leave at the same time so you just step off one and on to another. I don't know how long you are going for, but after we left there, we drove into Austria going west and stayed at Nattersee

http://www.natterersee.com/urlaub-am-campingplatz-in-tirol-en.php

The bus collects you from the gate and takes you into Innsbruck. Another beautiful city. If you do go there, the best point for views of the mountains is on the terrace directly behind reception. There are panoramic views there. :BigGrin:

Ivy

18. crizatuk

crizatuk

Re

This is the kind of trip I want to do next winter leaving September returning to the UK March/April. Bank manager is going to love me not! :Angry:

http://goo.gl/maps/qwTK4

19. teddybard

teddybard Read Only Funster

20. BreweryDave

BreweryDave Funster Life Member

Planning on this for June for 2 weeks - aiming to see some stuff, as well as visit the eura mobil and Carthago factories too(y)

Damn - the link thing didnt work with my route all loosely planned on it!
    basically - via Belgium, Luxemburg, then follow the Rhine south before cutting across to Lake Constance and Lindau, then up the 'romantic road', turning off towards Heidelburg on the 'castle road' before heading back via Luxemburg and France!