beltsandbraces

Free Member
Feb 14, 2017
worthing
Funster No
MH
lunar 780
Exp
we are collecting our new motorhome next week and I like to keep all bases covered. I have been looking at buying a suitcase generator and I know that using it while around others is not going to be acceptable. But if we were to go (freeloading) lol wild camping I feel it would be a worthwhile bit of kit to have (although expensive) just in case of running batteries flat etc. anyone bought one and felt it an unnecessary expense or has it proved being worth every penny.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
But if we were to go (freeloading) lol wild camping

"Freeloaders" don't stop that long in one place so the engine does the charging.

Don't go looking for trouble, wait till you find a need then make a purchase.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
we are collecting our new motorhome next week and I like to keep all bases covered. I have been looking at buying a suitcase generator and I know that using it while around others is not going to be acceptable. But if we were to go (freeloading) lol wild camping I feel it would be a worthwhile bit of kit to have (although expensive) just in case of running batteries flat etc. anyone bought one and felt it an unnecessary expense or has it proved being worth every penny.
We have one (Hyundai 1KVa model) wouldn't be without it, but it only gets light use.
It has been used during several power cuts at home, and when we attend meets, we give the batteries a boost if we run out of electricity. We also go to Formula 1 a lot, and it gets a fair thrashing when we go to them! :D

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Youve started off well here BE !!

Generators will cause more form rage than your freeloading v ignorance thread !

You will have to weigh up the pros and cons yourself. extra weight, cost and noise vs possibly going with some electric and/or heating.

From my own individual opinion (which will be wrong to some) and based upon how i use a motorhome, the solar panels are the better option for me with a couple of batteries.

Having said that and stayed at numerous aires over the lat 5 years or so in France I cannot say i have noticed a jenny running to my annoyance. They must be useful but i havent found that out yet.

Wacky races on opinions is about to start below

Upvote 0

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I have a Hyundai 2000sei with remote start need for medical equipment, our new van next month only has 95 ah leisure battery and will have a large compressor fridge so I might use it even more.
I will be looking to fit a second leisure battery and solar though.

John.

Upvote 0

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I have lived in my van for decades and decades and would never go anywhere without my genny on board.

If you are staying on sites with hook up for most of the time, you probably won't need one.

I have been down in the Algarve since just before Christmas, haven't been on EHU at all, and my three solar panels have given me more than enough power for my life.

However, in the past, I have left my lights on by mistake whilst in the middle of nowhere and the genny was very useful then.

I also use it when I want to cook a pie...

As you should know... with a belt AND braces your trousers tend to stay up...

JJ :cool:

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Generators have their uses and while 10 years ago most every other camper had one, these days they are just not necessary for most of us.

They are heavy items that need special storage considerations, they are expensive and security needs to be considered, then there is the petrol storage and smell. Couple this with the fact that even the best generators are noisy under load and for the cost of a genny you can fit a power solution that won't make your neighbours hate you. It's no wonder they are not as popular as they once were.

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
To be fair, I think the OP is trying to work out whether he needs one, so he wants all opinions, negative and positive. Until you've been out and used the van @beltsandbraces I don't think you will know your power requirements.
For the time being, I would suggest getting out there and using the thing. Then as time goes by, you will gradually build up a list of stuff you really need. Don't forget, most all of our vans are fitted with a generator, it usually develops around 130hp, and as an added bonus, it moves the van as well :D

For us it turned out that the Genny was on the list of things we really needed. We do also have solar and inverter, but it is nice to have a backup solution!

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
1/ Second leisure battery, as big as will fit - but try to match it with the existing.

2/ Solar panels - as much as will fit (min 100 watts, 300 is probably more than enough). Downside, not much use in UK winters!

3/ Battery-to-battery charger. Keeps batteries properly looked after and will also put in sufficient charge in an emergency with half an hour of engine running.

This setup suits our motorhome use perfectly but others requirements will be different. Go out and use your new van before spending any (more) money to find out what YOU need.

I'd like to bet there are dozens of generators bought "just in case" that now languish in the back of sheds unused.

Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
But if we were to go (freeloading) lol wild camping I feel it would be a worthwhile bit of kit to have (although expensive) just in case of running batteries flat etc.

Spend your money on solar panels, extra batteries and an inverter. Silent and whole lot less trouble

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
If you use the van a lot in winter, solar panels aren't going to put much power into the batteries and there have been numerous threads on here and elsewhere stating that runnng the engine when not under load could damage it. ( it's also a lot noisier than a generator and you will annoy people if they are nearby). So, bearing this in mind, a generator might sound the ideal solution.
But, if you are going to be wilding or moving a lot, then by using the vehicle daily, you will keep the batteries charged up.
My solution would be to fit the biggest leisure battery ( or batteries) that you can and get a decent sized solar panel.
Get a generator by all means (we have a Honda powered 1000watt unit that fits easily into an outside accessed locker) for when all else fails, you may find you rarely use it, if at all.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
beltsandbraces

beltsandbraces

Free Member
Feb 14, 2017
worthing
Funster No
MH
lunar 780
Exp
thank you for the replies. the dealer has told us that there is only one leisure battery fitted which surprises me on a van that size so I asked about piggy backing a second one which he advised against, as his workshop would not do that (what is the issue there?) this battery is fed by a solar panel. as for the purchase of a generator, we have already planned several trips and see how we go before we we invest.

Upvote 0
Nov 28, 2010
Torrevieja, Spain
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip H720
Exp
December 2011
What is the difference between running the engine to use a b2b charger and running a genny to charge the batteries. Yes I have a built in genny it was already fitted when I brought the van, very rarely use it , but when very hot used it to run aircon

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
thank you for the replies. the dealer has told us that there is only one leisure battery fitted which surprises me on a van that size so I asked about piggy backing a second one which he advised against, as his workshop would not do that (what is the issue there?) this battery is fed by a solar panel. as for the purchase of a generator, we have already planned several trips and see how we go before we we invest.
Too busy to bother is the only possible reason as there is no problem actually doing it

Upvote 0

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I have a Honda 10i, got it when they first came out. Used it a lot then, what with kids and wife's hairdryer. Now it only comes out once a year for 4 day New Year Rally.(y)

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Too busy to bother is the only possible reason as there is no problem actually doing it
Seems like very reasonable advice.
Similarly i can think of no reason other than not wanting to do it (which isnt a reason)
20 minutes work if you have to take the seat out.
I am interested in what van and from whom though

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
You will find that many of us, including me, run 2 leisure batteries wired in parallel and have a solar panel, or my case two panels, to charge them. And it worked well on my previous motorhome and works well with my new one.

He just can't be bothered.

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
You will find that many of us, including me, run 2 leisure batteries wired in parallel and have a solar panel, or my case two panels, to charge them. And it worked well on my previous motorhome and works well with my new one.

He just can't be bothered.
So far as I can tell, new motorhomes come "out of the box" with one leisure battery. On the big ones, that just isn't enough, last year we got Mr. Bitz to take us from one to two leisures, and that was sort of OK, but on a 2 night stint with no EHU we were finding that we'd run out of electricity.
Working on the principal that more is more, we revisited me Bitz and had two more batteries fitted. We are now running four leisure batteries, which seems to work really well, We recently did a 4 night wild camp and still had enough power to run the coffee machine, even with no sun! only thing is, the Bitzmeister @eddievanbitz has advised me that I need a decent charger to deal with all the power, so I foresee another visit to Cornish Farm in my near future :D

Upvote 0

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
When we had our first motorhome we bought a genny and soon realised it was a mistake. Wherever it was stored in the van it smelled of petrol, we never used it as often as we thought and as others have said even the quiet ones are noisy. Personally I can't see the need for an invertor (unless its medical)as most needs can be acomplished with 12 volt, they are also a fast route to knackering your battery.

Upvote 0
Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
What is the difference between running the engine to use a b2b charger and running a genny to charge the batteries. Yes I have a built in genny it was already fitted when I brought the van, very rarely use it , but when very hot used it to run aircon

Have nearly the same van as @mickymouse and agree with what he says.
Its nice to know the genny is there though just in case.

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Personally I can't see the need for an invertor (unless its medical)as most needs can be acomplished with 12 volt, they are also a fast route to knackering your battery.
Well here is a list;) :-

Sky + box
Hairdryer
2 x 36" LED TV's
Curling tongs
Toaster
Computer
Dyson upright
Dyson hand held
Remoska
Heated towel rail

To name but a few, powered by a 2600w pure sine wave inventor. No problem with batteries, my 6 x 135 Ah batteries cope just fine, topped back up by my 3 x 150w solar panels.

I do have a built in 6kva generator which powers everything, and charges the batteries via a multi stage 100 amp charger. My on road charging peaks at around 180amp according to my on board battery management system.

It can be done and made to work, but needs thinking through.

Upvote 0

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We tend to rely on hook up or 12v
2 x 135ah batteries

Fire stick
No hairdryer unless on hook up
1 24 inch tv
(Use an ipad as a tv in the bedroom)
Toaster on hook up or use the gas grill
Laptop .. charges from 12v or hook up
Brush.. one of those rubber bristle ones (awesome for dog hairs on rugs)and a dustpan and brush
Double skillet (gas)
No heated towel rail ...

We never wild camp and we cope just fine .. we do have a generator but only take it sometimes if we're going somewhere cold or skiing.

Upvote 0

frankw

Free Member
Dec 3, 2016
Funster No
Exp
I'm a newbie too… bought my ol' Hymer late last year with 2x leisure batts+solar - that extra was on the priority list.

Us newbies look at things with a fresh pair of eyes… if you are in funds, buy a generator (I went for a Honda 20i - you won't find better for the $), I am on my maiden Spanish trip 10th of next month - regrettably… s^!t happens; but I assure you it won't be a dead battery that ruins my day or heaven forbid causes crew to suffer a bad hair day and that son is priceless, bank them brownie points! :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
they are also a fast route to knackering your battery.

Why have people taken to assuming inverters are the work of the devil?
Once and for all

They use a very small percentage more power than any similar 12V appliance.
They are not the cause of premature death of batteries

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Why have people taken to assuming inverters are the work of the devil?
Once and for all

They use a very small percentage more power than any similar 12V appliance.
They are not the cause of premature death of batteries

I think it really depends what you are running on them, last night in the van we had the inverter on to do various light duties, charging daughters kindle fire, wifes iPad and both iPhones. when one of the sockets came free I charged up my vape. On the 12v side we had on all of these: we were watching the telly, so we had the Sat Decoder on as well, which powers a small NAS drive. Our battery monitor peaked at 6.9 amps, so not a huge amount to be fair.

The killer is when wifey goes to make a cappuccino, that uses a fair bit of power, and she does do it a lot! :D

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Reading above some people use inverters to charge phones and tablets, why not just use USB sockets straight off the battery, works for us. I fitted a couple of extra USB's last year and use them all the time.

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Reading above some people use inverters to charge phones and tablets, why not just use USB sockets straight off the battery, works for us. I fitted a couple of extra USB's last year and use them all the time.
The answer is sheer laziness! :D
Our 12 sockets on the dash only work when the ignition is on, I could very easily make them live when the hab power is on, but I have an inverter, so why bother! :D

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back