bobbi

Free Member
Aug 4, 2013
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Renault Trafic
Exp
Hi, I'm the new proud owner of a 1989 Renault Trafic 1400 petrol (first ever campervan). She's flown through the MOT and service, but my fitter said it would be better with a 5 speed gear box if I can find one.. thing is apart from the model I own, can any other models fit???

Thanks,
Helen

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
biggest problem will be finding a second hand/reconditioned gearbox for a 26 year old vehicle.

if it is possible, the fifth gear may be an overdrive gear and the engine may not have the pulling power to get full use from it....constantly changing gear on gradients etc.

OP
OP
B

bobbi

Free Member
Aug 4, 2013
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Renault Trafic
Exp
Oh well, never mind.... she ace as she is, so will put up with it lol!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
only my opinion and it may be ok.

many recent vans have problems with fifth being too high and having to change down all the time.

OP
OP
B

bobbi

Free Member
Aug 4, 2013
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Renault Trafic
Exp
Would you know if there are any compatible ones though... or has it got to be Renault, someone has mentioned talbot, but like I say, new to this.
Thanks,
Helen

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Your questions would possibly be better answered on here. http://www.rtmr.org/
A good friend is the technical officer of this group and I will ask him what he thinks.
Have you thought of putting taller tyres on, that would be the cheaper fix if you think its too low geared.

OP
OP
B

bobbi

Free Member
Aug 4, 2013
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Renault Trafic
Exp
Someone else mentioned this and I thought they were kidding lol... seems not then.

Thanks for your help!!

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Someone else mentioned this and I thought they were kidding lol... seems not then.

Thanks for your help!!

Am not kidding, have done it on several vehicles over the years.

OP
OP
B

bobbi

Free Member
Aug 4, 2013
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Renault Trafic
Exp
If I find out what tyres i have on now, would you know which bigger ones to get then or should I take her somewhere?

OP
OP
B

bobbi

Free Member
Aug 4, 2013
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Renault Trafic
Exp
Am i best off taking her somewhere then to see what size I need??

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Any well known tyre depot will advise you on what size you can go up to. If the tyres you have on are getting ready for changing its a good idea to have taller tyres fitted.

OP
OP
B

bobbi

Free Member
Aug 4, 2013
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Renault Trafic
Exp
Most helpful... thank you very much!!!

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Go about an inch taller - you may find newer model wheels/tyres may fit. This will give you better gearing, but not alter the speedo reading too much.

One thing to watch on the petrol model is the water system. Absolute pain to bleed - so make sure it is done well, as it will pop the head gasket easily - the 1.7 petrol engine was one of the strongest they produced - apart from the water system!

froghopper

Free Member
Nov 29, 2009
winchester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
before they were invented
Traffic

Hi, cant help with tyres but wanted to say I have a 1984 traffic, with motorhome body and just love it, not long back from Venice, before that France, next week Wales, never had a water problem, but once a year I remove top and bottom hoses and flush engine and rad. Fresh anti freeze. Always keep fresh oil and never drive her hard. Keep revs down, if you get half the fun we get you will have a great time, if I can help in any way please use chat room, this is frog hopper. (Barry) cheers

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
a good friend of mine bought a couple of renault traffic vans for is business around 88 or 89. great vans, not fast but good value for money as i recall. the only issue was the 5 speed one ate driveshafts at a silly rate. 3 or more in a year got silly so he traded it in. the other van did the usual 3 years before being replaced. therefore the advice re taller tyres is the most reliable way forward in my opinion

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back