Gaslow

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Brian and Jo, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Brian and Jo

Brian and Jo Funster Life Member

hi guys.after almost 10yrs of having an american rv we have now decided to go back to a european motorhome.what exactly is gaslow? can the gaslow system be fitted to any motorhome ?is it expensive? and finally is it worth it? thanks.
    brian and jo (y)

2. The Dude

The Dude Funster

Gaslow is a refillable system, i.e. instead of having the swap the empty (or part empty!) gas bottles you just pull into a service station that sells LPG and refill them via an external (usually) filler point. We had this installed on our previous MH with Alugas cylinders (lighter than Gaslow cylinders) and when we changed our motorhome we just took the cylinder with us and had another external filler point installed. Our was done by Dave Newell in Telford - a Funster member and highly recommended. Give him a call for prices.

• Like Like x 1
  3. davidbaldam

davidbaldam Funster

Gaslow ( other systems are available) can be fitted to most vans, are they expensive, that depends on your point of view, they are very convenient, especially in Europe. Had my Autogas system fitted by Dave Newell and wouldn't be without it. (y)

• Like Like x 1
  4. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Ever so convenient as above and only worth it from a financial point of view if you use a lot of gas. Cheapest supplier is hamilton gas products. We don't use a lot of gas but will install a Gaslow system sometime soon (got a 13kg calor to get through first....)

• Like Like x 1
  5. daveandsan

daveandsan Funster

We had 2 11kg alugas bottles fitted by Dave Newell and I don't know if I will recoup the cost, but for me it is the convenience of not having to lug 13kg bottles in and out the locker.

• Like Like x 2
  6. DuxDeluxe

Exactly!!(y)

7. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

• Like Like x 1
  8. Roryboys Dad

Roryboys Dad Read Only Funster

I fitted a Gaslow system to my MH at the back end of last year.

The MH had only a 6kg Calor bottle when we bought it and I trawled through threads on forums to find the best way of having enough gas for Continental touring.

The easiest option seemed to be to fit an 11kg Gaslow bottle and keep the 6kg bottle as back up.

The cost for Gaslow bottle, refill kit and hose, bracket, filling kit and French adaptor came to around £230.

It took me, a total amateur, less than 2 hours to fit the system - with the filling bracket inside the Gas locker.

I then took it to a qualified Motorhome Gas engineer and he checked it over for free.

If, after your first trip abroad, you think you don't have enough gas capacity you can always add a second Gaslow bottle at a later date but I don't see the point of paying well over a hundred quid for a second Gaslow bottle I might never need to use.

Pilote Gaslow System 1.jpg And it will be cheaper filling abroad – it cost 80 cents (64p) a litre in France a couple of weeks ago
    We have never been stopped from filling up in France and most people seem to have no problems.

Humping heavy bottles of gas, 11 or 13kg, are now a thing of the past - the clanging of dropped bottles as they hit the floor and the swearing as you trap your finger or drop them on your foot can be consigned to history.

You may not see any financial benefit for some time but ensuring your blood pressure remains stable is well worth the initial outlay.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Jim

Jim Ringleader

If you have the room then look at adding an under-slung tank, bigger better and can be cheaper. And you free up the gas locker. I've seen gas lockers turned into excellent extra battery lockers or welly lockers :)

• Like Like x 2
  10. TheDogMan

TheDogMan Funster

I agree with Jim an underslung tank is best !!!!

• Like Like x 1
  11. vwalan

vwalan Funster

hi brian i bet if you ask around you will be able to pick up some of the usa white refillable bottles . you must have contacts .

• Like Like x 1
  12. DuxDeluxe

Exactly what we did with the last van. A really good option to explore, but expensive initial outlay

13. makems

makems Funster Life Member

A good idea provided you don't intend touring countries where LPG is not available such as Morocco or where LPG filling stations are hard to come by like Denmark and to a lesser extent Spain (although that is improving)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Al-Di

Al-Di Funster

15. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

With regards to cost, my single Gasit 11kg bottle and all the fittings I needed came to just under £190 and was very easy to fit myself. I now use my Calor bottle as a standby in case I run out. Not needed it so far.

• Like Like x 1
  16. vwalan

vwalan Funster