Gassing .. yes spoke to the man (1 Viewer)

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I'ts easy to scoff and I hope you are all right, but I have spoken to a man with first hand knowledge the police had interveened in time and gas bottles were found. There is enough evidence in my mind to think it could have happened on a number of occasions. Unless it happens you are the one it happened to you will never believe it. An open mind is a safe mind.:Smile:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I pity the poor eastern European gang who tries spraying gas into the Wagon to "put me under" so they can break in and rob me...

They would need so much of the stuff to counteract the natural gases emitting from places like the fridge, clothes waiting to be washed "basket" (bin bags) and the potatoes, carrots and onions that have fallen into the bottom of the (unfinished) wardrobe and started to sprout that they would need a twenty ton truck to transport the cylinders to the off site park-up where I was...

Then, once in the vehicle, without immunity strengthened over years of exposure to the rare germs sharing luxury of the Wagon with me, they would catch unidentifiable illnesses that no doctor could diagnose...

and the really funny thing is... although I do keep my famed millions in cash in tins "A La Dodd"... they are not in the Wagon... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

JJ :Cool:

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I pity the poor eastern European gang who tries spraying gas into the Wagon to "put me under" so they can break in and rob me...

They would need so much of the stuff to counteract the natural gases emitting from places like the fridge, clothes waiting to be washed "basket" (bin bags) and the potatoes, carrots and onions that have fallen into the bottom of the (unfinished) wardrobe and started to sprout that they would need a twenty ton truck to transport the cylinders to the off site park-up where I was...

Then, once in the vehicle, without immunity strengthened over years of exposure to the rare germs sharing luxury of the Wagon with me, they would catch unidentifiable illnesses that no doctor could diagnose...

and the really funny thing is... although I do keep my famed millions in cash in tins "A La Dodd"... they are not in the Wagon... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

And you tempt that lovely young French lady into such a toxic environment, with all that gas you could take advantage of her JJ wicked :winky::lipstick::man_in_love::man_in_love::france:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
And you tempt that [HI]lovely young French lady into such a toxic environment[/HI], with all that gas you could take advantage of her JJ wicked :winky::lipstick::man_in_love::man_in_love::france:

Good Lord... Larrywin... no, no, no, and again no... :Blush:

My Princess would never climb into the living area of the Wagon... :Eeek:

Only the best for her... we use the Hymer when we are together... This is kept in a civilised condition (more or less...) :winky:

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Many many years ago I had the misfortune to spend a couple of months driving an old Seddon-Atkinson artic. It had a very high tech cold-start device fitted to the top of the engine, consisting of a large canister of ether (or similar - main ingredient was ether anyway, can't mistake the smell...), operated when necessary by a system of rods controlled by a pushbutton by the gearlever. You had to press it momentarily as you operated the starter. First night-out, spread gear around cab, unfolded bedding, plonked bag down ..... late next day woke up with stonking head-ache - and empty starter aid thingy ... Yes, I effectively gassed myself :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Hmmmmm !!!

Only the best for her... we use the Hymer when we are together... This is kept in a civilised condition (more or less...) :winky:

Not what I seem to remember JJ at Marjal !!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I posted about this back in March 2009 I can't believe people still believe or think it might be possible...

From the Link Removed..

There are persistent reports of holidaymakers being anaesthetised by the injection of ether into a caravan or motorhome, and then robbed. Is there any truth to this rumour? How much ether would be needed to make someone unconscious long enough to rob them, but without causing death?
It would not be possible to render someone unconscious with ether without their knowledge, even if they were sleeping at the time. Ether is an extremely pungent agent and a relatively weak anaesthetic by modern standards and has a very irritant affect on the air passages, causing coughing and sometimes vomiting. It takes some time to reach unconsciousness, even if given by direct application to the face on a cloth, and the concentration needed by some sort of spray into a room would be enormous. The smell hangs around for days and would be obvious to anyone the next day.
There are much more powerful agents around now, some of which are almost odourless. However these would be unlikely to be able to achieve this effect, and the cost would be huge enough to deter any thief unless he was after the crown jewels. Potential agents, such as the one used by the Russians in the Moscow siege are few in number and difficult to obtain.
Finally, unsupervised anaesthesia is very dangerous. In the Moscow siege about 20% of victims died from asphyxia, because their airways were unprotected. If the reports of holidaymakers being anaesthetized by injection of ether into a caravan or motorhome are true we would have expected a significant number of deaths or cases of serious brain damage to have been reported.
Issued February 2007

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I am only the messenger

I am only the messenger.... or reporter as you wish.

The couple tell me that the cash was in the wallet and the credit cards were not, but somewhere else in the motorhome.

It is they .... not me that said they were gassed... I actually questioned the fact knowing that a lot of whatever would be needed to make them stay a sleep. The lady says her husband did not get up for a pee:RollEyes: which he always did.

I cannot see any damage on the motorhome (B class) Laika .... on a 54 plate... it has a habitation door and two cab doors.. taking Ezzie for a walk I had a good look going past it both ways and I could not see any forced entry.

But out of interest I am a light sleeper and even with a full sleeping tablet I do not manage much more than 2 to 3 hours before I am awake.. call of nature and all that. However at 1.30 day before yesterday I heard a high pitch alarm going off.. it was coming from a long way from our RV.. we think it was from one of the static caravans..

Yesterday we had the local police wagon going round the camp site and last night the gates were chained closed at 10 p.m. .. .. while the gate notice does say shut between 10 p.m and 7 a.m I have never known them to be closed before... so was there an attempted break in on the site? who knows.

But this alleged gas attack was not on this site.... clearly the chap has been robbed as he was trying to do the site fees and shopping today using the credit card... we asked if he was in bound or out... seems he was not sure as he had been over for sometime and was due to meet friends that cancelled out.. The weather was bad and he was thinking of heading back to the UK... He seems to be sorted now...

I (we) will never know... and yes I remember the ether in a can we used it years back to dope engines in to starting... But I think if something like that was used he would have had a hell of a headache which he said he did not.

I (as the messenger or reporter) do not know the answer...

And yes I am guilty as charged in mentioning my european sized RV.. and yes I am selling it on my return to get a bigger one (Toy Hauler).. but this was an honest report, regardless of the doubting thomas's out there. At least I can say I spoke to the horse mouth and not 100 removed down the line... Read Geo's post.. sums it up I think:Blush:

Bob:Eeek:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004

Not so bad then JJ , but do you feed her FB pies :winky:

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
I sleep at home for about 6-7 hours, with a toilet break in the middle. I am usually awake around 06.30.
When i have the chance to slope off in the RV on my own, it's a different story. Last month on the local MH park, i went to bed at ten (no drink) and awoke to the sound of an engine and something rattling. It was the park keeper emptying the waste bins............at 0900h!
I had slept for 11 hours solid! (without being gassed)!
Last night I stayed in the RV alone, and again in bed at ten (2 bottles of beer) and awoke at 0800h! (Not gassed, and no toilet break)!
I can sleep much, much better, in the RV than at home, so maybe that's what happens to people when they are relaxed, and on holiday, and away from the stresses of everyday life.
And as for 'gas containers off the shelf for 6 quid', strewth! It's amazing how these robbers know how much to administer without causing death.

Craig

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Sue thinks it is the fresh air

I sleep at home for about 6-7 hours, with a toilet break in the middle. I am usually awake around 06.30.
When i have the chance to slope off in the RV on my own, it's a different story. Last month on the local MH park, i went to bed at ten (no drink) and awoke to the sound of an engine and something rattling. It was the park keeper emptying the waste bins............at 0900h!
I had slept for 11 hours solid! (without being gassed)!
Last night I stayed in the RV alone, and again in bed at ten (2 bottles of beer) and awoke at 0800h! (Not gassed, and no toilet break)!
I can sleep much, much better, in the RV than at home, so maybe that's what happens to people when they are relaxed, and on holiday, and away from the stresses of everyday life.
And as for 'gas containers off the shelf for 6 quid', strewth! It's amazing how these robbers know how much to administer without causing death.

Craig

Sue thinks it is the fresh air that makes us sleep longer... I noticed Sue sleeps longer while we are away.. me? still have to spend a penny.. but I think she is right the fresh air and not doing a lot makes you sleep well.

Bob

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I sleep much, much better in the Motorhome.

11 until about 4.30 at home and 11 till 6.30-7 in the van.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I often sleep more than 12hr when away in the van. Last night I slept solidly even though Shirley told me the dog tied outside the van next door had been barking for hours. I never heard it at all. I had precisely (as it was a restuarant) 1L of house red at dinner.

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
an update

The man says they forced the drivers door clock..screwdriver... but he does not seem keen on discussing it much further.. tried.

Bob:Blush:

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
The man says they forced the drivers door clock..screwdriver... but he does not seem keen on discussing it much further.. tried.

Could be they are short of a few bob and putting in a large insurance claim:Eeek:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
I am only the messenger.... or reporter as you wish.

The couple tell me that the cash was in the wallet and the credit cards were not, but somewhere else in the motorhome.

But this alleged gas attack was not on this site.... [HI]c[/HI][HI]learly the chap has been robbed as he was trying to do the site fees and shopping today using the credit card.[/HI]..

Bob:Eeek:

If trying to pay for site fees and shopping by credit card is evidence of having been robbed, we must have been robbed on a very regular basis.....:RollEyes:

This would explain why I have often found my wallet empty, after waking from a good nights sleep, whilst away in the van.
I presumed I had probably just spent the cash on alcohol, when actually I have obviously been gassed and robbed in my sleep......:Doh:

Must be more careful in future.......:winky::winky:

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
firstly never leave cash about

If trying to pay for site fees and shopping by credit card is evidence of having been robbed, we must have been robbed on a very regular basis.....:RollEyes:

This would explain why I have often found my wallet empty, after waking from a good nights sleep, whilst away in the van.
I presumed I had probably just spent the cash on alcohol, when actually I have obviously been gassed and robbed in my sleep......:Doh:

Must be more careful in future.......:winky::winky:

firstly... i never leave cash about... if i do Sue will swoop and it will be gone.. I have learned that....

and that is with out any alcohol about.

Bob:winky:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I know we're dubious about this and why we are - but you know if you were that bloke and it is true, and perchance you thought you'd take a look at this site after you came back home .....

One question though. Would an attack like that, be likely leave marks on the door round the lock area, or can you get em out without mucking the outer skin up? I know you could drill the old, completely metal handle, sort and if done properly you wouldn't have known it had been done, but just don't know what's possible with a more modern lock, or with a screwdriver/some similar implement. I wouldn't honestly expect your average ne'er do well to take a great deal of care, even though he may well have to be quiet whilst doing it. He wouldn't exactly care about your paint/bodywork - now would he?

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I agree Jenny

I know we're dubious about this and why we are - but you know if you were that bloke and it is true, and perchance you thought you'd take a look at this site after you came back home .....

One question though. Would an attack like that, be likely leave marks on the door round the lock area, or can you get em out without mucking the outer skin up? I know you could drill the old, completely metal handle, sort and if done properly you wouldn't have known it had been done, but just don't know what's possible with a more modern lock, or with a screwdriver/some similar implement. I wouldn't honestly expect your average ne'er do well to take a great deal of care, even though he may well have to be quiet whilst doing it. He wouldn't exactly care about your paint/bodywork - now would he?

I agree Jenny, this chap believes he was gassed.. I cannot say if that was so or not.. he believes it. He was clearly robbed (his statement)...As I was not there I can only report what he has told me... He is not due back in the UK for about two weeks and he is moving on tomorrow.. not sure if to go home or another site.. He was asking me about a site at Amiens and how safe it was.. he has a fear of it happening again.

The vehicle he has has the older Fiat cab.. and the too locks do not look anything special and I have no doubt with a big enough screwdriver you might be able to twist the lock and get the door open.

Even if not a gassing it is a possible robbery... that is not good news to any motor home owner in the UK or Europe. It seems to me that motor home owners are an easy target.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
What is all this nonsense about gassing and wondering about in your motorhome while the occupants are asleep. I'll give a kings ransom to the first person who can wander about in my motorhome while I am asleep. Using gas or not. :ROFLMAO:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I agree Jenny, this chap believes he was gassed..

Tell him he wasn't Bob, he'll believe you. You being a lawyer an all. ::bigsmile:Unless you put him right, he'll continue spreading untrue/unfounded stories that genuinely scare people from touring that fine country.

But reading further you say "Even if not a gassing" so I'm getting the feeling that you believe he was gassed :Doh: He wasn't.

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
please, please please Buttons

What is all this nonsense about gassing and wondering about in your motorhome while the occupants are asleep. I'll give a kings ransom to the first person who can wander about in my motorhome while I am asleep. Using gas or not. :ROFLMAO:

Please, please please Buttons.. you cannot describe you VW box as a motor home... with you and your tribe plus dog I doubt you could even get a burglar in the VW... if he was made of liquid ....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I saw one of yours today Buttons.

It looked pretty cool.

Can you use it overnight in winter though?

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I saw one of yours today Buttons.

It looked pretty cool.

Can you use it overnight in winter though?
You can indeed treacle, many options you can get an isulated cover that fits over the hood just put it on the roof before it goes up. The diesel heater will keep the van comfortable even in arctic conditions. Or, do as we do in cold inclement conditions and sleep downstairs with the roof down. It is just a case of sitting up pressing a button and the roof will rise in a few seconds.
We probably use it more than anyone on the site during the winter. But there is only two of us. Not so good for the family in winter though.:thumb:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Bob as your is 23ft 9 inches how much gas do you think it would take to rob you?
and is it true its for sale:winky:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
If there is no damage to the locks it leaves me with two possibilities.
he didn't lock up or the thief has a master key (if such things exist?)

I am a light sleeper but I know that in my deepest stages of sleep it can be tricky to wake me. I know this because all the crap in my main cupboard fell out onto the floor one night. I had a dream that I was in a very noisey car crash that night so I am guessing your sub conscious can integrate external events into dreams and you maintain your sleep state.

Once when I was in France I left my keys in the habitation door after making a late night gas bottle swap. Stupid in the extreme. I got up the next day in a very busy aire and couldn't find the keys. It wasn't until I went outside to get some fresh air and have a think I saw them in the door. I was very lucky. I am extremely careful about locking up and am a bit paranoid about routines etc. If I can leave the keys outside it is possible that a door can be overlooked when doing the locking routine. If you have central locking they do occasionally cock up as well. So you may think you have locked but a door can be left unlocked.

So, they don't need to break in and even a noisy burglar can get away with thing...

I would go with the principle defined by Occam's Razor .....

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
We too sleep much more soundly when in the van. I fitted my own alarm when we bought the van new last year. At night I can isolate the inside from the external doors/windows. There is also a narcotics alarm (yes I know it is all c**p but it is there anyway for all gases/carbon monoxide).
If anyone tries to enter the van through any locker/door or window the alarm will frighten the s**t out of them, it is so loud it even makes me jump. It is a Sola-larm and brilliant value for money at £160 for everything I have, including internal microwave sensor.

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I thought this had died

I though this post had died ... so many of our m embers would not accept that I met a man that claimed he had been gassed....

Oh well.. second go is OK with me.

Now I have a Vanbitz alarm and that has a sleep mode.. plus like all good RV's we have the various gas type alarms already fitted at the factory.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I though this post had died ... so many of our m embers would not accept that I met a man that claimed he had been gassed....

Oh well.. second go is OK with me.

Now I have a Vanbitz alarm and that has a sleep mode.. [HI]plus like all good RV's we have the various gas type alarms already fitted at the factory.
[/HI]
Love your style Bob. Are you saying that your RV has factory fitted gas alarms, amazing these yanks, they think of everything. That Vanbitz alarm must be the top of the range jobbie.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back