Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
When changing gear from 5th to 4th on my 2003 Fiat Ducato 2.8jtd it does not spring through the gate like it use to. Its done 77,000 miles and I assume the cable is stretching?

My little man in the village garage checked it and cleaned the muck off the top of the gear box and it worked for a couple of days and then reverted back again. It's not a big problem it just means manually dragging it through the gate.

Has anybody had any experience with this problem? I would hate to run out of gears in the wilds of Turkey so would like to get it sorted for peace of mind before departing in December.

I know the gear linkage cable is very expensive but would rather get it sorted now.

Don

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Have your cables replaced now whilst you can- they have done 77k, so have done well. Known weak point on all these gear linkages.

I would pop the cables and see how tight they are. If nothing improves, then m=you may have water in the box which is tightening things up with pressure - which case change the gear oil.

I would put money on the linkages...better doing it now than having a big bill later! Mates' Iveco turbo went in france and cost him 1500 euros! Would have been £300 if he did it before he left.

OP
OP
Don Madge

Don Madge

Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
I received the following reply on the Out & About forum from Nick at Euroserve at Leicester. I thought it might help members who might have the same problem. :)

"Hi Don,

Difficulties with selecting gears on Ducato's are normally easily resolved. There is a pivot where the cables attach to the selector arm on the gearbox. It is not enough to just brush off the muck and lubricate it. The pivot must be removed and the pin and socket cleaned thoroughly with emery paper before greasing and re-attaching.

This is easier if you can get the vehicle onto a ramp and then only takes about half an hour. It can be done on the floor if you are very agile but will take a little longer. The process rarely requires any new parts and really is quite simple.

Nick"

Regards

Don

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Ducato Gear Change

Thanks to posts here and others I took my 2004 2.8 Ducato to have the pivot removed, cleaned and greased. Glad I had it done on a ramp and didn't do it myself - took them 2 hours and had to use a torch on the nut - only charged £50 though - result - a 'proper' gear change - can't believe I put up with it for so long. Thanks again for the info::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back