Germany Child Friendly? (1 Viewer)

Oct 3, 2012
Hastings
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since Oct 2012
WE find ourselves in the lucky position to be able to get away again at the end of the month before school starts again and as we have done France 3 times this year we are thinking of Germany, Many people have told me how great the Mosel region is, My question is how kid friendly is it? My kids are very easily pleased I'm not talking amusement parks or fun fairs they are happy with a decent playground on the Aire (stellplatz) maybe a bit of paddling or digging in sand and good cycle paths to the nearest cake shop LOL. Any recommendations for other regions in Germany welcome, We only have ten days.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Trier to Koblenz ( where to Mosel meets the Rhine ) Great trip and much hotter than you would think. Lots of lovely towns and villages, Bernkastel Kues in particular, Plenty of Stellplatz next to the river. My Kids would love it, but they are in there 40s and drink lots of wine, so depends how old your kids are ? Lots of little festivals here and there, Im sure they will have a good time.
Top tip, start looking for stellplatz mid afternoon time, they get pretty full up.
Phil

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Scottyboy
Oct 3, 2012
Hastings
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since Oct 2012
Trier to Koblenz ( where to Mosel meets the Rhine ) Great trip and much hotter than you would think. Lots of lovely towns and villages, Bernkastel Kues in particular, Plenty of Stellplatz next to the river. My Kids would love it, but they are in there 40s and drink lots of wine, so depends how old your kids are ? Lots of little festivals here and there, Im sure they will have a good time.
Top tip, start looking for stellplatz mid afternoon time, they get pretty full up.
Phil
So presumably you just stick to the road that is on the river bank the whole way? My kids are 7 and 4 not started on the wine yet

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
So presumably you just stick to the road that is on the river bank the whole way? My kids are 7 and 4 not started on the wine yet

On both banks in fact. Huge numbers of campsites. But then huge numbers of MHs.

Take care with them, it's a proper job river and easy to fall in.

Cake, we call it Blackforest Gateau but The Real Thing Schwazwalderkirchetorte ( approx ) is beyond belief. They should erect monuments to it.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Road is next to the river nearly all the way, its easy to follow. We went through Luxembourg to Trier to start the journey, you can make it in 1 day at a push, we didnt have to, but met up with some friends who did.
I dont have young kids but there were plenty about who seemed to enjoy it.
One place I will go back to, we loved it.
Phil

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Get plenty of Bratty and pomme frites down them, along with a few cases of Amstel, or Paderborner. (y)(y)

OP
OP
Scottyboy
Oct 3, 2012
Hastings
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since Oct 2012
Sounds like the Black Forest gateau has sealed the deal, that's where we'll be heading(y)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I never found Deutschland to be a 'child friendly' country. The Germans as a people tend to be very conservative, and I always felt that there, children were often seen, but never heard.

Which isn't really a bad thing, very unlike Skeggy on a Sunday, with hundreds of screaming kids crucifying cats and stuff. Nice and quite in Das Vaterland. (y)(y)

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I doubt very much you will find a playground or similar on a stellplatz, Ive never seen one in touring Germny for a month or so for the last five years. But, you will find generally that the German people are polite and friendly and they do like children. Its nothing unusual to see children in restaurants both at lunch and at evening times and because they are used to it they, for the most part, behave nicely and have good manners. Try a few German words or phrases and you will find people appreciate it and the welcome is even warmer.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I doubt very much you will find a playground or similar on a stellplatz, Ive never seen one in touring Germny for a month or so for the last five years. But, you will find generally that the German people are polite and friendly and they do like children. Its nothing unusual to see children in restaurants both at lunch and at evening times and because they are used to it they, for the most part, behave nicely and have good manners. Try a few German words or phrases and you will find people appreciate it and the welcome is even warmer.
Totally agree. Try this: Walk into any guesthouse, and say "Ich kaufe das Bier den ganzen Abend.". You will find that your family will be loved by everyone there. (y)

OP
OP
Scottyboy
Oct 3, 2012
Hastings
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since Oct 2012
I never found Deutschland to be a 'child friendly' country. The Germans as a people tend to be very conservative, and I always felt that there, children were often seen, but never heard.

Which isn't really a bad thing, very unlike Skeggy on a Sunday, with hundreds of screaming kids crucifying cats and stuff. Nice and quite in Das Vaterland. (y)(y)
Oh dear, My kids are very well behaved by English standards but have been known to get a bit rowdy on holiday.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
It's been a long time since I took my kids to Germany

We used to take the kids to the seaside in the UK, it was during the time in UK that children were not welcome anywhere. We usually drove nearly all the way home before we found anywhere we could eat and then usually in the garden regardless of the weather!

But in Germany the kids were welcome everywhere. I don't ever remember being told no or asked to sit away from the rest of the diners.

I am sure nothing has changed.(y)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I must admit not being a visitor to Germany for some little time, however, things there dont change all that much, especially in rural areas.
It all depends on where you go as to how you are received. The Germans are a very polite and proper people, but the huge influx of immigration there in recent times has made them a tad anti. I have no doubt that you will enjoy the most beautiful parts of that stunning country, but just be prepared for a somewhat tepid reception in out of the way locations.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back