LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
honda quieter than any other but this shows in the price my preference because i have 1 is the kipor

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
"Honda"
:thumb:​

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
After comparing spec on all available I just bought a new Honda EU10i for £699.99 delivered , its a beaut :thumb:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Honda:thumb:.................................I have both Honda & Kipor...but Honda :thumb: wins hands down

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Depends on what best you mean?

Best quality OR Best value?
Honda and Clarke IG1000

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
I'm going to be different and say the Hyundai, seems every bit as good as the Honda's the Honda maybe very slightly quieter but the price difference is staggering , Honda EU10i also has a rated output of 900w where as the Hyundai HY1000si is rated at 950w, Honda 52db @7m at quarter load, Hyundai 58 db @7m with no load, Honda EU10i £619 plus vat Hyundai HY1000si £365 plus vat after using both at various times I'm more than happy with the Hyundai that I have now, being a little more noisy doesn't really make that much difference to me in the real world.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I'm going to be different and say the Hyundai, seems every bit as good as the Honda's the Honda maybe very slightly quieter but the price difference is staggering , Honda EU10i also has a rated output of 900w where as the Hyundai HY1000si is rated at 950w, Honda 52db @7m at quarter load, Hyundai 58 db @7m with no load, Honda EU10i £619 plus vat Hyundai HY1000si £365 plus vat after using both at various times I'm more than happy with the Hyundai that I have now, being a little more noisy doesn't really make that much difference to me in the real world.

There you are and you can get Hyundai's from Johns Cross! :thumb:
http://www.johnscross.co.uk/hyundai-hy1000si-generator.html

Peter

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
g8ysn

kippor ? no matter what you use [ do you connect an earth lead] had an expensive lesson at newark this year:cry:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
What happened then, :Eeek: let us all know for future reference Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

from memory of a different thread he fried the fuse box and charger due to lack of earth.

general opinion is it was a major power surge/spike...not an earth problem.

my kipor produces 300volts ac per phase (that s a potential of 900 volts ac) and if that slips past the inverter module it will fry anything.

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
You might think, that occasional use means it would be better to buy a cheap one, but its just doesn't work like that.

If you can afford it, I would always recommend buying the Honda. They really are superb and will easily outlive most any other engine out there, especially when there are long periods between use.

That said. If you are a fulll timer, or you intend using the genny a lot, then you can easily get by with a Kipor as it seems it's the inactivity that kills them. I know full timers that have used a cheap Kipor almost daily for years on end with no problem at all If you only intend to use it a little, the cheap one will probably let you down, unless you are disciplined to run it under load regularly.

Kipor/Honda/other They are all noisy when under load.

tinkering

Free Member
Feb 25, 2009
dorset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1972
Tennyson

I have been useing Hondas since 1973.

Not once have they ever let me down,when it was time to buy a newer version they all sold like hot cakes,I now have a EU2i ,faultless.

The secret to any Gennys longevity is to make it work now and again, when its connected to your van use the 240 ac to power the water heater ,fridge etc..

Cheap no good

Good no cheap

We are off to the Great Dorset Steam Fair in a minute,so the Honda will earn its keep all of next week.

Take care Les::bigsmile:

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
g8ysn

bought cheep genny to power wife,s mobility scooter / breathing aids , connected it to van, accidently switched heater on ,to much 4 genny surges blew cricuit attached to main fuse box
water electrick elements / wifes breathing machine, all sorted now bought kippor and fitted earth lead, never 2 old 2 learn:cry:

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Posed same question on here two months ago, checked out many makes on rallies, eventually bit the bullet and bought a 1kw Honda for £699 with free next day delivery and a 5 year domestic warranty. Brilliant and should we ever pack up motorhoming its nice to know they hold price so well we'd get a good return selling on fleabay. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Its also good for powering strimmer around the garden and saves laying out several power cables. ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
In my full time living Wagon (aka The Black Beast) I have solar panels (4) and a Sterling B2B charger and a CTek mains charger and a (value for money) Kipor.

I simply never have swallowed this rubbish about something being better because it is more expensive...

Of the Kipors I have had (2), the older one has been temperamental over the decade I have owned it but still serves me well even after severe misuse!

The little one has been flawless since I bought it over 2 years ago. I noted at Malvern this model was selling for £269.

But I think everyone should spend their money however they want. :thumb:

JJ :Cool:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
bought cheep genny to power wife,s mobility scooter / breathing aids , connected it to van, accidently switched heater on ,to much 4 genny surges blew cricuit attached to main fuse box
water electrick elements / wifes breathing machine, all sorted now bought kippor and fitted earth lead, never 2 old 2 learn:cry:

What was the old cheapo called ....was that also a Kipor as well..with you saying you need a earth lead on a kipor......or was is it one of those cheap aldi, that many other stores sell at around £69.00 ...850w... that produce around 600w two stroke, noisy genny:thumb:

I think you will find a lot of the kipor owners have had repairs done to there Kipor gennies...new carbs, and seals, and distb board elctronics.....or they have got rid and purchased another genny ...HONDA or Hyundi,

If you contact Alan (laneside) he said another funster showed him how repair his broken Kipor by slamming it on the floor till it worked..some maintainance engineer he is :Doh: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
g8ysn

cheap 2 stroke was noisy but served me well 4 a couple of years, as stated my fault put 2 much load on it,blew the genny and in van etc, yes i have fitted an earth lead 2 the kippor it is located on the front panel,all sorted now just need 2 clean van 4 newark:ROFLMAO:
LIFE IS ONE BIG LEARNING CURVE, never 2 old 2 leaen that is why i like these threads

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
The Honda is a first class generator.....BUT the 5 year warranty..Mmmm..I think if you read the warranty you need to have it serviced after certain hours of use or yearly if that comes first ..by a Honda service centre.:Doh:.....so unless you intend to do as requested by Honda....I would class it as a 1 year guarantee...
But if you service it your self with the correct oil at the correct given time the Honda will give you many years trouble free service.
And the Honda service may cost you as much as a new Kippor...:RollEyes::winky::winky::ROFLMAO:

Now the kippor this is my opinion only... as I have a 2kw kippor...good for the money...but they are a copy of a Honda...and Chinese are good at copying...but the quality is not as good....
My petrol tap broke after I had only used it twice...the whole unit is die cast similar to the white metal crap...the whole tap was joined with two alloy rivets (soft as s**t) so when I turned the tap off it just fell to bits ...petrol all over ..not good near a hot engine :Eeek: :Doh: ...having drained the tank, I ordered a new tap..but while I was waiting for the spare to arrive I fixed the old one, I drilled out the two soft rivets, tapped the two holes threaded and put two threaded studs and nuts in instead....I now keep the new part as spare, as the tap I repaired is far better ......also the same tap is the stop button, it presses on a micro switch actuator :Eeek: :cry:....my opinion the Kippor genny, it is good for what you pay for it BUT it is not to the quality of the HONDA..

I do believe a lot Kippor owners have problems starting a Kippor :Doh: :RollEyes: :winky::winky::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
This is the result of having a smoking kippor

Smoked-kipper-001.jpg

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
I had a Honda EX650 for years and about 8 years ago sold it to may mate and he is still using it now on his caravan and it must be 15 - 20 years old now, I got a new 2kv Honda, its been brilliant and starts easily no matter how long between use's, Now got 240 watts of solar on the roof and a fitted inverter and hardly ever take the gennie with me.
I know two tuggers who have had problems with Kippor ones and got rid of them on ebay.

Solar panels are the best option unless you have heavy duty charging needs :thumb:

Dave

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
Why is that then? Do you get a bit Cranky.............:ROFLMAO:
MOI!!! only on a quiet sunny, Sunday afternoon when I'm having a kip after lunch::bigsmile:

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
best genny? got to be the one your driving, since fitting a battery to battery charger plus my solar panels the Honda eu2i has stayed in the garage at home. I was near the weight limit with my little motorbike in the back plus genny. Now I carry more wine and beer::bigsmile:
Steve

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back