Free Member
Apr 2, 2008
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2006
i'd spend the 5 euro to be on the safe side, the first time we went, The lovely miss tomtom took us through the middle of Koln at rush hour:shout::cry::Angry:

TBH even during rush hour it was still ok

Zozzer

Free Member
Nov 4, 2007
Leigh, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Not Long Enough
Hi just has a look at ferry prices, over 4m high, 9.5m long, leaving Dover late Sat 28th Nov, back early evening 2nd Dec. Norfolk line £113, P&O 98.75 and Seafrance a whopping £176.00

P&O are not only the cheapest, but also have slightly less unsocial sailing times. ::bigsmile:

Olley

PS After looking in the Bordatlas it lists a website for the Stellplatz here: Reisemobilhafen Kln - Stellplatz fr Wohnmobile its got lecky ::bigsmile:

The only downside to this Stellplatz is the two night maximum stay.
We stayed a couple of nigt in July, the again in August. It's a cracking stellplatz and we have prebooked a couple of nights 23rd -24th November via the website.

Umwelt Zone. I was assured by Germen Motohomers, the even though the City is Green, you CAN enter any GREEN Umvelt zone with a YELLOW or RED sticker providing you are travelling to or from a place of accomodation that is pre-booked. But you CANNOT travel around the city during your stay without a GREEN sticker. Hence my reason for prebooking the stellplatz.

Tip #1, the Bord Atlas GPS coordinates are slighlty off the mark and lead us a merry dance around the centre.

Tip#2, make sure you have enough water for your stay as the motorhome service point is at the entrance along with chemical and grey disposal.

Tip#3, take plenty of loose change, 8.00€ per night, electric 1.00€ per 8 hours

Tip#4 Plenty loose change required for U-Bahn. Get on at Boltenstrenstr, the fare is 1.60€ to the centre get off at Köln Dom/Hbf one of the Xmas markets is just outside the station in front of Cathedrall.

There is another Stellplatz at

Emmy-Noether-Str.Köln-Marsdorf

Look it up on Google maps then look for the U-Bahn station. Stellpatz only 200metres from station.

Emmy-Noether-Str.Köln-Marsdorf - Google Maps

Not sure where we are going to Marsdorf, as we are thinking of heading down to Trier before we head back to Calais on the 2nd Dec.

andycotterell

Free Member
Apr 13, 2009
Europe-wide
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I can recommend the Frankfurt A.m Christmas market, having lived there for a few years during the 1990's. It's very festive and is easy to get to on public transport as it's right in the city centre (between Hauptwache and Romer). Afterwards you can take an easy walk across the river to Sachsenhausen which has a large number of bars and restaurants, including a couple of very good Irish pubs, in a very small space.

For the more "villagey" Christmas market experience you can visit some of the small towns in The Taunus hills just outside Frankfurt, such as Kronburg and Konigstein.

As others have mentioned, German Christmas markets are intended for sociable browsing and hanging out, rather than shopping, and they're all the better for it. Many of my friends / family who visited during December regarded the Christmas market as worth the trip by itself.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back