Genny or B to B-charger a question from Colin (1 Viewer)

Oct 3, 2012
Hastings
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since Oct 2012
I'm just starting to look into this whole battery to battery business and came across this from ctek

http://www.ctek.com/gb/en/chargers/D250S DUAL

I would be interested to hear your views on this? Does it do the same as the sterling? I am planning on adding a solar panel at some point too and liked the fact I could connect straight to this.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
http://www.ctek.com/gb/en/chargers/D250S DUAL

I would be interested to hear your views on this?
It's the one I would go for.

If you want the complete 12v power management system, team it with the SmartPass from the same company.

A lot depends on what 12v control system you have already & what you are prepared to throw away & replace with better kit.

One thing to beware of with all B2B systems is that they get their fast charge ability by raising the charging voltage to 14v+. This can affect anything you run simultaneously that is sensitive to over voltage. The SmartPass prevents this, so long as you wire everything through it correctly.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
It's the one I would go for.

If you want the complete 12v power management system, team it with the SmartPass from the same company.

A lot depends on what 12v control system you have already & what you are prepared to throw away & replace with better kit.

One thing to beware of with all B2B systems is that they get their fast charge ability by raising the charging voltage to 14v+. This can affect anything you run simultaneously that is sensitive to over voltage. The SmartPass prevents this, so long as you wire everything through it correctly.

You should always ensure your auxiliary batteries are isolated from everything but the charger during charging to prevent confliction with other circuits.
The way to achieve this is by using a a D+ or ign switched heavy duty 5- pin relay, utilising the normally-closed contacts.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
You should always ensure your auxiliary batteries are isolated from everything but the charger during charging to prevent confliction with other circuits.
The way to achieve this is by using a a D+ or ign switched heavy duty 5- pin relay, utilising the normally-closed contacts.
Agreed, but I wonder how many are actually fitted like this - & not everyone wants all the habitation electrics to go off as soon as you start the engine.

I know a lot of vans that have fast chargers fitted from new are - quite correctly - set up like this, but I'll bet a lot of after market ones aren't.

It means that if you have phones, laptops, iPads etc charging via 12v chargers while stationary, you have to move them all over to the engine battery outlet to continue charging them while driving. The SmartPass avoids this. Of course, if you know what you are doing, you can solve the problem yourself much more economically by sourcing & fitting your own DC Voltage regulator on the leisure battery output.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
If you isolate your batteries via a relay during charging, the habitation electrics won't switch off on non-NCC approved vans.
This is because the habitation electrics will still function via the original split charge relay.:thumb:
I've installed several now, the method works!::bigsmile:

Not having the leisure battery isolated during charging means that the charger will not read the battery's state of charge correctly and bulk charge will continue indefinitely. As long as the battery being charged is being constantly discharged, the charge will never reach a float condition.
Besides, think about it, if you don't isolate your battery during charging, the harger input is connected to the output by the original split charge relay!
An interesting point to note about Schnaudt Electrobloks though, is that they seem to not to enable split charging when another charging scource is present at the leisure battery, ie. A B2B charger!
You have it easy with the Globecar!

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Agreed, but you've made me realise that we are talking about slightly different scenarios. But I think we've monopolised this thread long enough & we're probably not helping answer the original question any more, so I'll shut up now!

You are right - the Globecar comes with a pretty good system already installed - good enough that it's certainly not cost effective to start again.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Agreed, but you've made me realise that we are talking about slightly different scenarios. But I think we've monopolised this thread long enough & we're probably not helping answer the original question any more, so I'll shut up now!.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I gave up following the thread ages ago! :ROFLMAO:

Seriously though, thanks for all your input though.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back