Gassy Urban Myth?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by OddSocks, Jun 2, 2014.

1. OddSocks

OddSocks Read Only Funster

I have heard a few times, and not believed, stories about people being gassed in their motorhomes or caravans and then robbed. So I thought I would do some research, as I am sure the topic has been done to death on forums like this one. So I have done some research:

Magazine articles discussing it: hundreds
    Forum Threads multiple forums: even more hundreds
    Gas Alarm Manufacturers: Dozens
    News articles about attacks: Zero.

Not 1 single news article about people being gassed and robbed in their motorhome or caravan. I searched news sites, the BBC, Google News, Yahoo, Sky, Huffington Post, RT, and every other combination of search phrase on every site I could possible think of. Not one single news report from any agency that I can find in the UK, or indeed Europe.

Not one news report on the entire internet of a gassing and robery in a motorhome or caravan.

Don't think I will worry about this urban myth any longer! lol :Doh::Doh::Doh:

• Like Like x 4
  2. Tootles

Tootles Funster

It does happen!! My wife was badly gassed when sleeping in the MH. :cry:

We put it down to the double egg, beans and SPAM she gave me for tea. :Doh::Wink:

• Like Like x 5
  3. camocam1

camocam1 Read Only Funster

do actually remember reading an article in either the CCC or CC magazine about but cant remember which one it was. It was by a member who wrote in about "actually being gassed" Like you I do not believe the myth BUT we were planning a trip to France at the time and the boss said "see I told you it is true so we are not going "
    Still trying to talk her round

4. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

look for the report by the royal college of anaesthesiology about the feasibility or possibility of gassing. not just a myth total and utter crap. if this mythical gas could do as suggested it would revolutionise surgery. after all nobody has ever died of being gassed in a motorhome, unlike the pioneers of surgery

the quantity of ether needed to incapacitate the average person is a pretty high quantity in parts per million of ambient air. long before this the natural gagging reflex will wake you up. how do i know this? well lets just say I have had to learn a lot about how I breathe due to a medical condition. I need extra oxygen when i sleep and terrify any anaesthetist if i go in for operations due to high risk of stopping breathing resulting in brain damage

believe me, there is no such thing as robbers gassing unsuspecting travellers without killing plenty. gas alarms for other gasses though are really a lifesaver. hydrogen rich gas from bad batteries and lpg leaks are explosive and carbon monoxide, well we all know that is deadly

• Like Like x 6
  5. Gizmouk

Gizmouk Funster

More likely the truth is:
    Motorhomers get pissed / smacked off their tits, gone to sleep / passed out without locking the doors. Opportunist thief helps themselves to contents of said motorhome.
    Motorhomists don't want to admit the truth the plod / insurance, so roll out the usual "we must have been gassed" story.

Or, like us, they have a greyhound - who gasses us most nights

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

• Like Like x 13
  6. OddSocks

OddSocks Read Only Funster

Related: Are those Gas alarms (For CO, LPG etc) any use? Recommend one?

7. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

bdh.gif

• Like Like x 6
  8. johnp10

johnp10 Funster

CO and smoke alarms are seen by many as a must.
    Myself included.

I have seen on the market alarms which are supposed to be smoke / CO combined.
    Two different functions combined??
    Don't think so.

Decent separate smoke and CO alarms have it covered.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Dazzlin

Dazzlin Funster Life Member

Just had this conversation with a couple in portugal.
    Me "Yes but have you ever experienced it first hand?"
    Them "yes the people we spoke to were knocked out by gas"
    Me "have YOU experienced it?"
    Them "yes, they really were gassed!"

• Like Like x 3
  10. sedge

sedge Funster

Yup and they stick smoke detectors far too high up in the van to be any use to you in a CO2 situation. CO2 sinks and smoke rises!

So if you are sleeping at normal bed level and not in an extra high Luton with it's own means of escape, you'd most likely be near enough dead if not completely defunct, by the time a high-up alarm went off.

Madness.

11. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

I have got an anti Romanian alarm fitted to mine.

You can't be too careful:thumb:

• Like Like x 9
  12. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Smoke detectors don't detect the CO2, though. There are many different types and the common ones as fitted to most MHs work (I think) on ionisation principles and detect smoke which does rise with the heat. I would not be without either a CO alarm or smoke detector.

• Like Like x 3
  13. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

it's on the Fun magazine ..

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/magazine/articles/motorhome-gas-attacks/#comment-1975

• Like Like x 3
  14. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Is that the alarm with a trip switch and a very loud speaker that screams "Ai un interviu de angajare!" if they break in, making them run away? :Eek!:

15. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Wow you really know how to dine well don't you ... forget spam ... it has be bacon grill!!! :BigGrin:

16. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

Thanks Jim, knew the article was here someplace but forgot to look in the magazine pages:thumb:

@Tootles.....job interview indeed:Rofl1: doubt they have ever heard of such a thing in Romania

• Like Like x 1
  17. Tootles

Tootles Funster

I have always enjoyed simple food, cooked at home on a simple grate, by a simple woman. :BigGrin::Wink:

• Like Like x 1
  18. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Please follow the manufacturer's recommendations which will come with the device.. CO detectors should be placed high up if the potential threat is in the same room, which it is in a MH. Fit two to be doubly sure if you want, one high one low. They cost peanuts. http://www.aico.co.uk/Siting-Carbon-Monoxide-CO-Alarms.html

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Wyaye wires

Wyaye wires

Dare one suggest that she would have to be to stay with you? :BigGrin::Wink::RollEyes::Doh::Blush::BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Inthezone

Inthezone Read Only Funster

Gassing

I do beleive its unlikley to happen, but we have the smoke and carbon monoxide alarms fitted in case there is a fault with the cooker / boiler or batteries, more importantly we have the Thacham cat 1 alarm which protects the external doors etc when we are asleep and sounds a very loud alarm to scare off any intruders, but the main thing is to never leave valuables on show for the oppotunist scumbag to steal them.

All you can do is try to deter them, gone are the days of shooting intruders and dumping them in the Biffa bins :Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1