Gavernie, Pyrenees

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by The Ciderfarian, Jul 9, 2015.

1. The Ciderfarian

The Ciderfarian Read Only Funster

I believe there is a very nice aire in this village, but I am a bit concerned if the road up (and down) may be a little bit steep. I would appreciate any advice from anyone who has made this trip. I have a 2.6 litre autotrail cheyanne and would hope to bomb up there (and down) without difficulty.
    Look forward to your replies.

2. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

Campercontact gives two Aires.
    First one is 'Parking Holle' at N42.73857 W0.01959. Price of €4. The photo shows three 'vans one of which looks like it's shrunk in the rain (it's lickle)
    The second Aire is given as 'Parking du Cirque' @ N42.73694 W0.01278 It's down as Free with no services.
    In the comments it says that Cirque du Gavernie can be reached with a donkey, a horse or by foot.(says nothing about getting there by van! A giant waterfall, snow pillars and mountain slopes.

Regards

• Like Like x 1
  3. fleurides

fleurides

I've only made the trip by car but there are no sections of the road which would cause problems due to steepness. There are some spectacular walks round Gavarnie, particularly the Refuge des Espuguettes &, of course, la Cirque de Gavarnie, which is superb.

4. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Decades ago I got there by bus, so I think the road should be fine.

• Like Like x 1
  5. jumar

jumar Funster

We pass that way with a 6.5m motorhome, we have never had problems. As this location is at the head of a valley its a good idea to stay a few days so go stocked up.
    Fantastic location, views are stunning. The aires are very well attended by motorhomers from around Europe, many long stay. Hope you can include this on your travels.

• Like Like x 1
  6. The Ciderfarian

The Ciderfarian Read Only Funster

Thanks folks, hope to be there in September

7. kaasbroodje

kaasbroodje Funster

We visited Cauterets and Pont d'Espagne last summer. Roads were great, was quite surprised at how easy the drive was.

Wonderful part of the world, sure you'll have a fab time !

8. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

The road is OK, the aire without sevices has great views and ;) a toilet block very near with a tap. (y)
    Make sure you have good foot wear and plenty of water with you, there is no indication of how far you have to go, we went on the recommendation of @PenelopePitstop :cry:
    Only wearing sandals and very little else, thinking they walked up there, :eek: but NO they only got as far as the bar, whatever were we thinking. :ROFLMAO::LOL: Bob and Janie.

9. PenelopePitstop

PenelopePitstop Funster Life Member

Oi you!! Went went nearly all the way to the cirque!! We did stop at the bar for refreshments but then carried on. I was wearing either flip flops or trekking sandals! It's a great walk and one I'd like to do again sometime. We stayed at the campsite that's on the path to the cirque. Lovely views from there and spectacular thunderstorms every night ( it was July I think when we went and very hot!).

• Like Like x 1