Germany Tips

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Timbow, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Timbow

Timbow Funster

Hi
    we are going to Germany this year possible to Blackforest Area or follow the Romantic Route first week in July for 3-4 weeks. Does anyone have any tips asdvice or recomendations that they could give us about such things as Stella Platz or Campsites, towns or areas to visit, weather at this time of year or general advice that might be useful for us.
    Timbow :Eeek:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Wyaye wires

Wyaye wires

Don't mention the war!!! :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 8
  3. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Lovely girl, but not the one you are looking for! The definitive guide to Stellplatz is the Bord Atlas, published by Reise Mobil. It is available in the UK from Vicarious Books, or just google it for other UK suppliers.
    http://www.bordatlas.de/index_en.php
    On the left hand side of the web page, there is a tab for navigation devices - this will allow you to download a POI file for your SatNav.

Also worth looking at is a site / organisation called Top Platz
    http://www.top-platz.de/Anwendungen/index.php

4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Don't make any noise or leave a stellplatz / camp site on a Sunday before 12 noon..

I did ... and have never forgotten the bollocking I got in German :RollEyes:

5. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Heidelberg Fussen and Garmish Partenkirchen are all vivid pictures in my mind.

Ooop north the Rhein and the Mosel of course.

The romantische strasse is plain black tarmac. You need to be heavily into old building and finding your way into towns for any romance.

You'll find pictures in my sig.

6. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  7. JohnM

JohnM Read Only Funster

i would try to avoid july iff possible very busy, we done black forest last year and loved it, look out for the free bus and train travel within bf area available when you pay tourist tax at sites and platz.send me a pm if you would like more info.

8. jimiol

jimiol Funster

We went last August We used motorhome guide Camperstop Europe I can't remember the price of the book but it more than paid for itself. We stayed in places for free to 12euros. I personally preferred being alongside the Moselle to the Rhine but both had numerous cheap campsites right on the banks of the river. We drove down to Konstanz which I think was our only mistake as it was packed and I mean packed with tourists, not too surprising given the time of year. Make a point of going through Luxemborg if only for the cheaper fuel.

Hardly any other Brits about.

9. jemhorn

jemhorn Funster

Germany

One thing we found was that Cash was still the preferred method of payment in many shops and restaurants. Fuel was ok by card. Great place to visit and no tolls!

10. JOHNSTEY

JOHNSTEY Read Only Funster

Rothenburg o.d.T. is the star of the show closely followed by Dinkesbuhl.
    Easy to find camping spots and generally more motorhome friendly than a lot of other parts of Europe.Enjoy:thumb:

11. lunarman

lunarman Funster

12. Coolbeanz

Coolbeanz Funster

what an amazing campsite guide, thanks for that, it is brilliant. I am downloading it as a PDF so I will have it to hand. :thumb:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  13. Nethernut

Nethernut Read Only Funster

You can get a hard copy of the campsite guide for free. I ordered online Monday evening along with a couple of tourist booklets, arrived today - that's what you call good service.

14. Coolbeanz

Coolbeanz Funster

as soon as I started to download it I noticed I could order up to 4 of the brochures to be sent so have just done that including the map. Cant wait as they look brilliant :thumb:

15. tomm2

tomm2 Read Only Funster

John . Many thanks for that excellent link to very worthwhile touring info . Have ordered the campsite info and 3 others which match our travel interests .:thumb:

16. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

If it's the same stuff as I got from the Tourist Board they ask for a donation towards costs in the accompanying letter. We'll all in it together. :RollEyes:

17. journeyman

journeyman Read Only Funster

Regarding travelling on the continent. The planning side for a first timer is a bit daunting. My initial thought is to arrive at Calais then push through France/Lux and into Germany relying on Aires and Stelleplatz, before arriving at a pre-booked campsite(not a clue where yet, but thinking the Moselle Valley first, then onto the Black Forest). Then slow the pace down and move every couple of days between pre-booked campsites.

But for example in Germany, during July/Aug as we head south or conduct long moves between areas or back to Calais, would the Stellplatze system be feasible or would I find myself late in the afternoon scrambling around trying to find a spare plot?

Thanks

18. olewilliam

olewilliam Read Only Funster

A fantastic trip

Luxembourg then follow the Rhine.Take time on the Romantic route. Neuschwanstein is a must (end of Romantic route). Suggest return through the Black Forest and Mossel valley. Fill up again in Luxembourg.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  19. beachcaster

beachcaster Read Only Funster

Can you explain why ??

barry:Smile:

20. journeyman

journeyman Read Only Funster

Ooh I like that. What about the Stelleplatz in July/Aug….Are they filled to the brim, or is there enough space to go around?