GB MOT for Europe

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Traveller_HA5_3DOM, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Traveller_HA5_3DOM Read Only Funster

Met a full timer here in Spain yesterday who was planning to return to UK to get his vehicle MOT'd.
    My thoughts on this are that it is part of UK law to have your three year old plus vehicle tested every year to be able to comply with the MOT regulations.
    These regs. do not extend outside of the UK they are made in our Parliament and are for our residents on our roads.
    It is part of all insurance contracts that you keep your vehicle in a roadworthy condition every single day it is used on a public road in the UK and in any other country your insurance extends to.
    As most will realise the UK MOT Certificate only covers the time and day the vehicle was presented for the test. This is because once you leave the testing station you could swap all the tyres round for illegal ones, bulbs can expire on the way home, etc.etc.
    The plain facts of insurance are that if you need to claim after an accident and the police vehicle examiner says your vehicle was unroadworthy, MOT or not, you will be lucky to receive anything other than the basic third party cover, which of course is for any others involved not you. Dependent on the faults found various other offences may be revealed and summonses issued for them.
    So the question arises; Why are full timers trudging back to the UK for MOTs and UK Vehicle Excise Licences each year?

2. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

Err cos your insurance would be void also it would be illegal to drive in any other country if your vehicle did not comply with the regs in the country of registration? :Smile:

• Like Like x 5
  3. Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Insurance would not be Void where did you get that idea from, 3rd party cover is all that is required by law and if your vehicle is roadworthy, up to the police or Insurance vehicle examiner to prove it is not, then you are legally insured. The fully comp bit depends on their small print and all of them differ on small print. Where the confusion arises is inthe need to obtain an MOT every 11/12 months. This is a sort of safety net introduced in 1960 by the then Transport Minister Ernest Marples originally to for vehicles over 10 years old to be tested every year thereafter. In April 1967 it reduced to the present 3 yr old/annual/test format.
    Never ever been any requirement for vehicles used outside UK.
    Regarding other countries Regs, all covered in one of the Geneva conventions way before Common Market/EU existed

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  4. Pikey Pete

Pikey Pete Read Only Funster

I think you might be missing the point. Your insurance company requires you to ensure that your vehicle is on the road legally without a MOT you cannot tax it and without tax you are not on the road legally.
    If you are not on the road legally in the UK then you are not on the road legally anywhere else either.

Pete:Cool:

• Like Like x 5
  5. Traveller_HA5_3DOM

I respect your observation Pete but where do you draw it from with regard to EUROPE needing a UK MOT certificate. You also miss my point about MOTs being of use only on there day of issue to mitigate any offences of un-roadworthness that may exist and invalidate all but third party cover.

6. Pikey Pete

You do not need a UK MOT in other European countries as they have their own systems such as ITV in Spain, but you are not registered in other countries you are registered in the UK, where you do need a MOT certificate after the first 3 years and yearly afterwards.

You are right about the MOT not being a Guarantee of road worthiness, but you still have to have a valid one to remain road legal.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Bryan

Bryan Read Only Funster

Isn't this very simple?

The insurance company don't require the vehicle to be roadworthy...they require it to have a valid MOT.

No MOT = No insurance...

Seeeemples (squeak)

• Like Like x 3
  8. Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Bryan I can only speak of the small print on the Insurance I have had over the years since 1957 and roadworthy at all times is the term used, and as the driver/owner the responsibility for ensuring that it is, falls to both the driver and the owner. You are correct I believe in that latterly rather than have a vehicle examined by a professional examiner many have accepted a current MOT as sufficient proof in minor claims to avoid extra expense on their part, but that is all it is. If you are ever stopped by the Old Bill for a duff tyre see if your last MOT will get him/her to forget all about it.

9. Munchie

I would love to hear your arguments put to a Gendarme he he.:Eeek:

• Like Like x 2
  10. Traveller_HA5_3DOM

You do know of course that it is your right to have an interpreter present when questioned by Police in the EU. I doubt very much if the Village bobby in France, even with his little gun in his holster would be confident enough of his EU law to justify the expense

11. Munchie

Good luck!!!:RollEyes:

• Like Like x 3
  12. Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Thanks Ken but I don't full time so it is really a matter of trying to see if anyone has any raw facts to justify the expensive trudge to the UK that others keep doing on the basis of fear and rumour spread round the forums. Maybe someone will come along with some facts/evidence to support the need.

13. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

every country has its own MOT rules and form of car taxation, insurance, some will be different to ours possibly more strict, but they allow our vehicles to visit their countries so long as we are fully compliant with the motoring rules/regulations of our country, so that means insurance, MOT and tax - and seeing as you cannot get an MOT in europe for a vehicle unless you have imported it to that country, it means a trek home to comply.

...and yes you can have an interpreter present.... but did you know that you have to pay for said person to be there - unlike in the uk where we provide the service for free

• Like Like x 1
  14. Traveller_HA5_3DOM

I hear what you say but at the moment without quoting where the information/Legislation you state comes from it rates only as opinion.
    The Full timers I have met by and Large are not resident in any of the countries they visit and consequently cannot apply for the vehicle to be registered in that country. If you do not have a letter box you become very difficult to deal with.

15. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

You know full well where to find the legislation re MoT requirement and the UK law requi ments
    I refuse to engage in your game of denial
    I except and fully understand your argument re showing plod a current mot with 4 bald tyres
    Just as you do showing him 4 new tyres and no MoT
    Whether an Insurance breach or not it is a legal requirement to have a current valid mot when the vehicle is used on any UK roads at any time after its 3 year or 1 year periods of exemption have expired
    It is a legal requirement that all UK registered vehicle shall be fully legal in the uk to be legal elsware in europe
    You Know it,I know it and thankfully 99.9% of the driving population know it
    All your arguments are seriously flawed
    However a Europe wide exceptable MoT is on the cards soon
    Geo

• Like Like x 6
  16. Pikey Pete

If only.:Smile:

You wouldn't see me back in the UK for many a year.:thumb:

17. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Its only 3-4 years away they tell us, draught proposals already in, Mot print equipment updates already uploaded and in place at current MoT stations, capable of applying country of registration logo and language
    So you bring in a french registered vehicle say to me here and it leaves with a current French mot
    Dont hold yer breath but its coming:thumb: 2016
    Geo

• Like Like x 2
  18. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Ok I suppose mouthing of without the proof and maybe one or two still need convincing
    Up to the min regs

Useing abroad for less than one year called Tempoary export HERE

Using abroad for more than 12 months called Permanent export HERE

There are no other legal definitions you cant temp export for 13 months Etc:Doh:
    So full time uk reg vehicle use abroad is not allowed full stop
    Geo

• Like Like x 3
  19. Addie

Addie Trader - Motorhome Wifi

It all boils down to if you want to wing it and risk it. I'd certainly not entertain it, but what others do is up to them.

Example of a Motorhome Policy Wording:
    http://www.caravanguard.co.uk/downloads/motorhome_insurance_policy.pdf

Terms and conditions
    1.) The Motorhome must be permanently registered in the Territorial Limits and have a current MOT certificate. It shall at all times be maintained in a good mechanical and roadworthy condition and be regularly serviced in accordance with the manufacturer’s specifications.

• Like Like x 1
  20. JJ

JJ Funster

May I respectfully suggest that you just go home... say "Hi" to the family, drink some John Smiths, stock up on Marmite, Oxo cubes, Sainsburys' medium cut marmalade, Fray Bentos pies and...

...get a MOT at the same time. :Wink:

JJ :Cool:

• Like Like x 3