Generators and reverse polarity

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by lindyloot, Aug 26, 2010.

1. lindyloot

lindyloot Funster Life Member

Can any one help, on our Auto trail when using the generator the reverse polarity light illuminates on the CPU (PSU2007). The generator supplier has advised us to make up a short lead linking the earth terminal to the neutral terminal, is this safe to do and not damage anything on the vehicle. as\we shall be away this week end and will have no electric hookup. Reading the FAQ on Sargents site we are told to look in the generator handbook but we do not have a handbook therefore we rang the generator company,. We do not want to receive an electric shock from appliance's if we have to use the generator

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Hi , this is an old chestnut...

The reason the reverse polarity light is on when running the genny is because the genny isn't grounded to the van nor to earth

You will come to no harm, nor will it damage the vans electrics.. don't link out the earth and neutral ..

If you are really concerned you could bond the genny to the van, there should be an earth tag on the genny for that purpose and you could use a strong croc clip to connect to the van chassis .. personally I have never bothered..

3. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

I wouldn't bother either. I lived in a house for half of my life that had on earth wiring at all. Have lived for years with a generator in a caravan on a site with no problems.

If you connect your earth and neutral you will trip any safety cut outs in your van. As Jim says if you feel you need to, earth the generators body to the van chassis.

John