Free Member
Aug 20, 2009
Ludlow
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
20 years
Just a quick question - do all the number plates on a MoHome have to show the GB designation ?

Thanks in advance.

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
As far as I know, no. You need a GB sticker on the back if you go to Europe clearly displayed however you do not have to have a GB sticker on the back IF you plates have a GB graphic on the side of them

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
NO....

You can either have a seperate GB sticker on the rear of the vehicle or you can have one on the numberplate.
As long as you display one somewhere... Saying that I have seen so many UK cars with nothing on the back..

OP
OP
parigby

parigby

Free Member
Aug 20, 2009
Ludlow
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
20 years
Just to clarify. My front plate has the euro flag and GB designation (as per below - courtesy of Camping Gaza ) whilst my rear plate has nothing other than the registration number.

Attachments

• 22302detail.jpg
    22302detail.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 9
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
It's just the rear one that matters.

I actually have the GB on the number plate and a GB sticker. I also have a GB sticker on the front so any passing Brits can give me a wave. :)

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
And when we leave the EU?..........all those number plates become invalid?

A good business to be in shortly perhaps!

Yes but WILL they become invalid ??? knowing the bureaucracy in this country they will become standard with everyone needing to display them

Deleted User
We used ones like these in the past......

I suspect that they will no longer be valid in the EU or possibly legal in the UK but as @busby and @Masman says a cover up with some tape will be OK in the UK but a separate GB sticker may well be needed in the EU.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I have just ordered a rear number plate for my motorbike, complete with GB symbol, from the Internet as no-one near me has the facility to add the GB symbol to a bike plate.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Just to clarify. My front plate has the euro flag and GB designation (as per below - courtesy of Camping Gaza ) whilst my rear plate has nothing other than the registration number.
I assume your example isn't quite right. The front plate has to be 'white' and optional to display the GB but the rear one can be like your example (obviously without EXAMPLE) or as @namwaldog suggested, a sticker at the present until possibly 2019

Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
We went to France very soon after picking up the new (to us) moho and found the number plates with dealer names on did not have GB on them. Spent lots of time looking in the hypermarkets for a GB sticker or letters to make one. Returned without and not a problem. Now have new stickers ready for Spring trip though.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
As I understand it the UK plate with the EU stars and GB is the legal version in the EU, if you have a different plate which may be legal in the EU you should have a GB sticker as well clearly displayed on the rear bodywork. Having said that I often see non EU approved plates from many cou.tries with no country stickers and the local police seen not to care.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
@maxi77
We also see some running around in France without the required country codes displayed. However, we also note the number of routine stops carried out by Police, especially on round-a-bouts there. Many more than in the U.K. where "routine" police checks are few and far between.

We try to conform to the laws in the countries that we visit as we tend to be critical of those who visit the UK and don't conform to ours.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Also worth a note GB/Euro plates are not valid in non Euro countries like Switzerland, you need a separate GB sticker to be legal. Not that I have ever bothered.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi. From Stig of the Dump.
Have you an old "any" number plate,with a Euro/GB thingy on it? If you have ,cut it off carefully and secure it to the end of your rear plate (Bit of thin stiff plastic and Loc-tite )...Until....
If you have NOT got an old number plate with the "Thingy" on it,you need some serious Hoarding lessons.
Tea Bag (And yes i did as time was of the essence(y))

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I have mine on all the time in or out of the EU:Eeek:
2013-11-04 14.27.45.jpg

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
Have never put a GB on any of my cars or motorhomes !! Only ever put a couple of Scottish Saltaire's on the back and over past 30 odd years and have never been pulled !!

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Have never put a GB on any of my cars or motorhomes !! Only ever put a couple of Scottish Saltaire's on the back and over past 30 odd years and have never been pulled !!
Are you planning to travel Post Brexit?

Oh, sorry, Scotland will still be part of Europe won't it?:whistle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back