Generators

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Simon Meadwell, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Simon Meadwell

Simon Meadwell Funster

Looking to buy a generator, don't want to spend £1000 on a Honda, have looked at kipor and champion, any thoughts on which is best?
    Thanks.

2. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Yes Simon, bigger batteries and super silent solar. (y):LOL:

• Like Like x 7
  3. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Have a search for "generators" and loads of threads will come up.

4. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Best one is a dead one :LOL:

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Never heard of champion....only the spark plugs.

Kipor are ok but the invertor boards can fail which just about makes them a throw away item....the board almost costs as much as a new generator......and according to some, they are really really noisey.
    Must be a noise perception thing cos mine isnt.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Badknee

Badknee Funster

WHAT? Shout up John 'cos I can't hear you for that bloody genny. :doh::rofl:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Who said that....i cant see you for that noisey generator.

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

You may detect this is a somewhat controversial subject! If you have a specific need for one, such as running medical equipment, then you may need a generator but they are generally frowned upon in this country. Carrying petrol is also a bit of a smelly pain although you can get LPG generators.

There are other options, solar is green but not a lot of use in winter, probably the most economically viable is a battery to battery charger. Search on here for B2B. This relatively inexpensive and trouble-free bit of kit turns your engine into a very powerful generator.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Les

Les Funster

No no no solar quite and sociable

• Like Like x 1
  10. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

What is your budget, and what do you want to run on it?

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Allanm

Allanm Funster

We have an SDMO Booster 1000, it's French made and with a Honda engine, so pretty quiet. It will power the van for everything except the microwave.
    I think they get a bad name from people using them indiscriminately on campsites, but, we never use campsites, so have never come across these people!
    I think they are a worthwhile investment and we may be getting a bigger one soon. Ideal for when we lived in the van for a couple of months with no EHU and very little sun to power our solar panels and 3 x 110ah batteries.
    What about a used one? There are a few companies selling refurbished generators, also, check out gumtree and eBay, you may find a bargain!

12. Mike Kiff

Mike Kiff Funster

H

13. Mike Kiff

Mike Kiff Funster

Good morning ,

I have for sale a NEW Honda EU10i suitcase generator. (Cost £800)
    Will sell for £495 Ono.

Mike tel 01271 816117

• Like Like x 3
  14. Simon Meadwell

Simon Meadwell Funster

Hi Daniel
    Looking to spend £350 ish on a genie to power the mh when not on site ie field camping and Motorsport sites. One problem we have is our garage door is only 14" high so need small genie don't want to carry it inside the mh

15. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

Ah! With you, that's what we use ours for, and before anyone gets on their high horse about noise, at a motorsport venue, the generator will be the quietest thing there until about 3 in the morning!
    Depending on your set up, you aren't going to need a big one, you are really only going to need to give the batteries a recharge. Unless you have been modified, I will guess you probably have a single 100ah battery. If it's in good nick, then that should give you a good few days use.
    My ESP is also telling me that your TV will only run when you have 240v, that is not an issue, a TV doesn't use a great deal of power. Although it may be worth checking if the TV you have can run 12v, that is a much better solution.
    Anyway, I digress. We purchased a 1kva Hyundai pure sine wave inverter generator to do exactly what you want to do, they are pretty quiet and if you shop around, they are in your budget. They can run most normal appliances, but not microwaves or kettles for example. Because it is PSW it can safely charge laptops etc. whilst you top up your batteries. I think we bought ours from here http://www.generators-direct.co.uk/camping-and-caravan
    There is one thing I should point out, if you are going on the ferry, you aren't allowed to carry them, since they contain petrol, and also you need to carry petrol containers, which are also forbidden on the ferry. So hide them and hope for the best has always been our policy.

16. Jo662

Jo662 Funster

I know you dont want the expense of a Honda,but they are by far the quietest genny.
    We have had one for over four years,but have only used it a handful of times.
    A good solar panel and a pair of good size leisure batterys are the way forward!:)

17. Brakers

Brakers Funster Life Member

I see there is quite a lot of animosity towards generators, I see no problem myself as long as they are used responsibly and with respect for other campers nearby and mostly used off site, I’m sure if we lived in a hot climate this question would hardly come up.
    Having said that I had been asked by a friend of mine to research generators and one that seemed to fit the bill without going to the £1000 Honda or Yamaha was the Champion £369 2Kw from generators direct with 3yrs warranty check it out. Its on http://www.generators-direct.co.uk/camping-and-caravan/champion-72001i-inverter-petrol-generator It's an american genny but the company that sells them says the parts are available and 3yrs warranty isn't to be sniffed at. They also got good reviews from Americans although we could not find many.
    Best Wishes Tony

18. Simon Meadwell

Simon Meadwell Funster

Thanks. Found one on amazon.

19. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

There is isn't there, and there are always the solar brigade who pop up, saying you don't need a generator you need solar. Well firstly I should point out, we do have solar, and a PSW 2kw inverter, total cost to install the kit best part of £2,000. The OP stated that they needed power on rare occasions and wanted a cheap alternative (later stating budget of £350), in his circumstances, the only answer is a generator.
    It is one of my pet hates, when a specific question is asked, and then a completely nonsensical answer is given that does not address the original question. Imagine this scenario:
    A man walks into a shop and asks the shop keeper "Do you have any ballpoint pens?", the shop keeper replies, "You don't want a ballpoint pen, they are nasty to the environment, what you need is an apple, they're bio-degradable!"
    Rant over! :D

• Like Like x 10
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  20. CHRI$

CHRI$ Funster

i have been to many meets in the uk where my generator has been borrowed by the solar brigade to top up their batteries when their solar panels have failed to do the job due to overcast weather.
    i am in the process of changing my van for a fifth wheel,and i will fit as many solar panels as i can,but not for use in the uk, i will carry a generator for uk use.

• Like Like x 1