Generator questions from a complete novice

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by GJH, Feb 18, 2012.

1. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

As the header says I basically know next to nowt about generators other than you stick petrol in them, start them and you get 230v & 12v output.

Seeing the various threads over the past few days got me thinking about what are the real differences between the three oft-mentioned makes of Honda, Kipor and Clarke?

So, looking on the web I put together the attached comparison table and it seems to me that the only significant differences between the three models are "the cheaper the noisier" and that the Honda has a much longer warranty.

This is a serious enquiry, seeking knowledge and certainly not wanting to start any wars but, leaving aside any personal preferences/prejudices which anyone might have, are there technically and practically any advantages in paying the higher prices for the more expensive models?

Attached Files:

2. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

errr i for one dont think so as long as its inverter technology (sine wave) and weight.
    I had a honda and 2 probs with it were, it quickly waxed up for some reason if fuel was left in it , and it weighed a ton
    I now have a cheapie which is a little bit more vocal but in the last three years has never waxed up on me and its lighter so i can at least lift it in and out of its storage spot (couldnt do that with the honda), and i mean a cheapie its a Pro-user from Makro but has been reliable and performed when needed - and i imagine that if i added a little exhaust extension it would make it as quiet as a honda

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gromett

Gromett Funster

My first one was a Honda EU2.0 2Kw. I had money to burn back in those days and got the best of everything.

I now have the cheapest. A Clarke 1Kw Digi jobby.

All I can say about it is it works and is reliable. I can't say anymore because you won't be able to hear me over the noise.:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

PS: If it gets nicked I have lost less than half the money......

4. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

Well the Kipor will run more economically on 1/4 load to.............

My Kipor was stolen yet still in pocket against Honda when replace.

I think you have a tough decision to be made between Kipor value and Honda precision.....both are Honda's ones a copy of slightly old one though from China.

Don't knock China's precision any more as everywhere now just badged the best makes..

5. spannermanwigan

spannermanwigan Read Only Funster

6. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Had a 2kva Honda on loan for a while and it worked well and without issue ( apart from the bloody weight )

Had three Kipors... Every one performed as well as the Honda but weighed considerably less

Had a Clarke ( small one ) for a while and it too worked well and was sold at a profit !

I regret flogging the big Kipor I had ( was absolutely paralytic at a bike bash and sold it in a moment of drunken madness !! )
    I will be replacing it soon with one from another member who I am having a deal with at the moment.
    Honda's are great bits of kit but really are sold on their name.. Take the name away and they would be half the price they are

• Like Like x 2
  7. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Indeed, the Hyundai models are fairly new kids on the block but are really excellent bits of kit and very well priced for what they are

8. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

beat me too it.. :thumb:

I would also add, don't get bogged down with the Honda / Kipor debate.. it's like PC versus Mac.. there are no winners.

plus, there are a lot of other good gennies on the market , several are Honda powered ..

http://www.justgenerators.co.uk/index.php

9. CHRI$

CHRI$ Funster

wish i could help graham! but like you i know nothing about generators:Sad:

• Like Like x 1
  10. JJ

JJ Funster

I don't agree with Jim's analogy re the passion between Mac and Pc fans being the same as Kipor and Honda ones...

A Kipor is much cheaper than a Honda.

The perception is that a Honda is better built and will last longer... I have no evidence of this...

My belief is that if you don't use your genny that often why have all that extra money sitting in your garage? Get a Kipor...

If you are planning to sell ice cream all day from the back of your new van then get a Honda to run the freezer (claim the genny cost back on your tax return).

JJ :Cool:

• Like Like x 3
  11. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

we also have a clarke 1.5 jobbie, runs ok infact too well as it keeps trying to hop off and goes walkies as far as its lead will let it unless we stake it down but it is noisy so not used with the van :Laughing: which i found quite funny when we were doing a repair to one of the horse trailers and had to keep bringing it back only for it to try and escape again, have since got a stake to put in the ground to tie it to

12. bmb1uk

bmb1uk Read Only Funster

most noise comes from the exhaust, either make a sound proof box , or as we did in the military dig a hole put exhaust under ground if possible

13. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I realised that a long time ago Chris :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  14. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

i was a Kipor owner until it broke :Sad: and couldnt warrent the cost of a Honda but i now know why they cost more..... component and build quality are far superior to the chinese copies and the price reflects this.:thumb:

a replacement inverter card (the bit which broke) for my kipor woukld have been around £300.....the genny was £425 new, so not worth the cost of replacing the inverter as no warranty if offered on the inverter card at this price on ebay.

15. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

been milling this around in my mind for a while now.....

when i worked underground (potash mine) all the internal combustion engines had a water trap spark arrester....the exhaust went into a water container, below water level, to stop any sparks.

this must reduce exhaust noise and could be utilised on site with a length of silicon (heat resistant) pipe from the exhaust and a bucket or better still, a watering can (stick the hose on the spout) of H2O.

any thoughts ?

16. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Most people who post on here only actually use their generators once in a blue moon, so I would go for the cheapest inverter one you can find.:thumb:

17. robnchris

robnchris Funster

kipor

Which is exactly why we bought our Kipor, big enough to run the cnertal heating and freezer if we have a power cut at home and plenty of power if we need it for the motorhome.
    As said many times half the price of the honda. :thumb:

18. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

a PC is much cheaper than a Mac .. like for like, about 1/3 the cost

The perception is that a Mac is better built and will last longer ... I have no evidence of this.. in fact my experience is the contrary ..

so where is my analogy wrong ?

19. JJ

JJ Funster

Not wrong Jim... heaven forbid I would never say such a thing!!!

I don't agree with the analogy because IMVHO many Apple Mac fans have a religious like fanaticism regarding their worship of Apple products leading to such behaviour as sleeping on pavements (the more nights the more dedicated you are) to be the first to buy the latest super hyped gizmo...

Never known such emotions re Honda and Kipor generators :Rofl1:... (just a sense of occasional slight, ever so slight feeling of superiority amongst the Honda gang because they sometimes seem to believe that the extra money they spent was A) something they can afford when maybe others can't and B) a wise move on the basis of quality...)

JJ :Cool:

20. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

Buy a secondhand Honda from a known and reliable source - I did

:thumb: