Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I will buy what ever I want from what ever manufacturer as long as it suits my needs.
I am really impressed by our swift, if it falls apart then so be it, but it is a great van as far as Im concerned. :thumb:
when it comes to changing it I will buy what ever I fancy at that time. I will choose on Layout, and it suiting my needs. It will fall in to 3 categories, Budget van, Middle of the road and or Mark of distinction. I actually do not think Hymer fit in to the 3rd category any more. I think that's more Concorde, Cathargo territory.

But most of all, I will buy the best van i can afford with the money i have available which ever country it comes from.

You are right haggers the Hymer have dropped..a lot of the Germans are not happy with then either...we looked at them at the Paris show, as the Hymers was one of the vans on our shopping list....we soon discarded them and walked on, it was more like shopping at MFI.(printed mdf) the colours the quality they did not feel quality any more......I still like Hymers... the well built ones..the older models that have stood the test of time and still going..if was to buy a Hymer it would be 2002 to 2003 "s" class on the lines of this one

Link Removed

or this one

Link Removed

NOT A NEW ONE....sorry:Doh:

Mel

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
fairly
I've said it before and I'll say it again John - eat everything you need to (ie watch your portion size!) but cut down on the carbohydrate content! You can go a lot further on a boiled egg or bacon and egg, than you can on a bowl of cereal. Insulin is a growth hormone and the more you inject 'to cover the carbs', the more weight you will put on.

OK if you ARE Haggers and are doing the exercise and aren't diabetic, then carbs are OK. But if Steve Redgrave (T2 diabetic) can win Olympic Gold Medals AND curb the carbs - then any of us who don't do that kind of exercise, can manage without so many.

And choose your booze wisely; some things have a lot more calories and carbs - eg beer. Wine - esp red wine - is better all round. Just don't drink a similar quantity and don't quaff it like beer LOL

Jenny

One thing in my defence is I am twice as tall as haggers I am 6ft 5.5in so somewhat relative and no I am not interested in being super fit either.:winky:

I am happy as I am thank you very much :winky:..........now when I were younger was slimmer and fitter:winky: cleaning endless cars all day:thumb:

Last edited:

kickstart

Free Member
Dec 13, 2008
south yorkshire, Benidorm
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
4 years
In the current climate should we be buying British ?

Can the Brits compete with all those famous (expensive) German marques Hymer, Burstner Dethleffs etc. What has our industry got to do to trounce em? Are they still much better than ours these days?

Bought German last time, but impressed with some of the U.K manufacturers such as the Bentley range and R.S (both local South Yorkshire by the way) not cheap, but quality and lots of thought gone into design.
As others have said,you would by the best you could afford no matter where it was built.:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ciderman

Free Member
Jul 2, 2011
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer 754
Exp
4 years old
the main thing i have noticed is nobody has mentioned keeping the mh for a long time so really you are all talking about resale and how much money it will cost to change IMHO any mh with a wooden frame is suspect so a hymer to 2004 or a new bailey bit crappy inside but damp banished due to plastic framing ( hymer aluminium) also winter use a must,the days of using a major purchase for 5-7 months of the year are surely long gone so all year comfort is a givern :thumb:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
the main thing i have noticed is nobody has mentioned keeping the mh for a long time so really you are all talking about resale and how much money it will cost to change IMHO any mh with a wooden frame is suspect so a hymer to 2004 or a new bailey bit crappy inside but damp banished due to plastic framing ( hymer aluminium) also winter use a must,the days of using a major purchase for 5-7 months of the year are surely long gone so all year comfort is a givern :thumb:

Good point re the framing. My RV was aluminium framed and was 22 years old when I sold it. Quality built and still going strong. The MH I have now is aluminium framed so am hoping to get a few years out of it. What I have found is when the Germans say "Fully winterised" they mean just that,not just put a dump valve on the water heater.:Doh:
Whilst fitting an extra tank on a Tabbert I had to cut a hole in the sidewall for the filler and was surprised to find the wall was over 3" thick. All tanks and piping are inboard and all lockers are heated. Double skinned floors are the norm along with double burner heating systems. Anyone buying a MH at today's prices whether it be new or secondhand must take into account that is it fit for all year round use. If not its not fit for purpose in my book regardless of where its made and how much it cost.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Old Hymers are BEST!

My 1987 is a beauty. Try comparing my 1987 660S with a UK built one of the same age and layout...

What? Can't find anything to compare it with?

See you in Marjal...

Mancini for Archbishop...

JJ :Cool:

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
I always liked the big burstners...but what amazes me is the decision to
"upgrade" the interiors with white or cream leather. Im not ever likely to spend 90k on a motorhome but....

Who in their right mind wants pale or white leather .After all its is still gloryfied camping !

You can take some things too far up market !

barry

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Old Hymers are BEST!

My 1987 is a beauty. Try comparing my 1987 660S with a UK built one of the same age and layout...

See you in Marjal...

You would be hard pressed finding a 1987 UK built MH still on the road. But if you did what would you find and would you trust it to drive to Portugal ???

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Old Hymers are BEST!

See you in Marjal...

Be nice to see it over here JJ as many have said it's a peach of a van:thumb:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
"upgrade" the interiors with white or cream leather. Im not ever likely to spend 90k on a motorhome but....

Who in their right mind wants pale or white leather .After all its is still gloryfied camping !

barry

err, me and Mrs Haganap :Blush:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years

barry

If my dealer had offered me £10k more for mine (rather than take the piss) I would have bought a Burstner Elegance 2011 2 months ago. Complete with White leather etc.

It is only camping but why not enjoy it if you can ?

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
In the current climate should we be buying British ?

Can the Brits compete with all those famous (expensive) German marques Hymer, Burstner Dethleffs etc. What has our industry got to do to trounce em? Are they still much better than ours these days?
i have an American RV British can never build as good shame to say :RollEyes:

ciderman

Free Member
Jul 2, 2011
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer 754
Exp
4 years old
Originally Posted by beachcaster Link Removed

barry

err, me and Mrs Haganap :Blush:

but the thing with leather is if you spill any fluids on it wipe clean job great for the incontinent or sexually active amongst us

Last edited:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We have a British built van and yes it is more basic/entry level than others but at this time it suits us both in layout and pocket. As for German as a child i always wanted to own a Merc car and last summer even dragged Lorraine and Sophie around the museum in Stuggart. When we came home we where changing our car and looked at new mercs and must admit thought they where very over priced for what you got in my opinion paying for a badge so bought a new Civic instead and really pleased with it and although not 100% British it is built here.

Saying that we do like the new Hymer B504

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
fairly

One thing in my defence is [HI]I am twice as tall as haggers I am 6ft 5.5in[/HI] so somewhat relative and no I am not interested in being super fit either.:winky:

I am happy as I am thank you very much :winky:..........now when I were younger was slimmer and fitter:winky: cleaning endless cars all day:thumb:

Is Haggers just 3ft 2.75ins then :roflmto:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We would really, really like the option to buy a British MH.

The decision is taken out of our hands the moment we dictate we want to use it off-grid in harsh winter conditions, not just for 8 months of the year on a CC site.

'Grade 3' insulation and other such marketing bull isn't going to make up for inadequate heating, titchy uninsulated under-slung water tanks, a tiny washroom and ineffective front wheel drive.

Sorry British manufacturers, until you raise the bar, we'll be shopping in the EU.:Sad:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
We would really, really like the option to buy a British MH.

The decision is taken out of our hands the moment we dictate we want to use it off-grid in harsh winter conditions, not just for 8 months of the year on a CC site.

'Grade 3' insulation and other such marketing bull isn't going to make up for inadequate heating, titchy uninsulated under-slung water tanks, a tiny washroom and ineffective front wheel drive.

Sorry British manufacturers, until you raise the bar, we'll be shopping in the EU.:Sad:

well I will report back in a few months then, As a regular motorhome skier I am off to -25 conditons in my double floored well insulated Bessacarr. I have to do a lot of work my self to get it ready but dont think it is any different to the continental vans I used to own, just more comfy cosy and better looking.:thumb:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Hi Haganap

I believe your Bessy is the one exception to the usual specification of British motorhomes!

Still wouldn't buy a FWD again though!!!!!!::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back