Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
I am thinking about having a Gaslow system fitted to replace the Calor Gas system we currently have fitted but I have one concern about filling.

I appreciate the filling point is suitable for the UK system but can it be used on mainland Europe as it is or do i have to buy a range of Adaptors?

I think that having a Gaslow refillable system would be much better for extended pereods of European travel what are Funsters opinions?

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
You are right that having a Gaslow System is (in my opinion) an essential piece of equipment especially if you intend to spend any time in Europe. It removes the stress of differing gas bottles / deposits and attachments and of course the system can be removed / transferred or sold at a later stage as we have done several times.

There are 3 'adaptors' required and I've used them all at one time or another:

Italian/French (Flat plate, most common and easiest to use)
Spanish/Euro (New, bullet shaped, common in Spain. Be careful when unscrewing since liquid gas gets trapped between the bullet and the fitting)
Euro adaptor (External Thread).

More often then not a garage might have these available to borrow but we carry them all anyway.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
You are right that having a Gaslow System is (in my opinion) an essential piece of equipment especially if you intend to spend any time in Europe. It removes the stress of differing gas bottles / deposits and attachments and of course the system can be removed / transferred or sold at a later stage as we have done several times.

There are 3 'adaptors' required and I've used them all at one time or another:

Italian/French (Flat plate, most common and easiest to use)
Spanish/Euro (New, bullet shaped, common in Spain. Be careful when unscrewing since liquid gas gets trapped between the bullet and the fitting)
Euro adaptor (External Thread).

More often then not a garage might have these available to borrow but we carry them all anyway.

I agree with Addie.. I use refillable and live in France where the gas is cheaper than the UK...but it means I can fill up in most if not all countries I visit....NOW I have 4 adaptors ( but we will not argue over the extra adaptor as I may never need it:Doh:) these adaptors were given to me on completion of the work done By Dave Newel....a very good service I might add.....

Now have you thought of Alugas.......that is what Dave fitted for me with a external connection...the reason I say Alugas bottles... they are half the weight of the Gaslow bottles doing the same Job....just a thought you might want to look at/research:thumb:

I towed with the idea for a long time should I go refillable or not...as the gas in France was cheap .....but then you need regulators for the different countries and bottles.....Now I am glad I did go over to refillables:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Halfway House

Certainly,a refillable system makes travelling around Europe a lot easier,and,yes you will need adaptors for different regions.
To my mind Gaslow or Alugas are a 'Halfway house' Why not go the whole way and install an underslung LPG tank as we did.
You then have the existing Gas Locker as extra storage-ours held 2x13kg bottles,so is quite capacious.

Mike.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
We have had a 2 x 11 Kg Gaslow system since buying the van in 2007. It came complete with a range of adapters and I think if you buy the full kit, they are still supplied with it. if not, they are available from Gaslow. I would not be without the system, although if I were choosing again today, I would look at the lighter weight Alugas system too.
Whilst I have the range of adapters, we have never yet had to refill abroad. In summer, and staying away for no more than 3 weeks (so far) I have not used more than one bottle full of LPG. In fact, I have only ever filled up at two locations, other than my local, in five years. One of the great benefits of the Gaslow (and similar systems) is the ability to refill before you go away, regardless of how much is left in the tanks - no wasted part-filled tanks to exchange.
As a guide to usage, in summer, when we run the fridge, cook and heat water by gas (occasional barbecues too) an 11 kg bottle lasts at least 2-3 weeks. In winter when we are running the fridge, cooking and all heating by gas, a bottle can be empty in 3-4 days if it is well below zero outside. (We hardly ever hook up to 230V electricity.)

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
After many year thinking about refillable bottles I have eventualluy bought a pair. Fitted them last week, had them tested and the pleasant surprise was the £15.25 it cost to fill them, magic. I purchased a Gas It system purely because I have friends who had them fitted. The complete kit with all adaptors, hoses, guages and exterior filler was £150 less than Gaslow. Nothing wrong with Gaslow but they do use the same bottles except they are painted yellow.
In my opinion do it now, it is a worthy investment as other funsters say a good piece of kit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
We had a 13kg alugas system fitted ( by Dave Newall )
First fill cost £18, one 7kg calor costs £25 around here.
One of the best things we've added to the van, no more gas worrys when away.

Cheers. Nige

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back