Lottiethehymer

Free Member
Jul 13, 2015
Northampton
Funster No
MH
B class
Exp
I want to check my gearbox oil but haven't got a clue where to find to do it , can anybody help me , my m/h is a hymer b778 2013 , thank you in advance, Pam

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
If you don't know where to look how will you know if it's right or wrong they don't normally have a little dipstick. If you don't have any oil spills underneath when parked you can probably assume that it has enough in. When its time to change the oil they usually have a set amount to put in. They drain the gearbox and then fill it with the exact amount according to engine type, You cannot just top it up as you don't know whats in already. If it's Fiat based you could try the Fiat Forum .. Lots of Ducato Owners on there. I would have thought it would be due for it's first service anyway.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Lottiethehymer

Lottiethehymer

Free Member
Jul 13, 2015
Northampton
Funster No
MH
B class
Exp
Thank you guys for your replies, it is due for service soon so will leave it up to the professionals lol

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Is there a reason you want to check the oil? Usually it isn't checked, which leads me to suspect you have an issue?
IT should be checked, the gearbox usually has a plug in the side of it. To check or top up squirt gearbox oil into the box till it leaks out of the fill plug as its at the correct level.
Gearbox oil comes in a plastic bottle with a plastic tube attached for this purpose (y)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
IT should be checked, the gearbox usually has a plug in the side of it. To check or top up squirt gearbox oil into the box till it leaks out of the fill plug as its at the correct level.
Gearbox oil comes in a plastic bottle with a plastic tube attached for this purpose (y)
Well, it should be checked, that's a different matter entirely, what I was saying is is generally isn't.
More technically though, if you need to top up the gearbox oil, you have an issue, it is leaking somewhere, and that needs to be rectified. Topping up the oil is not a solution! The oil IMHO should be changed from time to time, since no oil lasts forever.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Back in 1978 perhaps but not in the modern day, certainly not on modern Fiat vehicles as they don't have a level plug. Filled for life and unless there is a leak or the box is removed there is no need to bother.

D.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Mine has a dip stick under the bonnet next to the one for the engine oil. Both are about 4ft long. There is a topping up point for both under there as well. :) 8.1L Chevy V8 Big Block pushing through an Alison 1000 Transmission. The transmission level has never dropped and so no oil has ever been added to the transmission and it is very type critical. The book says it is supposed to have an transmission oil change at 100k miles.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If it was an auto it isn't as simple as checking the engine oil.
There's a sequence to follow which means getting the oil to operating temperature then selecting all gear options several times........D-D1-D2-N-P-R or similar order to ensure all the valves and actuators are loaded with oil.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Back in 1978 perhaps but not in the modern day, certainly not on modern Fiat vehicles as they don't have a level plug. Filled for life and unless there is a leak or the box is removed there is no need to bother.

D.
I must admit it's been a while since I have checked but not sure as long ago as '78 (n)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back