Generators!!! Good or waste of space/weight

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by tim22es, Oct 6, 2014.

1. tim22es

tim22es Read Only Funster

I have a Mosa gi200sx generator. It produces 1.5kva and weighs less than 4kilos. I was thinking of putting it in the van, when off grid. We mainly stay on sites, and only when travelling down through France in August did we find that it would of been handy, (hairdryer & straightners !!). I have 100watt solar panel and 2 x 110amp leisure batteries and we had no issues with power other than 12volt stuff tends to be crap!! Was just wondering if other funster's carry and use a generator and whether its worth the loss in space and weight, as well as carrying fuel for it as well.

2. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

3. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

don't really understand the kva bit, bit if it is 1500 watts for 4kg weight that sounds amazing I would carry it

but then to keep the weight that low it cant have an exhaust amongst other things, so can I ask you to only to use it when in France :D

• Like Like x 2
  4. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

Don't you mean 24 kg?
    After carrying a generator round for two years without using it, it now sits in the shed with the other two generators.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Zains Pops

Zains Pops Funster

4kg weight seemed too good to be true, it was,on the data sheet it says dry weight 22kg.
    So unless you have no weight issues on the van I would not bother, also carrying petrol is another pain in the butt and please do not use it if your parked near me at any time, they are all noisy and smelly.

• Like Like x 2
  6. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I think the OP made a typo.. it's data sheet says 22kg dry weight + fuel = 24kg. sounds about right

I carted a 2kva Honda around for 3 years when full time and only used it a couple of times, frankly it wasn't needed.. only used it to give it a run..

Save the payload for more useful kit

EDIT

snap ..

• Like Like x 2
  7. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

I despise generator's and usually move on if I see one in use after running over it:rofl::rofl::rofl:

• Like Like x 2
  8. icantremember

icantremember Funster

We have a Honda EU10 1kw gennie converted to lpg which we never even bother carrying these days as we have never needed it.
    I expect the day will come when we have flat batteries and the thing will be sitting in the garage at home.:doh:

• Like Like x 1
  9. JJ

JJ Funster

I spends months and months trying to track down Mr BilltheDrill so I can park next to him and fire up my whisper quiet Kipor. ;)

I don't think people who use sites would need a genny especially if they have some solar but I full-time, mostly off-site, and I have one.

It is rarely used but, my word you are pleased you have one when you are in the middle of nowhere and you leave your lights on by accident.

(I don't have any pay load worries.)

JJ :cool:

• Like Like x 4
  10. dabhand

dabhand Funster Life Member

We were in the general camping area at first at lincoln the people next to us had their gene running all day until quite late, now I fully understand if someone is on a heart lung machine or something how important this might be, but I can think of no other reason for it to be on all day.

Got a van with a built in one, in the last 12 years have only ever started it about 4 times, and that was to stop the residual magnetism loss and save me having to "flash" it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

I did some searching on the Mosa generator and the only model I can find is the GI 2000SX, not 200. This puts out 1.5KVa, but the data sheet says it weighs 22 kg dry, not 4 kg. 22 kg is more in line with a generator of that power I think.
    If you need it mainly for battery charging, a smaller unit would be more than adequate. I carry a Honda EU10i (900 KVa). I only bother to take it in winter and then not all the time. I too have 2 x 110 Ah batteries and a 135 watt solar panel.
    If though, as your post suggests, you want 230V power for larger consumers, then a 1.5 Kva unit is more likely to suit. I cannot tell from the Mosa datasheet whether the output is a pure sine wave form or modified. If it is not a pure sine wave, I would be cautious about plugging in sensitive items. I have heard of modfied wave devices destroying GHD hair straighteners for example. Also, I would not plug it into the mains input socket where it might damage the Electrobloc charger / 12v controller (I think Hobby fit these units).
    If you tend to be static for more than two or three days at a time, a generator can be very useful in winter. If you tend to move about more, then a B2B charger and a large PSW inverter for 230V supply might be a better bet. Again, take care if fitting a B2B charger that it does not cause confusion to the Electrobloc.

12. B-well

B-well Funster

I carried generator on first ski trip many years ago in case of flat batteries, never used it so left behind on subsequent trips. Been on many ski trips since without it and only wild camp on 100a.h battery with no probs.
    don't think you will ever get the use out of it, to warrant lugging around..

13. Wombles

Wombles Funster

Solar panels are brilliant & combined with Gaslow type system why would anyone need a generator?

• Like Like x 3
  14. Clive

Clive Funster Life Member

I have one, gets used once a year for a New Year meet and that's only because I have power hungry teenagers in the van and we are away 5 nights. The rest of the year it spends in the garage and only comes out for power cuts at home. :eek:

15. Mattyjwr

Mattyjwr Funster Life Member

Without reference to any previous posters, why should campers have noisy generators running so often and so long so that they disturb others? We were at a rally a few weeks ago where the kids were sitting inside the van watching tvs etc. while the rest of the family were sitting out in their awning chatting for most of the evening. Their generator was on the other side of their van, making a awful noise, ruining the tranquility for those nearby. Fortunately, we were just far enough away to be able to talk above the noise without shouting but the users of the mhs & caravans nearer wouldn't have been.

If peeps have to use a genny, can't they be put in a corner away from others or at least have an area upwind where gennies are not allowed for those of us want quiet?

• Like Like x 1
  16. g8ysn

g8ysn Funster

everything is useless,or weigh,s to much until u need it,i carry 1 2 charge ann,s scooter/ breathing machine all electric,s in van work of 1000 inverter,no issues yet but 1 day may need it you do what is best 4 u, use it when necasary and be aware of the inconvenience it may cause 2 other camper,s

17. ukbill

ukbill Funster

get a inverter fitted around 2kw would be good
    i didnt know billthedrill hated gennys that much if i would have done like u jj i would have kept mine to annoy him or get rid of him :whistle:

18. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

that seem's a bit personal

19. DiddyDoddy

DiddyDoddy Read Only Funster

So glad we took ours, stuck in a field with a flat cab battery no signal on the phone,no one left to ask for help.
    Twenty mins later,fired up the gene attached the charge cables then on the way home.
    Thank god i had it with me.

20. andy63

andy63 Funster

carry a Honda 2kw, around all the time when wilding...it keeps batteries topped and runs heating and hot water, compressor fridge and everything else when required,, which would limit my stay anywhere if I was relying on batteries only.... no solar on my roof , no room. have a portable 80w solar unit now which helps but wont keep my van in power...I need a generator but like to think I consider others, and like to think others consider my needs.
    ta andy

• Like Like x 1