gearing UP

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by CWH, Jan 7, 2015.

1. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

You know the UP function in the Fiat, so beautifully modelled at the bottom of this picture that I've nicked from @Techno100 's thread - THANK YOU - does anybody use it? What difference(s) does it actually make? (We have Comfortmatic gearbox).

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

looks to me like a levelling device for adjust the load level of a trailer when towing.

3. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

nice try, thank you for the thought Wildman, but no, it's to do with travelling uphill when you're in automatic, supposed to select better gearing that a person can - just wondered how well it works, if it makes any huge difference

4. TheCaller

TheCaller Funster

Yes. I live on a hill & the last few hundred yards involves a very steep narrow road with cars parked on one side. The turn in takes you from going downhill to very steeply uphill in the space of a van length. There is only a few inches either side, so you can't really rush it, especially as it's a different car each time in the pinch point.

If I forget to press the UP button before turning into that road, the poor thing nearly dies on me & gets in a right tizwos. The effect of the button is to make the box change down earlier & change up later.

When I set off again, I'm still on a hill, but not as extreme as the approach. The first mile involves several uphill starts at junctions. I don't want to use too much throttle until the engine has fully warmed up, but without the button pressed & with only part throttle, the box changes up too early & then dies in the next gear. There is a big gap between first & second & on a hill, the road speed drops faster than the engine revs, so in normal mode, by the time it's ready to take up drive again in second, you can be almost stationary.

The other option, of course, is just to stick it in manual. The advantage of changing the gears yourself is that you can see what is ahead, while the autobox can only react to what is happening at the time.

I think it works pretty well. I think I might still use manual if I ever decide to take the van over Wrynose Pass though. :)

• Like Like x 3
  5. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

Great information @TheCaller , we both now understand. Useful too as we have similar hills & corners at home, especially getting to our nearest gas station. Thanks very much (y)

6. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Lucky for you @TheCaller that you live in Lincolnshire, where the hills are more like bumps :D

seriously though, haven't Fiat been in the news for their 500 models not being able to drive up hills

Maybe Fiats all have issues with 'slopes'

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  7. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

ours managed 3 months last year including the lakes, the highlands, the pennines... can't be too bad can it?

8. TheCaller

TheCaller Funster

They may only be bumps, but they can be quite steep ones. The one that gives me the problem is only about 50 yards long, but I would guess it's 1 in 4, maybe 1 in 3. No problem, so long as I get the van in the right gear.

I've yet to encounter anything it's had a problem with. Very steep & wet or slippery would be a problem, because of weight transfer away from the front wheels. Loss of traction would always be the problem rather than lack of power - 1st gear is low.

On something very steep, you might have to go all the way up in 1st, because of the autobox slow gearchange & the big gap between 1st & 2nd. I'll have to experiment next time I'm down in the Quantocks - steeper there than the Lake District passes.

You ploughing through the snow ok with rear wheel drive?

• Like Like x 2
  9. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

My understanding, to add to what's already been written, is it holds lower gears, delaying changing up. It doesn't actually find lower gears than the transmission already has but if you are say driving slowly up your drive in first it won't suddenly decide to change into second. You can of course get the same or a better effect if you knock it into manual mode and thus have almost complete control over what gear it is in - it will still change down if it has to in manual mode but it will never change up unless to tell it to.

• Like Like x 1
  10. davejen

davejen Funster

The problem on the 500's is only on the facelifted 2014 models, they have installed "new" software and cocked it up. I believe the cars are being recalled to have the software updated to get rid of the problem. My 500 is 2013 and as long as you are in the right gear and keep the revs up I don't have any problems going up hills.
    Cheers, Dave(y)

11. TheCaller

TheCaller Funster

That's what I thought until I went to pass something & forgot it was in manual. Somewhere around the point it hit the rev limiter it changed up!

I have to admit that considering it's just a van, it's a pretty sophisticated & clever bit of kit. Far better engine braking than on any other autobox I've driven. Occasionally it tries a bit too hard to be clever & gets in a bit of a knot, but I'm pleased with it.

• Like Like x 1
  12. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Didn't know it did that, but it makes sense like the automatic change down - an attempt to prevent the human in charge from damaging anything!

13. Hughman

Hughman Funster

Apologies for selective quote, but it says what's what exactly. I just leave the UP button permanently on - it stops the box changing up too soon on flat as well as hills - just makes it all a bit sharper and more 'car-like' to drive.
    I've done this over 18 months and 21,000 miles without any ill-effects so far.

• Like Like x 1
  14. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

.With the UP button on, can you still "force" a gear change through acceleration? (Would you want/need to?)

15. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I guess so, tap the lever to change up as normal.

16. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

Going uphill I find that by being a bit heavy on the gas pedal I can 'force' a down-shift

17. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

UP function.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  18. Techno

Download user manual HERE

19. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

Thanks @Techno100 , I have the manual, I was interested to know peoples experience of using it as I haven't yet & I knew there's be somebody on Fun that would have

• Like Like x 1
  20. Techno

I've never used it and he has coped admirably

• Like Like x 1