German Shepherd breeders?

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Ron & Gerri, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Ron & Gerri

Ron & Gerri Funster

Morning!
    Who would have thought it could be so hard to buy a puppy? Seriously though, this is so important to us that I thought I would ask you guys before taking the next step.
    We have been studying/researching breeders for over a year. The problems come when you have a 'tick list' and don't want to compromise! This is ideally what we would like:
    • Dog, not bitch.
    • Short/regular coat
    • black and gold
    • health tested
    • raised in the home not a kennel
    • reputable breeder - most important!
    The other issue is that we would like a pup now, as we would like to get him used to the motorhome rather than wait until the Spring.
    I was hoping someone out there in Funland might have some recommendations that we could follow up.
    Any suggestions welcome!
    Cheers, Gerri

• Like Like x 1
  2. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

Nope! But I knew you would succumb

Ron 1 Gerri 0

By the way long haired are more intelligent and much better looking!

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I've been to see a dozen litters over the last six months. The breed is in a bad way. When I do find what I'm looking for I think I will definitely be looking at breeding some traditional chunky working Shepherds.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad Funster Life Member

You think "buying" a puppy from a breeder is hard - try rehoming a rescue dog :(.

So far I've either had no response, or discovered they're dodgy.
    Best hope so far is for a "retired" greyhound from a kennels with a decent reputation - but unfortunately the owner has apparently had seriously bad news about her partner & asked for a bit of time [which is fair enough]

Good luck @Ron & Gerri

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. MikeD

MikeD Funster

The breed is indeed in a bad way.

The dog that won the last big show walked like it had had it back legs broken

• Like Like x 2
  6. karl c

karl c Funster

After seeing the so call best of breed at crufts and seeing what the kennel club are now looking into with the breed.

7. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

How about a Belgian Malanois? The breeders haven't managed to screw those up yet. Plus the availability seems good.

• Like Like x 1
  8. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Dreadful looking dog.

However, if you want a good laugh or some gift ideas, have a look at "Clive's Cats"

IMG_1523.JPG

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd Funster

I've said it before & I make no apology for saying it again, I wouldn't have a KC registered dog if it came free with a box of cornflakes. Mark Evans puts it into far better words than I can so if you insist in having a pedigree or even a hand knitted (mongrel) dog please watch this video. Don't make the mistake of being arrogant & assuming that you know everything there is to know. None of know all that there is to know, every days a school day. The health of the animal you love shouldn't be in danger or have defects bred into them.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jim

Jim Ringleader

There are plenty of good GSD's that are registered with the KC Just because they are registered it does not mean they conform to the breed spec.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad Funster Life Member

Trouble is - he's with the RSPCA...
    ...and in my opinion they haven't got the best of reputations when it comes to the health & welfare of animals. The RSPCA, like many national charities are more interested in self promotion, political ambition & money raising to fund the empire.

• Like Like x 4
  12. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

I would only ever have dogs from KC Assured breeders. I'd struggle to trust any breeder that didn't want to be part of the scheme

Just because they are assured breeders does not mean they are breeding show dogs. Both of mine have good pedigrees and are from proper breeders however neither meet the breed standard for show dogs. There are however both cracking working dogs.

• Like Like x 1
  13. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

Exactly. I wouldn't give Mark Evans, or anyone else from the RSPCA for that matter, the time of day.

These days for them the welfare of animals is in a distant third place behind their political aims and the charity fundraising they carry out to fund their political aims.

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. eddievanbitz

Our two German Sheperds are KC registered and are excellent dogs. Being long haired they not shown so are more like wolves lol

I wouldn't give the RSPCA house room, to animals they are the Caravan Club, full of their own self importance, self serving and try and dress like the Police to impress!
    Our two sat in the doorway of our motorhome! They are not allowed out until we say they can so sit patiently watching for the "command" P8110870.JPG

• Like Like x 10
  15. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

I seem to recall that they make great door stops as well....... lovely dogs

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. namwaldog

namwaldog Funster

There are still good GSD's out there but, in my view, there are two distinct lines; ie the Germanic with the sloping back and powerful hindquarters and the squarer English line and they drift further and further apart.
    Most breeders show their dogs and as such become judges themselves in the shows and if the judge breeds Germanic themselves then they do not want to see examples of the English and visa versa. Because of this the breeders try to put more and more of their own traits into their dogs and the breed becomes physically further and further apart.
    When I retired my working GSD retired with me even though he was only 4yo and we used him to breed 2 litters of pups from a bitch we bought after retirement. We showed both Meko & Bo without any regard to whether the Judge was Germanic or English and enjoyed it at small local shows but once put Meko into a group that had no other entries and the Judge downright refused to give him first (out of one) as he didn't show 'the correct breed standards'
    Decided not to bother showing after that!

I wonder what Captain Max von Stephanitz would make of the breed today?

I think that it is still pot luck picking a pup at 12 weeks because with the best will in the world it is only as they mature will any 'faults' show. Breeders try to breed out faults (as they see them) but do so at the expense of other traits.

It all depends what you want the breed for.
    If you want to go on and show or breed them then it is a minefield as what is written on the pedigree is often looked on as more important than what the dog looks like.
    If you want a dog that is a companion then it doesn't matter what they look like or who their parents were.

Sorry I can't help with finding a GSD for you but as above, a lot depends on what you want one for

We enjoyed them when we had them and often wish we had them now!

P1010061.JPG

P1010032.JPG

P1010038.JPG

Not that they were spoiled!!

Dogs9.JPG

• Like Like x 9
  17. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

After going down the road of various GSD rescues, I would not bother...

Trolled internet and free adds papers and web sites and found what we have...

Could not ask for a more loving faithful dog.... and comes into her own at night time...

Obedient`ish, gives paw`s.. sit`s..etc and is house trained..

We certainly fell on our feet with her.... only down side is she is not a good car traveller... :frowny: But that`s not the end of the world..

She has filled out and grown in the few weeks we have had her..

Vet gave her a terrific clean bill of health and good hip score.. :wub:

Been offered more than I paid.. And Judy said no.. not for sale.. and that`s from someone who did not want a dog.. :giggler: :Grin:

Think it would be cheaper if I got another Mo-home.. :RollEyes::BigGrin:

Latest photo... and now know her to be 9 & half months old..

DSC01843 (600 x 450).jpg DSC01864 (600 x 450).jpg

.PS. She don`t half give some deep Woof.. Woofs to Brian & Jo... when she sees them... :nod::nod::rofl:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
    • Like Like x 4
  18. eddievanbitz

And they Growl on command, hence the name Growler for our security system P8110866.JPG

• Like Like x 7
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. JJ

JJ Funster

Mr Vanbitz... I can see it in their eyes... they want to rip me apart and have me for brekky... just like that Daisy bitch of Old Mo's... I'm staying over here in Portugal.

JJ :cool:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. eddievanbitz

@old-mo

Rescue Remedy! Homoeopathic cure, so I was dead sceptical when it was recommended to us for Sabre the older dogs travel sickness! Lyn bought the bottle with the rubber top and a couple of drops squirted on to his tongue stopped it instantly and we even stopped using the Rescue Remedy after about 12 months

Barrett & Holland, Boots anywhere like that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1