Generators

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Stacetop, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Stacetop

Stacetop Funster

Hi

Now I know generators are a hated subject but I would like to purchase one!

We already have a solar panel and 2 batteries but if we are away in winter for a long period of time we may need a little assistance!

So I would like a pure sine wave style low noise suitcase generator.

I know Honda are the best but they are also very expensive I would prefer a 2kw one.

So my options are rob a bank and get a honda (not really preferred as the generator will probably only be in use once a year!)

A Clarke one from machine mart or a kipor one?

Has anyone recently purchased a good value generator that you could recommend? I don't want it to damage my elecktroblok!

Thanks

2. Mel

Mel Funster

From what I have read on here
    Wise men buy Honda
    Grumpy old gits buy Kipor

:reel:

Mel

• Like Like x 4
  3. Gizmouk

Gizmouk Funster

If you're only going to use it once a year, maybe consider renting one as and when you need it ?

4. Stacetop

Stacetop Funster

Yes thats an option I have looked into! still pricey ish!

5. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

I have a Honda 1kw as a back up and find it perfectly adequate.

6. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

If you only want to use it once a year - find somewhere with a hook-up. I have a Honda EU1oi which is ample for charging the batteries and running small appliances. I bought it about 6 years ago in a flurry of anticipated off-grid camping but don't use it that much to be honest. I make more use of it for powering the Strimmer in the garden. Now I would never be without a solar panel having had one for 4 years now.
    By the way, the Honda EU20i is a magnificent machine with a better engine than the EU10i but it is a heavy beast!

• Like Like x 1
  7. TerryL

TerryL Funster

I'll put my hands up straightaway and admit to being one of the "antis".

We've got a 100w solar panel and 2 x 110a/h batteries and go away for the winter. Never had a problem, even staying longish term without moving. Admittedly we go to the sunshine (Morocco, then Spain & Portugal) so I suppose it depends where you go. We also have a B2B charger but it's never been actually needed, just peace of mind - and it's a lot more useful than a genny, as well as being quieter, cheaper and a lot lighter.

But there again, we're not power "hogs", a bit of telly, recharge phones/laptops etc. plus the usual things like lights and pumps.

Sorry, biased opinion over!:whistle:

8. Stacetop

Stacetop Funster

I'm probably an "anti" as well but for skiing in a remote area it may be useful!

9. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

At between £250 -£300 a pop.. indeed you do not..

some sound advice here about caring for your Elektroblock ..

The Elecktroblock has built in surge/spike suppression,but I have also installed a mains surge protector AV30 that will protect all electronic kit in the van .. info on this thread.. http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/voltage-surge.110948/#post-1574905

As for gennies.. buy the best you can afford..

10. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

A Honda EU model will be fine with the EBL. In fact the output from the Honda is cleaner than some mains outlets. Always start the Gennie and let it settle down BEFORE switching on the mains circuit breaker in the van - I assume you want to charge via the main hook-up inlet point? Don't try and connect a gennie directly to the batteries. And don't let the petrol tank run dry as even an inverter gennie may surge if it runs out of juice.

11. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Buy the Honda if you can stretch to it far superior than the rest also quieter and will hold its resale value better.
    We have a 2.5 kva Honda built into the chassis on our van and its superb. Very rarely use it and not sure if I'd buy one but for staying on Aires in the Alps for any length of time when skiing its a real benefit.

12. Stacetop

Stacetop Funster

Is the AV30 similar to the steady OVP01 Voltage protector ? I have one of these?

13. scotjimland

not exactly.. it's an over voltage protector.. not a spike/surge protector..

The Schaudt Elektroblock is often, incorrectly, singled out on the Forums as having a particular issue because, so it is alleged, they do not have Spike Surge protection built in and this is why the charger units inside the boxes fail. The Schaudt Elektroblock range DOES have built in spike/surge protection in the form of a Metal Oxide Varister (MOV). A MOV is a VERY effective way of trapping Spikes and Surges which is why it is used by almost all the Charger unit manufacturers from Arsilicii to Nordelettronica.

The confusion seems to have arisen because Schaudt manufacture an add on module called the Over Voltage Protection 01 which is sold by some as a Spike/Surge suppressor when it is not. What the OVP 01 does is cut all power to the protected device if the voltage goes outside preset limits ie, below 190v or above 265v.
    You will see from the Schaudt Technical document, see below, that it does not mention anything about Spike/Surge protection, only OverVoltage Protection, hence the name OVP 01.

read about he OPV01 here http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/schaudt-ovp01.php

14. Stacetop

Stacetop Funster

Makes sense now!! Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  15. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

I think the golden rule must be that if there is a thunder storm in the vicinity (particularly in southern or central Europe where they can be much more vicious than we typically experience in GB) don't leave a EHU cable connected!

16. Allanm

Allanm Funster

We have an SDMO Booster 1000 suitcase type generator. It is an inverter type with a Honda engine, pretty quiet to run and works well at up to 1kva.
    If you are concerned about noise, most generators now have information on the amount of noise they produce. Mine says it produces 69 db(a), the more popular Honda EU1000i, which uses the same engine as mine produces 59 db(a) but says it does this at 1/4 load.

17. scotjimland

18. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

Why not spend the money on more solar & an additional battery?

• Like Like x 2
  19. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

A b2b charger will charge at a much higher rate than a gennie, costs less and weighs very much less. I really don't think anyone needs a gennie. Solar, b2b and a sizeable inverter can meet all needs.

• Like Like x 2
  20. SuperMike

SuperMike Read Only Funster

If you only intend to use it once a year,then it is best, to completely drain the fuel including the lines and the carburettor, or at the very least put in some fuel stabiliser. We have a Honda and I promise you, after a year, any generator, will be difficult to start unless you do. :love: