Gear lever moves in 6th only - 3 Ltr 160 Ducato (1 Viewer)

Bobtbadger

Free Member
Nov 5, 2012
Dunstable
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt, TAG Axle
Exp
Since 2011
I have spotted an issue on my van where the gear lever moves when coming on and off throttle. Before anyone starts calling it as a mounting issue I need to point out that this is only happening in 6th gear. In all other gears it is completely stable.

Has anyone else got/had this and had it successfully fixed or diagnosed?

My van has 23,000 miles on the clock so it really shouldn't be a "worn out" gearbox. Unfortunately this was spotted by the dealer I am trying to part exchange with and has put the deal on hold. I hadn't noticed this problem until they pointed it out to me :(

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Get your engine/gearbox mountings checked, especially the back one. The 'metalastic' process in which the rubber is bonded to the metal starts to break down, especially if there is any oil contamination. Try 'rocking' the engine backwards and forwards in gear, with someone watching (safely) from the front wings. It's probably happening in all the gears, but your seeing it in top because that's when the high gear 'thrust' is taking place, and its being transmitted up the gear shift. If you think about it, the engine is trying to propel itself backwards as you drive forwards under thrust. (y)

I think this dealer knows the score, and is trying it on to get a better deal for himself.

OP
OP
Bobtbadger

Bobtbadger

Free Member
Nov 5, 2012
Dunstable
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt, TAG Axle
Exp
Since 2011
He fault was demonstrated to me by putting the van in gear and letting out the clutch until it just bites. The only gear that produced this "jumping" was 6th. In all the other gears there was absolutely nothing in fact you couldn't feel anything through the gearknob at all. The gear lever jumps back and forward about an inch.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
He fault was demonstrated to me by putting the van in gear and letting out the clutch until it just bites. The only gear that produced this "jumping" was 6th. In all the other gears there was absolutely nothing in fact you couldn't feel anything through the gearknob at all. The gear lever jumps back and forward about an inch.
They all do it to sme extent. For peace of mind, give the main agent a ring, (chassis'engine), ask for the workshop foreman, and tell him. Your not losing drive, it's not leaping out of gear. If you tried that with 90% of vehicles with a very high ratio 6th gear, from rest, you will get the same reaction.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
As Tootles said, tell the dealer to pick any van on his forecourt and do the same test.......

OP
OP
Bobtbadger

Bobtbadger

Free Member
Nov 5, 2012
Dunstable
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt, TAG Axle
Exp
Since 2011
Unfortunately I asked and the first one he tried didn't do it :(

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the gear selector is not directly connected to the gearbox on the x250, its attached by cables. maybe the cable for 6th needs lubricating as it gets less use

Dec 21, 2010
Wakefield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Vline
Exp
Since 1999
Did you get to the bottom of this problem.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back