Germany Cheap Internet Access

Discussion in 'Top Tips & Tricks' started by callumwa, Apr 10, 2011.

1. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

We have had a few threads recently asking about the best cheap internet access while in Europe.

I already have sim cards for Holland and Belgium with cheap internet access.
    Tomorrow I will be in Hamburg in Germany. I will buy a sim card on the FONIC network.

Its part of Telefonica group and they use the O2 network in Germany. Its €10 for the sim with I think €9.95 credit. You then send an sms to go onto their daily internet rate. That gives you unlimited internet access for just € 2.50 per day (0000-2359. :thumb::thumb:
    Normal tarif is €0.24 per Mb.

If you exceed 500mb in a day it cuts the download rate down to 64 kbs. But still plenty ok for YM chat, e-mail, MHF (not neccesarily in that order) and some surfing, albeit slowly after the first 500 mb.
    Sim cards and top ups are available in most of the usual outlets, Lidl, MediaMarkt etc....

• Like Like x 1
  2. Gooney

Gooney Funster

Whatever happened to the A and B buttons on the red public phone boxes?? do you remember as a kid stuffing paper up the return chute and collecting the returns as some disgruntled left the box after prodding the B button and not receiving his money back:Laughing:

• Like Like x 2
  3. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

Naughty boy.LOL

4. Hymerjo

Hymerjo Funster

Free Internet Worldwide

We spend summers in Europe and UK winters over in Australia - with a little notebook computer in my hand I buy a coffee in any Mcdonalds and surf the Internet for free. Even use my Skype phone connection to chat to friends worldwide. With the Apple iPhone you can get the same free WiFi without incurring any charges.

5. Delboyarapaho

Delboyarapaho Funster

Fonic network

Thanks CallumW

We are off to Europe next week mostly Germany but touching Austria, Switzerland and france too.

The suggestion of buying the Fonic sim card. Do you know if they have a 4G card? And do you know if 4G is very widely available?

6. JJ

JJ Funster

You can take a man out of Liverpool but you can't take the Liverpool out of a man! :Wink:

Hub caps anyone.... :Rofl1:

JJ :Cool:

7. ukbill

ukbill Funster

just buy the europasim people its ok for all europe countries no need for different sims it costs 3e a day when u use it 500mb then slower connection after that but in italy its 500mb then 2e for each 50mb over that as i found to my cost but in italy the cost is 2e and not 3e we have now used it in france belguim Luxembourg germany austria italy its also great when u r on the move for someone else to use in the mh
    http://www.motorhomewifi.com/catalog/3g/ check it out with them :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  8. webby1

webby1 Funster

Europasim

Another vote for the Europasim.................it's just too complicated getting a Sim for every

country and working out the best deal.

9. callumwa

My original post above was over 3 years ago. I still have a Fonic sim but the Europasim gives you basically the same deal at the same cost and works all over Europe. In Holland I use Bliep, 500 mb high speed then unlimited slow speed.... For only €0.50 per day...... :thumb:

10. callumwa

You can also use the Europasim in Italy on the €3 rate with no extra cost over 500 mb. You just have to set up the right APN.

Having said that in Italy recently I just used my UK "3" sim on the "at home" deal. No extra charge. I could do the same in the States last month as well as Ireland, Denmark an other countries. I can call text and use Internet just as if I was in UK on my UK contract.:thumb:

Hopefully by next year all roaming charges will have gone within the EU if the legislation goes through...:thumb:

11. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

there are 6 million BT wifi hotspots throughout Europe........and 7 million in the UK.

And if im correct, all you need is a BT line rental agreement to use them.

To connect easily you need to download the official BT WIFI APP then set up a BT ID account using your email address (must be registered with BT) and BT line account number.....you DO NOT need a BT broadband account.

Any hotspots in range will connect automatically with unlimited useage and is free.

We just signed up for BT broadband and this came to light while reading their web page.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  12. phoenixlyn

phoenixlyn Read Only Funster

As above, or, if you are not registered with BT, go to
    https://corp.fon.com/en
    and buy a fon unit for free access worldwide. Works with all providers after the initial cost, about £30.