Genny Transport

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Hellboy, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Hellboy

Hellboy Funster

Just wondered were you transported your Genny in the van
    Obviously got the Petrol to consider and we don't really have a suitable locker :cry:

2. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

Our genny goes in the man shed (garage) locker.
    The fuel goes in a side skirt locker which is not airtight and below the floor level. :thumb:

3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

my Kipor gennie lived under the seating in the lounge area along with 5ltrs of petrol....too big to fit through the outside locker door so lifted the seat base and lowered it in.

never a problem and no smell unless i had just filled the 5ltr can.

air-valve cap (by design) on the gennie and a proper fitting cap on the can.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

Been thinking about this one for a while but someone told me a while ago, please correct me if I'm wrong.
    We use our engine to charge the batteries which it does in around half an hour,
    enough for our use any way.
    Why are generators on for hours at a time and why carry a spare engine in the van when we have one that will do 2 things charge the batteries and propel the van

• Like Like x 3
  5. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

Our's lives under the bed in the back and I do not carry a can of fuel. I use a syphoning tube and draw fuel from the scooter as and when it needs toping up ( not that I have used it from months ) and then next run out on scooter fill back up.....

6. Landy lover

Landy lover Funster

Because they are charging through the onboard charging system same as if you were on EHU - much slower than vehicle alternator

Probably because leaving your van engine on tick over for 1/2 an hour does not do the van engine any good - they are designed to work not tick over for extended periods.

• Like Like x 3
  7. icantremember

icantremember Funster

I thought the same when we were buying our gennie and didn't want the worry of carrying petrol on board. Although we have very rarely used it and carry it "just incase" we decided that as we always have lpg anyway it made good sense to get a Honda with a gas conversion.

A little more expensive initially but with none of the associated risks, smells and inconvenience of petrol. :thumb:

8. Landy lover

Landy lover Funster

Totally agree with you Brian but if you check the warranty on Hondas as soon as LPG is fitted their 5 year warranty finishes :Eeek: even though they will supply and fit an LPG conversion. By the way although Hondas are quiet anyway do you find it any quieter with LPG than petrol

9. Terry

Terry Funster

More likely the onboard charger will charge quicker than the alternator that in most vans have skinny inefficient wiring to the LB :Smile:
    Engines are designed to work to the amount of fuel stuck into it be that on tick over or 4k revs :thumb: tick over will not harm it :Smile:
    There will be very few times most people will need a genny-if at all- the engine makes a very good emergency genny :thumb: if a little more fuel is used :BigGrin: if you take into account the cost of a suitcase genny , probably 250 quid for a cheaper one, it's a lot of unessesary expense for what a run to the shops or an hours tickover can do :BigGrin:
    I suggest you stick a extra LB where the genny lives :BigGrin: at least you would get use from it instead of IN CASE
    terry

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hellboy

Hellboy Funster

Thanx for all your replies it has certainly gave me a few ideas
    I was thinking of fitting a tool chest type box on the rear cycle rack to store the Genny...Honda eu10i only 13kg so should be okay for weight
    On another note does anybody run their Genny in a sound proofed box...obviously leaving opening for exhaust and air...friends have a noisier Genny...:Eek!:

11. icantremember

icantremember Funster

Hi Bill, I bought mine second hand some years ago with the conversion already fitted and it is certainly out of any warranty period now.

As far as noise is concerned, it is certainly fairly quiet but I have never compared it with one running on petrol although word has it that it should be slightly less noisy.

Mine came with a 12v lead I have never used but I believe this can be connected directly to a battery for faster charging than the onboard charger.

• Like Like x 1
  12. icantremember

icantremember Funster

I think you would get noise and vibrations transferred through the vehicle and it may be vulnerable as gennies have little legs you know.

13. voyager 1

voyager 1 Read Only Funster

My genny lives in the former gas bottle locker, gas is now supplied via underslung lpg tank.

:Smile:

14. Terry

Terry Funster

It's my understanding that the 12v lead/output is limited to around 4 to 6 amps max so plugging into you 240 hook up would be better / quicker as it would power the onboard charger at prob around 20 amps :Wink:
    terry

15. Hellboy

Hellboy Funster

Didn't intend running the Genny on the back of the van only for transport and I was thinking of using the alarm loop which is fitted for the bikes for security...

• Like Like x 1
  16. JJ

JJ Funster

So I am parked in one of my favourite, out of the way spots in the middle of nowhere soaking up the scenery...

Stupidly, being old and forgetful I have left my headlights (which I switched on going through a tunnel) on and the battery has gone flat...

How do I start my engine in order to charge up my batteries?

Rufty Tufty Off Site Motorhomes have a generator.

I keep my whisper quiet, highly reliable and extremely affordable Kipor in the rear locker along with 5 litres of fuel in a can.

I have done for a decade.

I am still alive...

JJ :Cool:

• Like Like x 8
  17. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

Rutty tufty Eco motor homers have a solar panel ,if you fit a relay ,as you sit in your out of the way spot soaking up the scenery your batteries could be soaking up the free power of the sun!

Vlad

18. Terry

Terry Funster

JJ you simply swap L/B for engine battery (or jump leads :Wink:)Once shes running and put some charge back into engine battery swap back :thumb::BigGrin:---I did say in lots of cases no genny needed :Wink:A rufty tufty camper like yours will have plenty of space in which to store a genny IF and when needed :BigGrin:
    terry

19. JJ

JJ Funster

Indeed Mr Terry I could struggle, with bended back and squashed tummy, to lug one of my heavy leisure batteries to close enough for my jump leads to reach the engine battery (after spending 45 minutes to find the right sized spanners to undo the connectors)... start the engine... disconnect the jump leads... lug the leisure battery back into position... spend 20 minutes finding the spanners that I just had a minute ago to retighten the connectors... then look for the Swafega to clean the muck off my hands... and try to remember to put the spanners away somewhere I will remember...

OR...

I could just fire up my easy to start, whisper quiet, economical to run, bright yellow so easy to find, highly affordable, pure sine wave Kipor 750... plug it into the EHU socket and sip a beer in the sunshine while it charges up the battery(s).

I suppose we all choose the methods which suit us best...

JJ :Cool:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
    • Like Like x 6
  20. Terry

Terry Funster

Ahhhh I see your point :Wink: but in my rufty tufty van it only takes about five mins to swap batteries --- lift seat,lift slats, pull back carpet,grab ajustable spanner from gas locker and undo the battery conectors - lift out battery -reconnect job done :thumb: Of course in 13 yrs it's only happened once :BigGrin: soon leart to turn CD player off :Wink:In theory I would have been carrying around a genny for 13 yrs that I have never needed :Wink:
    terry

• Like Like x 1