Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I had no reason to doubt his story .

Sorry Cobweb, but I have. Natural curiosity would make one look at just what this 'hissing cannister' actually was, even if that survey was left until the morning, and even maybe retaining it for further inspection. A small cannister as described was either smoke, or an irritant, such as CS? Anything else would probably need a cannister as large as a gas bottle!

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Hi

Like I said I did not see any reason not to believe him . Cannot ask either since he has moved on . It is a bit like telling people that you have been abducted by aliens ....nobody believes you . Let us hope that it does not happen to anyone on this forum and if it does I hope that they let us know .
In the meanwhile let us be careful out there .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
its not so much as we don't believe people its just the fact that its well known it's near impossible to bloody gas someone in a motorhome scare stories to keep the missus up all night and like i have said on may occasions i have crashed out in a service station and slept like a log (without gas)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Hi

I find the lack of sympathy from you funsters a bit alarming . What if it is all true ? A while back a builder working on our house told us that they had overnighted in a service station in France in a brand new motorhome and someone had actually chucked a hissing canister into their van in the middle of the night through their roof hatch which was open without an insect screen because it was very hot . Luckily he was awake at the time and chucked the canister out and after saw a car speeding away . He and his family got out of there pretty fast and swore never to stay in such a location again. Because the canister was still hissing they did not investigate what it was. I had no reason to doubt his story .

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Would have thought they would have felt the van move when attackers climbed up rear ladder to access roof light. To much red wine i suppose. Vans and caravans are vented in the floor to allow cooking gas to escape if there is a leak so any gas ha ha, thrown into van would escape the same way. There has never ever been an insurance claim for gassing. BUSBY....

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Hi
I have always been convinced that I would wake up if I heard the slightest noise or felt any movement . About a week ago on our way back from Germany I apparently slept through a severe thunderstorm and torrential rain! I only had one glass of wine before . I somehow doubt that anyone staying in a service station overnight would think it a good time to get p****d since the only reason to stay in one would be in transit and needing to get up bright and early to continue the journey .

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
not always on a saturday night it can be full of truckers have a meal and a bottle of wine due to the fact they wont be driving on a sunday

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Hi

This makes you wonder why the truckers are not targeted by gangs of thieves since they would have a lot of high value goods making robbing them much more profitable than a couple in a motorhome .Perhaps it happens and we don't hear about it or maybe they have very good security systems and alarms onboard.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Hi

This makes you wonder why the truckers are not targeted by gangs of thieves since they would have a lot of high value goods making robbing them much more profitable than a couple in a motorhome .Perhaps it happens and we don't hear about it or maybe they have very good security systems and alarms onboard.

And perhaps it doesn't.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
The difference between a truck and a motorhome is the height. You can open a motorhome door stood on the ground. To access a truck you would have to climb. Busby.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
bloody scare stories should be banned from this site

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
You cannot ban the Daily Mail or the Sun from reporting these stories and they do have more readers than this site. Maybe we should end this thread now since there is another one running also on motorhome chat . All I can say that we just don't know what happened since we were not there . All we can do is to be cautious and minimise the chances of being robbed by locking and alarming and not leaving valuables lying around or having all our money and cards in one place or bag so that if the worst happens it is not a total disaster . However the chances of this happening to any of us are miniscule !

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
It seems only Sun or Daily Mail readers suffer from these gas attacks. My advice is to not read either paper and you will be safe.
On a different note, last night, we were abducted by aliens who, while were inthe mothership, stole our money, emptied out all our bottles of beer and wine, and trashed the toilet.
We both woke up feeling groggy and one of the van windows was open, so it must have happened........
Allan

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Wow ! No doubt we will read all about it in the SUN or Daily Mail soon !

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
There wuz oi driving 'cross the Nullabar, when all ov a sudden there wuz this bright light- - - - - -

And then oi found me 1922 model T when oi woke up had turned into an Holden EH , an' oi wuz pregnant!!- - - - -

Oi foun' out later tha' tha' 3rd bottle of Chateau Rouge 'as tha' effect on ee!

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
I remember going to the dentist as a child.

They used to stick this big black smelly rubber mask over my nose and mouth and gas me.

It used to give a wonderful buzzz

but a bloody awful headache when I came to

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
It seems only Sun or Daily Mail readers suffer from these gas attacks. My advice is to not read either paper and you will be safe.
On a different note, last night, we were abducted by aliens who, while were inthe mothership, stole our money, emptied out all our bottles of beer and wine, and trashed the toilet.
We both woke up feeling groggy and one of the van windows was open, so it must have happened........
Allan

Could have been worse...... no probing, at least...... If you want to know what aliens are really like, see the film "Paul". Hilarious (y)

SandT

Free Member
Oct 15, 2012
Malta
Funster No
MH
Safari Trek
Exp
Travelled all around Europe for years, no trouble and never met anyone who has been robbed! until this morning.
We are staying on a municipal camp site by a river in the Gar. lovely place and people are very friendly, parked next to a German family in a small tent (two adults and two children). They woke up this morning to find three slits in the side of their tent and money /passports gone. Credit cards left outside the tent but no sign of the bum bag, no one heard a thing.
No gas or drink involved, amazing how brazen some thieves can be.

Terry

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I've been the victim of such a theft. Taught me to put my valuables under my pillow, not at my feet.

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
Any anesthetists on here? I have heard this sort of story so many times and the logistics of getting the gas ratio just right is confusing. I've never worked in theatre so don't know, but size of van number of occupants etc

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Any anesthetists on here? I have heard this sort of story so many times and the logistics of getting the gas ratio just right is confusing. I've never worked in theatre so don't know, but size of van number of occupants etc
The royal society of anaesthetists or whatever they are called has already commented on this issue. To put it bluntly they say it is all rubbish. If you put a random number of people to sleep a significant proportion will swallow their tounges and choke. This is what happened in Russia in the sports stadium. That no one has died in these fictitious gassing robberies shows they didn't happen as the victims think, even though some of them are so convincingly persuaded it did.

Reactions: kcy
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Hi

I find the lack of sympathy from you funsters a bit alarming . What if it is all true ? A while back a builder working on our house told us that they had overnighted in a service station in France in a brand new motorhome and someone had actually chucked a hissing canister into their van in the middle of the night through their roof hatch which was open without an insect screen because it was very hot . Luckily he was awake at the time and chucked the canister out and after saw a car speeding away . He and his family got out of there pretty fast and swore never to stay in such a location again. Because the canister was still hissing they did not investigate what it was. I had no reason to doubt his story .
just a thought cobweb do you manufacture or sell gas alarms for a living

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I think I might just add a couple of points for consideration. I promise then to never ever comment on this nonsense again.

1. The Royal College of Anaesthetists, who know a little bit about putting people to sleep, say there is no known substance that will knock someone out enough so that they sleep through a robbery but still wake up at more or less the usual time in the morning displaying hangover type symptoms. I think it's safe to assume that they are thinking of trying to achieve this with highly trained consultant doctors under operating theatre conditions with masks and IV drips.

2. If the RCA are completely wrong and such a substance exists but they have never heard of it, is it really conceivable that this mystery wonder drug is not only effective and safe enough that it can not only be administered by "Eastern European criminals" with perfect results and without killing anyone but it can also be administered in a big box that couldn't be made airtight if you tried?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back