Generators

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by dedwards, Jan 30, 2012.

1. dedwards

dedwards

Hi All

I need some advice on size, we would like a generator that will run microwave,hair dryer,halogen oven,

Thanks

Di:Confused::Confused::Confused:

2. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Need at least a 2kw one. Preferably not a Honda as some of the hard of hearing folks on here can't hear them and don't know when to complain.:Rofl1:

• Like Like x 6
  3. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Thats as long as you only run one at a time of course.:Smile:

4. hdvrod

hdvrod Read Only Funster

I would be interested as well:Smile:

5. vwalan

vwalan Funster

hi, google lynton trailers go to the big rigs then on to the majlis section .there is a nice size genny there.
    maybe rethink your life style could be easier.
    big gennies normally mean lots noise. not a good idea . ok for emergency but only emergency use.

6. spannermanwigan

spannermanwigan Read Only Funster

Mine does Hyundai had it 3Yrs without problems here it is

http://www.genpoweruk.co.uk/Hyundai...ping-_boating-_motorhomes-_caravans_etc..html

and this is its next generation brother same in all respects except has remote electric start
    http://www.genpoweruk.co.uk/Hyundai...tal-Inverter-Generator-with-Remote-Start.html

not sure its worth the extra for electric start and would question its reliability due to its infrequent use dont think its inbuilt battery will last very long, but thats my opinion
    Quite large however, ours travels on a carpet in shower covered with a bath towel. wife cannot lift it , ok for me though.
    hope this helps
    Regards
    Steve:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  7. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

we have a 4 kw fitted to our chassis

We have an Onan eke mico-lite 4 kw... Most American RV's have some sort of genny fitted as we have a lot of 110 amp items on board... for example the micro wave draws 1700 watts at start up... the air conditioner also draws a lot of juice.

The advantages are we can watch a mains TV any size.. currently I have a 26" in the RV .. run a mains DVD player and charge my batteries via the Sterling 1500 watt inverter/ charger.

It uses about 3.4 gallon of fuel an hour on full load.. and it is not as quite as some of the more modern stand alone units .. but I do have a lot more power on tap if I need it. it is a case of deciding what you need the genny for.

I charge two scooters at shows, and I know I can charge my domestic batteries and use anything else I want to.. but ten I have to think about the microwave and air-con being on at the same time.

A lot of motorhome owners seem to go for the 2kw Honda.. I know one RV own has a 2kw remote start as well as his much bigger RV genny and uses that to charge is power wheelchair..

Bob

8. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

Blackpool watch out !!

Have you ever been to a fairground and seen their Gennies on trailers ?????
    Well.....That's what you need for all of the leccy you intend to consume !
    There might just be a bit left over for street lighting as well !!:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  9. vwalan

vwalan Funster

you should see the fifth wheel on the lynton site .i think its big enough .hee hee
    might make some faigrounds jealous.

10. edgy

edgy Funster

I nearly bought today

I decided it was time to buy a gaslow kit for my van today. I did all the normal stuff of comparing prices for two hours on the net and when i finally decided to use the supplier who is offering a discount to funsters i was told by a member of staff that the prices on the internet were not right and he quoted me from the FEBURARY price list. So can any body answer me this
    1 What month are we in
    2 Is this a discount offer or just a teaser
    3 Is this legal
    This supplier knows who he is and i shall wait to see the outcome of this[ you do have my number] and if you do not realise who you are i do not think i shall bother to buy from you .

11. edgy

edgy Funster

OOps posted in the wrong place

12. aba

aba

in answer to question 1 its still January so wait a few days and it will then be FEBRUARY
    internet traders update their sites towards the end of the month although some don't update until the next month and some just never seem to bother at all.
    there will no doubt on the website be a quote stating "CALL FOR UP TO DATE PRICES" and you probably haven't seen it.

13. edgy

edgy Funster

Thanks for that but it does say retail price list feb 2011. I have checked and they have just changed there prices on the site.

14. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Have a look at Alugas, similar idea but lighter and very well made as far as I can see (German engineering):Smile:

15. peter H

peter H Funster Life Member

Wow, 14 posts and this thread hasn't turned into the usual Honda v Kippor tirade.

I'm well impressed.

Peter

16. carry on then

carry on then Read Only Funster

check what your highest rated device is ;i.e is the microwave oven a 650watt or 900watt , and do the same for each device you want to use.
    I run an old honda ex1000 ( 22 years old now). its only 1000watts, but it happily runs a 900watt hoover or a 700watt microwave.
    only 1 item at a time though .

• Like Like x 1
  17. Glynn

Glynn Read Only Funster

18. EthnGeoff

EthnGeoff Funster

Just returned from Brownhills NE today after having an additional Gaslow 11kg cylinder fitted to the van, but noticed a special offer leaflet from Gaslow whilst I was there which offered a 11kg cyl, 6kg cyl + all hoses and fittings for I think it was £439 so long as it was fitted during January.
    Geoff.

19. otis the staffy

otis the staffy Read Only Funster

Dedward go for biggest you can get don't go for the £1200 Honda because someone has told you to get a really quite one so as not to upset anyone.Go for a £50 job if you can find one cus believe me some folk will walk for miles to find you and moan.The really bad ones are them that moan simply because they have not got one they sit with candles with the wind up radio eating tins of beans they have carried from home and the woman is moaning she is missing East Enders and he is strolling round looking to find someone to piss off.I once arrived at 5pm at a massive free camp about 60 vans parked for the night.I decided to go to far end of parking about 90 yards from main body of vans, the only other van a Dutch man was about 80 yards back,straight away put 2 kwh Honda on put chicken in ping and set up for night.Ping was set on 30 min timer to cook chicken after 6 mins Dutch man races van parkinging on cable ranting and raving ,not worth following my normal cause of action and informing my neighbours that we would be cooking fot 30 mins then Genny would be turned off told this man to GO AWAY.HE LEFT.I wached him park up and start waving arms about so off i walked to have a word ,when i stood at the side of his van it was deafening 30 yards the other side of the fence behind him was a genny as big as a London Bus supplying power to a massive building site, i just informed him he really did need to see a doctor.The moral consider others but do not be dictated to and before all and sundry start i would soon sort that genny out, fine but if you do not wish to hear Engines don't camp in car parks.StaySafe:thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  20. vwalan

vwalan Funster

hi becareful though as a 900watt oven isnt really 900watts in this case thats its output .it may take 1400 watts . if looking always take its input required . also gennies say they are 2kw .but sometimes are only 2kw on a 110 v system for 20mins .constant on 240v can be as little as 1500wt . please read all the bits .also some badge the motor as a 2kw but the actual alernator bit will be alot less . it can be a mine field out there.