Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Well I have decided that easiest option is to get a Honda eu10i and take an extra gas bottle!

I think a wise choice, the Hondas have good a good resale value, used with a little consideration they make a good backup.

Bought mine here: http://www.geargb.co.uk/

Showing a higher price on the website??? I paid £719

Brian

OP
OP
S
Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
Great thanks I will look at them nearer the time of the required purchase!

Cheers

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Just had a quick look around the thread but not read it fully so forgive me if this is of no use but @DavidG58 might still have a Honda that would suit you @Stacetop ..
You could try contacting him to see if it's still available..
Ta Andy

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Fantastic machines! Every van should come with one...diesel ones are great! Much noisier...

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Good choice Stacey.
Having the Honda will give you peace of mind.
We don't do gennies but have a rediculously efficient charging system and a very good battery bank.
Unless you have that, gennies are the best choice for what you have in mind.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
On my boat I had a Kipor 2600 which worked fine, I sold it 3 years ago to a friend who is still a friend so it has done fine. I currently have a baby Kipor for the van and it still works great after 3 years and intermittent use with old petrol. On my experience the Honda premium is perhaps not justified.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Two Hondas and about five Kipors
All faultless .. I keep buying them when I see one cheap and convince myself I need one..
They sit around for about a year then get sold as they are not used..

Hopefully I am now over my need to own one !!

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I'm probably an "anti" as well but for skiing in a remote area it may be useful!

It will become more than useful with the family, it will become essential. Yes there are many mods you can make but many on here don't appreciate what your trying to achieve. When the kids came with us we always took the genny as no amount of batteries or Solar panels (relatively speaking of course) would suffice with laptops, films and alike carrying on when darkness hits at 5 pm and goes at 7 am.
You know what your power requirements are, so buy accordingly. What I would say is that the Honda should really be considered, they are great and when your just a couple again you can flog it on for what you paid for it. We don't need a genny nowadays but have sold the last two honda's I have had without losing a bean. Get a good second hand one and check the boating forums as canal boats often sell them for some reason.

Am now looking at booking our ski trip for January,,, somewhere new again I think, cant wait.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I suspect claimed dB levels are about as reliable as VW emission figures, or anybody else's for that matter. The human ear is a wierd thing. The energy of the sound doubles every 3 dB so a sound 10 dB greater has ten times the energy but the human ear coupled to our subjective brain only percieves it as twice as loud.

One way to silence a genny is dig a hole and put the genny in it. It will be remarkably quiet.

And even quieter if you bury it - but I won't suggest that, but the trick of sinking it into the ground really works. I've done it.

from the above I take it you are perhaps a generator denier?:D

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
from the above I take it you are perhaps a generator denier?:D
The loudest little engine I have ever heard was the old Army mobile welding set known as the Double Bug. It had an air-cooled flat twin and made the most phenomenal amount of noise. If you started one up it could be heard a mile or more away. Not exactly stealthy!

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
The loudest little engine I have ever heard was the old Army mobile welding set known as the Double Bug. It had an air-cooled flat twin and made the most phenomenal amount of noise. If you started one up it could be heard a mile or more away. Not exactly stealthy!

sounds absolutely ideal! Bet its reliable (not like that Kipor thingy).....where can I get one plse?:)

OP
OP
S
Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
Thanks everyone, I will be saving for a Honda one! We definitely could do with one especially with having to stay in the same place for ski school and not being on hook up! If its a sunny week we may not need it due to the solar panel but I don't want to take that risk. It will give me peace of mind to know I can run the heating and not fear of damaging the batteries too much! Charlie will be able to watch a film after skiing whilst I have an afternoon nap!

Hubby has a learn to ski 3 hour lesson on Sunday so if that goes well I will start the booking process, If he hates it then arrghhhh!

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
We had an 8 kVA diesel Genny on our boat mounted behind the main engine under the cockpit sole, when running you could hear the exhaust in the water but the engine was whisper quiet, just a soft hum even when sat in the cockpit.

If we had the room would definitely mount one permanently in the motorhome.

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Thanks everyone, I will be saving for a Honda one! We definitely could do with one especially with having to stay in the same place for ski school and not being on hook up!

Might be worth having a word with your chosen Honda dealer prior to any purchase. I'm no expert, but as I understand it they can be modified to operate more efficiently at altitude and consistently cold conditions.

Only ever been skiing once (Switzerland, a long, long time ago). Loved it, came back with the best tan I ever had. But when it snowed it didn't mess about, you'll need a brush as well for those solar panels :D

Brian

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We had an 8 kVA diesel Genny on our boat mounted behind the main engine under the cockpit sole, when running you could hear the exhaust in the water but the engine was whisper quiet, just a soft hum even when sat in the cockpit.

If we had the room would definitely mount one permanently in the motorhome.
Yes, but you would always have to park axle deep in a lake!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Walking down Lister Gate in Nottingham on Wednesday we could hear and smell a generator. Looking round we found it was a 2KW Honda in use on a mobile food stall about 50 yards away. Whether a Kipor or Clarke would be any worse I don't know :)

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
While parked up in Cheshire last week (Overwater Mariner, highly recommend it), I heard the dog break wind in the middle of the night (he sleeps between the cab seats).

A few minutes later I returned the compliment.

It was never mentioned at breakfast.

Brian

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
sounds absolutely ideal! Bet its reliable (not like that Kipor thingy).....where can I get one plse?:)
Sounds like the old Enfield HO2 engine. The RN had loads of them, reliable when you got them started, not too bad if you had one with electric start but a bit of a B****d to hand crank. It was also a 4 man lift as a fire pump. I'll stick to my Kipor good value, quiet and effective

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Sounds like the old Enfield HO2 engine. The RN had loads of them, reliable when you got them started, not too bad if you had one with electric start but a bit of a B****d to hand crank. It was also a 4 man lift as a fire pump. I'll stick to my Kipor good value, quiet and effective

I can just imagine the vibration lulling moi to sleep... Half deaf anyway!:)

Nov 28, 2010
Torrevieja, Spain
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip H720
Exp
December 2011
I have a built in 2.9kw genny start it up when undesirables park to close to us, also when it gets really hot run the air con off it, my wife can have her toast in the morning and use a hair dryer when she wishes ,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back