Generator buying advice?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by moonbeam, Oct 11, 2015.

1. moonbeam

moonbeam Funster

Hi weve just bought our first motorhome and we are thinking about a generator as I need to plug hairdryer and straighteners in and use our microwave . Any advice pkease?

2. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Dont :LOL:

• Like Like x 14
  3. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

Don't bother too noisy and will annoy everyone within half a mile !
    Get a good battery bank ,solar ,B2B charger and an inverter all you will ever need!

Vlad

• Like Like x 10
  4. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

As above.

• Like Like x 4
  5. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

6. andy63

andy63 Funster

Honda EU20i.. great little machine.. and so quiet...:):LOL:
    seriously , I like mine and wouldn't be without it... if im away for more than a few days and not doing a lot of driving its essential for me, as I only have a 100w panel and that's just not enough to keep me topped up..
    ta andy

• Like Like x 1
  7. funflair

To expand on my previous comment I will say that we have 160ah of battery and 320 watts of solar, my wife can use the hair dryer in the morning (I don't bother) and then later we run the microwave to heat milk for coffee and also run the coffee machine, same again in the afternoon, as long as there is a reasonable amount of sun each day we will have no problems but a couple of grey days would see me curtailing the inverter use, of course a bigger capacity battery bank would be a good idea and see us through the grey days but these are not dead yet.

We also have an EFOY fuel cell but for the purpose of this example I have left it out of the equation, but it is a very quiet and relatively expensive (or should that be very expensive and relatively quiet) way to provide power when there is no sun.

Martin

• Like Like x 3
  8. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Don't buy one on impulse, I still have one the same as Andy's, bought on here after too many glasses of red a few months ago, I already have an older Honda that I don't use as well :)

But seriously, if you want an EU20i, still boxed and unused PM me with a half decent offer and it is yours :)

that applies to anybody else who might 'need' one, or think they do :D

• Like Like x 2
  9. funflair

But we have a bigger roof than you @andy63 (y)

Martin

• Like Like x 1
  10. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

Set the wife to dump all the electrical crap your camping and get sum solar panel's
    You can then save the pay load for beer :cheers::drink:

• Like Like x 5
  11. Glandwr

Glandwr Funster

Second the Honda it's the quietest, the times I have used it on Aires I have put it on blind side of the van. I usually approach others to see if they mind. Invariably they are unaware of it if I am up wind from them or there is traffic noise. Be considerate, don't even think of getting it out on a club site. Ours is a 1kw, ample for charging 300ah of batteries.

Ours runs on LPG or petrol. Worth paying the extra, l connect to my external BBQ point and no smelly fuel.

Padlock it if leaving it outside there is a ready market in them.

Dick

• Like Like x 1
  12. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

We own a Hyundai 1KVa unit, can't remember the model number. It is reasonably quiet, and powers most things that are needed.

Perhaps the question is, why do you think you need one. You can't use them in most places, the noise will annoy another people. What kind of camping are you going to be doing? That would help everyone give you a better answer.

• Like Like x 1
  13. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Sorry your second post here @moonbeam has generated such a strong response. You have probably gathered this is a highly controversial subject!

I can only suggest looking first at the solar and inverter options. Green is good.

And ditch the microwave! :)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  14. jezport

jezport Funster

15. Derbyshire wanderer

Derbyshire wanderer Funster Life Member

I have a Honda EU20 that is 4 years old. It has only been used for about 2 hours in total due to not wanting to annoy everyone else and only using for Mrs M's hair equipment. Pain in the backside so now have an inverter.
    Spend your money on solar, extra batteries and an inverter. All self sufficient, silent, works in the rain, socially acceptable, no smells and no storage, lifting or theiving.

• Like Like x 6
  16. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

Been down that road ( been there seen that, done that and have the tea shirt ) and after 3 years and only useing twice I sold our brand new Honda 10i.
    Firstly do not buy on impulse! use you MH for at least 1 year without adding extras. Secondly get if you do not have already? some solar on your roof and use a good MPPT controller.
    If you read my old posts on what I have bought and used and got ride off since getting our MH you will see that now 95% of the time we are "off grid" and let the sun do the work.
    Thanks to @Techno100 little "gizmo" we have 240volts as and when we need it.
    Wait into you see how other members on here ( attend the rallies ) have their MH set up and start from there.

• Like Like x 1
  17. andy63

andy63 Funster

some pictures... I enjoy these genny threads lol.
    can still get the door open enough for a shower, and its sort of secure..(the padlock and chain stops an honest thief :LOL:) I use a cover over it when on the road.. not trying to wind anyone up ... honest :)
    ta andy
    20130519_110501.jpg 20130519_110530.jpg 20130519_110550.jpg 20130519_110635.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  18. Concord Pilot

Concord Pilot Funster

In my experience one need a 2kv generator to start a microwave oven. On my van a 1kv generator doesn't do it, so I bought a Hyundai 2kv suitcase generator from St Johns (see somewhere to the right side on the page / members list). Its been marvellous and with the Funster discount too saves 10%. But Honda is considered by most to be best but at what cost ?? Cheers Rob

19. Brian_K

Brian_K Read Only Funster

It really depends on your circumstances. For example I am off to Germany next week and I know the nearest habitation for five of those days I will be away is a house, that is approximately 100m from me, therefore I have just purchased a Honda EU20i. This situation occurs several times a year, so a "silent" generator is no problem to anyone. If I were on an Aire/Campsite then it is a no go.

Brian

20. Gromett

Gromett Funster

If you do buy a generator ensure you have a decent charger as well. Most standard vans have a puny charger. If you have upgraded the battery bank then a bigger beefier charges means you don't have to run the generator as long. I have installed a 50Amp charger in my van which will put 100Amps in over 2 hours. Much better than the 30Amps my first charger would have put in for the same running time. The bigger your battery bank the bigger the charger should be.