Gearbox rebuild, water is an engine killer (1 Viewer)

gazza280

Free Member
Sep 26, 2012
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Hi all

Today I am taking my Autocruise Starblazer to have the gearbox rebuilt and new clutch £1565 gulp!!:cry:

It has a Peugeot Boxer engine and as I understand the Ducato and Boxers have an ongoing problem with the water pipe not being long enough and water getting into the gearbox. I thought the previous owner had dealt with this problem as I had paperwork from a local garage that did the work.

Since buying the van I have only done about 3000 miles and recently I was having problems getting 5th gear. Then 2nd gear so now big bill for gearbox rebuild.
I beleive that the problem has not been dealt with but I have been researching this and according to other forums the Peugeots and Ducatos have problems with water coming in from the windshield scuttle and other areas and finding its way back onto the gearbox and the engine and the electrics.

When I get the working van back I will find areas that can get ingress of water and deal with it the best I can but has anyone else had this problem and how did you solve it?

many thanks :thumb:
Gary

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Gary, sorry to hear about your woes.. .. was this a private or dealer purchase.. ?

If a dealer I would go back to them and claim the cost of the repair either under the warranty or if expired, under the Sale of Goods Act as van not being fit for purpose and not durable.

If private purchase, the Sale of Goods Act doesn't apply .. but you have paperwork from a garage who carried out the work, they should have given a warranty to the previous owner who should have passed to you.. If not, then again the repair is covered under the Sale of Goods Act..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back