Germany- 1 Little Englishman - 0

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by PhilandMena, Nov 15, 2013.

1. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

I received my 2014 BoardAtlas today, my first ever BoardAtlas.

It's in German LOL !!

The introduction is in German, The guide is in German, The details of campsites and Stellplatz is in German.

I thought I would get a copy in English or at least some English so I could understand how to use it.

Never seen that coming. Feel like a right wally, but got to laugh!

• Like Like x 2
  2. june123

june123 Read Only Funster

German stellplatz

Don't worry too much. Admittedly I speak some German but you should be able to find your around without any. The Bordatlas is very good. Work out what the symbols mean and bring up the Stellplatze on the internet, and put the coordinates into your satnav if you have one. Germany is such a good country to visit. I know you'll enjoy it. Get in touch with me if I can help at all.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SteveandSue

SteveandSue Funster

Bord Atlas

Hi once you start using it you will get the hang of it, we don,t speak any German but have used ours since 2009 and would never go to Germany without it.

Hope you have a good trip
    Steve and Sue

• Like Like x 1
  4. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

Thanks, I'll plod through it and work it out.

So Funny, I just took it for granted it would be a multi-language document especial when the online description was in English.

Good mind to go onto Angela Merkle's Facebook page and tell her I'm not a happy bunny. Perhaps she will get her cabinet on it sharpish........not!

I'll get my own back when I invade next year.

5. injebreck99

injebreck99 Funster

When we used to travel to the continent in the eighties, I could not speak any furrin language, but I went to evening classes and learned basic German, it was very useful especially when navigating with road signs, now we don't bother with internet maps etc, we know roughly where we are heading, then see what we come across on the way, much more fun that way.

• Like Like x 1
  6. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Ja ve gave you English clues in the back cover, otherwise you learn German OK.

Deutschland, Deutschland über alles,
    Über alles in der Welt,
    Wenn es stets zu Schutz und Trutze
    Brüderlich zusammenhält.
    Von der Maas bis an die Memel,
    Von der Etsch bis an den Belt,
    Deutschland, Deutschland über alles,
    Über alles in der Welt!

• Like Like x 3
  7. campa cola

campa cola Funster

like people in most countries the Germans appreciate it if you have a go at their lingo, but most of them speak english to some degree. Personally I have never had a communication problem but I can speak and understand German to a basic level.

I have been drunk with Germans a few times on my MH travels and I generally like them.

The Austrians are even friendlier and Austria in general is a great place to visit, I would recommend going there as well. I felt quite safe at night in Vienna and got the impression there is a good sense of community and community pride in their country. Something which is often lacking in other European countries.:thumb:
    If you like shopping Austria is your place, I don't think two shops in that country are the alike.:Smile:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  8. lorger

lorger Funster

We speak no German what so ever and have used the book on many occasions with very little problems, once you work out how they are listed it will be easy.

9. hilldweller

Now that is interesting. My gripe with Europe for years is city centres are all alike, same shops.

Noted for future use.

10. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

OK Getting to grips with it now thanks to Google Translator. However, I'm stumped on the the little yellow boxes with a number, on the map pages. Anyone know what these are ?
    Also, when there are two or more sites in the same vicinity how do you know which one is which. I appreciate you can go online and look at a map in more detail but I choose the book so I could work offline.

11. hilldweller

See red.

It's also worth buying a little German dictionary for when you are not on line.