Gearbox change fiat ducato?

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Gromett, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I am about to have my gearbox replaced. I obviously have a few questions... If anyone can provide any advice I would be grateful...

I am a fulltimer so I obviously need to plan the job. Is a gearbox replacement a job that can be done in a single day or do I need to book a B&B for overnight?

I have no idea where/what the timing belt connects to. Is replacing the timing belt at the same time likely to add much time to the job? If it adds much time I would be better leaving it to another time to avoid having the job go into 2 days if possible?

Is it worth getting the clutch plates replaced at the same time?

Any indication of how much this will cost (excluding the cost of the gearbox itself) would be appreciated. I have a gearbox sorted. I just need to save up the extra money needed?

Any other advice for me or questions I need to ask?

Thanks in advance :thumb:

2. buttons

buttons Funster

I have a question rather than an answer, what is broken in the gearbox.

3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

providing no problems are encountered the box should be less than a day in a professional workshop.

definitely replace the clutch while the box is out unless it known to be low mileage and in good condition.
    false economy not to as if it fails later the box will have to come out again, with the same cost again.

timing/cam belt is at the other end so unless they lift the engine out to do the box (unlikely) it will be extra time....easier and quicker with the engine out.
    cambelt replacement is around £250 to £350 at an independent garage

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  4. Gromett

Gromett Funster

It is extremely noisy, it jumps out of 1st gear which is a nuisance when in traffic queues. It grinds when going from 1st to 2nd if not very careful with revs. Other than that it is fine:Rofl1:

I can manage with it at the moment but I want it doing before I go to the continent as recovery would be far more expensive.

I have looked at getting this one repaired but although the repair itself is cheaper than the replacement the additional costs of being without the van for 3 days puts it over. It is cheaper for me to get a replacement and only have 1 day in the garage.

I can get a recon gearbox for £550. 10 hours garage time at 45+VAT is £540. so a total of £1090. I will save up £1300 to be on the safe side. Add in £100 for a clutch kit I think...

Thanks PappaJohn, I will get the clutch redone at the same time and go in for the timing belt on another trip.:thumb:

5. aba

aba

if it is going to be more than a day then look for another workshop
    i have removed these gearboxes within 2 hours on a trolley jack at the side of the road.
    fitting the clutch kit should take no more than about 20 minutes once the box is out then its just a case of refitting it.

the only other thing that if needs replacing would be an ideal time to do would be the bottom ball joints

• Like Like x 1
  6. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Thanks for that:thumb:. How much time would that add onto the job?
    If it is straight forward and not too expensive I may as well have it done and get it over and done with.

7. darklord

darklord Read Only Funster

Query the hours quoted, then ask why so long, we can do a Scania clutch in 4hrs, book time is only 6'ish, so why a ducato g- box should swap should take 10hrs, beats me?

8. aba

aba

personally if they don't need doing i wouldn't bother as they don't just fail you generally get plenty of warning of pending failure.

9. aba

aba

make sure the gearbox you get to replace it is the same as there are a few variants and as such they wont just swap.
    things that tend to be different are the clutch arm, the driveshaft lengths, clutch plate and the mountings. so be careful to ensure it is the same.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I put 10 hours to be safe. A working day is 8 hours I just added a couple to be safe:thumb:

Ok, what are the symptoms to look for on this?

Thanks, I will get the garage doing the fitting to talk to the supplier to ensure that there are no problems. :thumb:

11. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Why don't you pm John (Champers) husband, JJ and many others highly recomend him, and you know you won't be ripped off.:Smile:

• Like Like x 4
  12. Gromett

Gromett Funster

The problem is I am tied to be near my mum for the next 3+ months and I want it done before the Summer..

13. aba

aba

the first sign of ball joint failure would be slight play at the bottom of the wheel whilst jacked up, after that uneven tyre wear , possible vibration and then you would start to hear clunking over bumpy roads.

if you had a sprinter based motorhome i would say get them done as they seem to eat them for some reason but unless you have any play in them leave them alone.

if the garage doing the job is worth their salt they will check them before putting the van back together but if there is a problem they should notice it when they start working on them.

• Like Like x 1
  14. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

JJ put some pictures on here when his van was in the garage and said what a great job the person did and how he recommended them [HI]see post above from Carol[/HI]
    he had all his jobs done and was very pleased:thumb:

15. tofo

tofo Funster

if its any use

link to my engine probs engine out

https://picasaweb.google.com/mytinsnail/DropBox?authkey=Gv1sRgCLmc4amaqN3dFg#

16. Gromett

Gromett Funster

• Like Like x 1
  17. tofo

tofo Funster

No expensive :cry:

No body more surprised than me
    to that valve holding the other
    Valve
    Piston was wrecked
    Didn't want to chance unseen damage
    New recon engine fitted

£3600 in 2009 fitted + new clutch
    :thumb::Cool:​

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  18. chesterfield hooligan

chesterfield hooligan Funster

:Smile: Hi just out of interest how many miles has the van done :Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  19. freelanderuk

freelanderuk Read Only Funster

Are you having it done while in Louth

what is the model of fiat ducato

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  20. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi Gromett, you are in the wrong place :BigGrin:I would be looking at well under 200 quid for a gearbox and well under 200 for it fitting.
    I only paid 300 quid for a complete Iveco engine and gearbox which has all ancillary starter, alternator,fuel pump,turbo the lot :Wink: all I need now is a van to fit it in :BigGrin:
    Terry