Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
This might be useful.

Field Flashing of Portable Generators

[SIZE=-1]This tip comes from the Briggs & Stratton Customer Education Department. As an alternative to flashing a rotor winding with a battery applied to the brushes, an electric drill may be used. Follow these steps to flash the generator:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]
  • Plug the electric drill into the generator receptacle. (Cordless drills do not work)
  • If the drill is reversible, move the direction switch to the forward position.
  • Start the generator
  • While depressing the trigger on the drill, spin the drill chuck in reverse direction. This will excite the field and the generator will now produce electricity. If spinning the chuck one direction does not work, try spinning the chuck in the other direction as you may have the reverse switch positioned backwards.
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Use caution not to get your hand or other materials caught in the chuck. As soon as the field is excited, the generator will produce power and the drill will turn on.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]The reason this works is because the electric motor in the drill will act as a small generator when spun backwards. The magnets in the drill's motor induce a voltage into the motor windings, which is fed back through the trigger, cord and into the generators receptacle. From there it goes into the power winding of the stator. The voltage going through the power winding creates a magnetic field, which is intensified due to the iron core of the stator laminations. The rotor intersects this magnetic field as it is spun past the power winding, thus inducing a voltage in the rotor winding. Once current flow is present in the rotor winding the rotor has been flashed.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]If flashing the field does not make the generator work, you may have additional problems, besides a lack of magnetism in the rotor. Further testing will be needed. Hopefully, this will give a simple way to field flash your generator if needed[/SIZE]

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
thanks peter, useful tip but i have another.......buy one that works "straight out of the box"

the way i see it.....if it needs flashing then it aint been factory tested.:RollEyes:

does anyone still buy Briggs and Stratton agricultural engined gennies except builders:winky:.
tolerances are measured with lollipop sticks instead of feeler gauges and micrometers
they never were the quietest of engines:Doh:

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
thanks peter, useful tip but i have another.......buy one that works "straight out of the box"

the way i see it.....if it needs flashing then it aint been factory tested.:RollEyes:

does anyone still buy Briggs and Stratton agricultural engined gennies except builders:winky:.
tolerances are measured with lollipop sticks instead of feeler gauges and micrometers
they never were the quietest of engines:Doh:
Dunno John, it applies to all gennies I thought:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi peter,
i have two Aldi specials....a 650w and a 2.2kw and both ran "out of the box" as did my Kipor 2.6kva.

i have know car alternators that needed flashing though.
very frustrating 'til you know what to do.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back