Germany - WW2 interest

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Big Nick, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Big Nick

Big Nick Funster

We are thinking of doing 1 week of our 3 week touring holiday in Germany with the other 2 weeks in France.

I'm quite familiar with France and where things are in relation to each other but don't have a clue with Germany having never been before.

I'm quite into WW2 history especially tank warfare so would like to combine some of that type of stuff into the week

Prefer not to do huge mileages every day if possible around 100 miles max so we can get pitched/parked up by lunchtime and use the afternoon for visiting somewhere and then the evening to relax

Can anyone with a similar interest who has toured Germany give me any pointers

TIA!

2. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

3. bellabee

bellabee Funster

4. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

You can visit the Möhne dam, of dambusters fame, but there isn't much to see now. They repaired it.

What is interesting to see in Germany is how they rebuilt things so well after the war was over, at least in the west.

5. rangitira

rangitira Funster

Up north on the North German Plain. Check my Spelling please "Falenbosel" could be " Falenbostel"

Also Paderborn, I, completely by mistake , attended a reunion of the "Paderborner Panzers" from memory, it was the 10th Panzer Armee , in the early 60s
    I was supposed to meet a mate I was in training with in a pub "alongside the Cathedral" (could have been church!) He didn't tell me which SIDE!! I walked in, spect I stood out like a spot on a domino, Any way they soon sussed I was a squaddie and good naturedly invited me to stay.

'spect @Tootles could tell you more cause he was once stationed there for a while

6. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

If you're over that way the eagles nest is worth a trip up to and the museum at the bottom is also interesting

• Like Like x 1
  7. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

Bastogne is well worth a visit. Loads of museum's dedicated to the battle of the bulge.

8. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Tanks? @Tootles might have some good ideas.......

9. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

Concentration camps and damms is all I remember of war time stuff when I was a kid.. Although lots of the then British barracks were German WW2 barracks but I'm not sure you can get in them.. I suspect wars are remembered more fondly by the winners..

10. Mattyjwr

Mattyjwr Funster Life Member

If you go to the east and further, into Poland, you could explore the old fortifications built in the late 1930s close to what was the old border between the two counties. If you find the fabled Nazi gold, we can go 50:50 ;)

http://polandpoland.com/miedzyrzecz_fortifications.html

11. SIFTA SAM

SIFTA SAM Read Only Funster