LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
All sorts available.. The most common being Kipor and Honda, though my son has a Clarke 1kva that has performed at least equally as well

Both camps have their followers and fans.. Had a couple of Hondas and they were great, but just too expensive for me..

Had three Kipors, from a diddy one to the present 2.6kVa unit.

Not one has caused any sort of problem to me..

It depends on what you want to do with it as to the size required

As to where to get one from ?
Well they do come up on here occasionally but the most common place is of course eBay..

Again price depends on size which depends on expected use.
If you are wanting it to just charge batteries, run a telly etc, then a small 1kVa will do nicely

If SWMBO wants to use a hair drier and or a microwave then a 2kVa would be the minimum you could use.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi Mel me auld muckah. Try Machine Mart, they have some fair deals on. Someone was selling LPG and 4 stroke on evilbay the other week cheap. Hope you are keepin well pal :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
middle east driver
May 29, 2012
Swindon
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Cheyenne 635se
Exp
since 2008
thanks jaws i need a 2kw as i will run heating of it i know they are dear in some cases but i hope to find one at a reasonable price some where i'll keep my fingers crossed

Xan

Free Member
Sep 25, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm new
Link Removed

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
thanks jaws i need a 2kw as i will run heating of it i know they are dear in some cases but i hope to find one at a reasonable price some where i'll keep my fingers crossed
A 1kw will provide all the power you need to keep batteries topped up and also run TV's etc at the same time.

if by heating you mean oil filled rads/fan heaters etc then yes, a 2kw will be better.

generators are convenient but certainly not the cheapest way to produce electric.
a 2kw at full output may cost two or three quid per hour to run.

as a comparison, 2kw of mains leccy at home will cost around 30p.

Pigwam

Free Member
Jun 15, 2012
Chester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
For those of you who live near a JTF warehouse (google them) its always worth checking them out, you need to be a member but they have relaxed their joining rules.

they sell the Clarke type 1kv inverter generator under a different name (Pro User I think) for around £189.00 +VAT, however i was in the Warrington branch a few weeks ago and they were on offer for £129.00 +vat.

i just couldn't bring myself to buy one as they had been on offer for £89.00 +vat the previous month, and I'd come out without my credit cards, so its worth checking their website and looking at their flyer.

Machine Mart also have vat free weeks always worth the wait ::bigsmile:

Pigwam

Free Member
Jun 15, 2012
Chester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Had an email flyer from machine mart today, the email was for their VAT free sale which they run every couple of months.

so the Clarke IG1000 1kW Inverter Generator is now £239.00, till Monday.

Although i think you need the barcode voucher off the flyer to get the discount which is coded to you're details, so you may need to sign up for the email flyer

the vat free offer is not available on the honda generators:cry:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I can vouch for the Clarke ones. I have a 1KW and it has been great.

Pigwam

Free Member
Jun 15, 2012
Chester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Be carefull with gennies as the cheaper ones could spike your electronic stuff, Tvs, laptops etc

Peter

I can understand why you say that about cheap generators, however inverter generators work differently than normal ones.

the cheaper ones rely on speed to keep the voltage constant, inverter generators or pure sine wave as they are sometimes called only increase the speed as the load increases so the control circuit is much more sophisticated and by design are normally more reliable.

of course anything can go wrong.

the Clarke inverter generator is badge engineered and can be bought under many names, the one that springs to mind is pro-user.

See Gromett's post

Paramotormanal

Free Member
Aug 29, 2012
Kingston upon Hull
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi, I have a 2kv Honda suitcase that has not had a lot of use if you are interested they are £1300 at machine mart and I would want £800 for it cheers Alan. :Smile:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I can understand why you say that about cheap generators, however inverter generators work differently than normal ones.
the cheaper ones rely on speed to keep the voltage constant, inverter generators or pure sine wave as they are sometimes called only increase the speed as the load increases so the control circuit is much more sophisticated and by design are normally more reliable.
of course anything can go wrong.
the Clarke inverter generator is badge engineered and can be bought under many names, the one that springs to mind is pro-user.

See Gromett's post

I was mainly refering to the types sold by the likes of Macro and others circa £60 - £120.

I bought a Macro one a couple of years ago 850 watt for £39 plus VAT just for power tools.

Peter

Pigwam

Free Member
Jun 15, 2012
Chester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I was mainly refering to the types sold by the likes of Macro and others circa £60 - £120.

I bought a Macro one a couple of years ago 850 watt for £39 plus VAT just for power tools.

Peter

I did think that in Peters post he was talking about these 850 Watt cheap generators, i just wanted to clarify there is a difference, I've seen lots of them used to charge the batteries on Canal Boats over the years where the noise doesn't seem to bother anyone, but they are loud. I've also ended up fixing quite a few of the ones from Aldi, which i have to say Aldi is very good they just send out the capacitor that goes, 10 to 15 minutes to replace it once done it dosen't seem to go wrong again.

i went to the NEC today quite a few people selling generators all different shapes and sizes, there was a guy selling a lpg conversion to run the generators off LPG didn't get chance to talk to him as he was deep in conversation with someone every time I went to see him but the idea is quite sound, seen it done in the past with bigger engines i done have any details at the moment if i find him i'll post his details.

Pigwam

Free Member
Jun 15, 2012
Chester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I think it was this guy http://kiporpower.uk.com/ who was selling Kipor Generators with the LPG conversion.

As a generator, they aren't that bad and they are fairly cheap, although I don't know about the conversion cost.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back