GASLOW SYSTEMS Auto changover (1 Viewer)

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Has anyone had experience of the Auto Changeover regulator not working on the dual cylinder system
Oven and grille work ok but I believe the truma boiler needs a higher pressure to fire up. Both gauges read ok (not the magnetic types) There is no manual over ride on the valve.

Any Ideas?

Martin

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Might just need the boiler servicing ..
have you tried filling the gas up and checking if the boiler then works ?

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I didn't think the autochanger was related to the regulator - but I'm happy to be proved otherwise. Sounds more like the regulator is starting to fail to me.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Is the regulator by Truma?
If so I would go with Terry's diagnosis.
We had an almost identical set of symptoms a couple of years ago. The regulator was gummed up with oily residue and reducing the gas flow. Sufficient to run the hob and the fridge but not sufficient flow for the boiler.
Truma regulators are notorious for failing due to this cause.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Is the regulator by Truma?
If so I would go with Terry's diagnosis.
We had an almost identical set of symptoms a couple of years ago. The regulator was gummed up with oily residue and reducing the gas flow. Sufficient to run the hob and the fridge but not sufficient flow for the boiler.
Truma regulators are notorious for failing due to this cause.
Was this when you was in a certain place somewhat south of here by chance ? :)

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Any idea how many fill ups you might get before regulators start to gum up when using refillable systems?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
A while later I replaced my unit with a 'normal' regulator.. I seem to remember you ended up replacing like for like and having to get it from Portugal ?

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Any idea how many fill ups you might get before regulators start to gum up when using refillable systems?

Some people have had it happen a couple of times in a short period, others (like me - so far!) have never had it happen. Despite all sorts of theories that have been expounded on here, there doesn't seem to be a cast iron answer.

I carry a spare!

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I was about to buy an automatic change over valve with the regulator built in (£48). I am wondering if it would be more economical to buy two separate items (total of £60) as the regulator is only a few pounds to replace in the future.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
That is what I would do ! The auto changover bits never seem to cause any grief ( at least none I know of ) but the regulators are for ever gumming up !

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Have to say I wonder if an automatic changeover valve is really worth it? Given the inaccuracy of the gauges I'm far happier just running on one bottle then when it runs out changing it over manually and start planning a refill. That way I never unknowingly run out of gas.
I haven't bothered with a manual changeover either, just shut one bottle off and open the other. K.I.S.S.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
A while later I replaced my unit with a 'normal' regulator.. I seem to remember you ended up replacing like for like and having to get it from Portugal ?
I got it replaced in Portugal but not with a Truma - I got a Clesse as Tommy at Camperserv was out of stock of Trumas - there had been so many failing.
Strangely the Clesse failed just under a year later and Tommy replaced it under warranty. Different issue though, the Clesse was just leaking from somewhere.

sleep e carr

Free Member
Nov 30, 2008
Whitby North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Express 6 birth
Exp
Since 1970 first van converted police van
I have had my van for 3 months and had change over valve for half of that but have had no trouble with it at all,
I bought it from a firm in Bangor northern Ireland my fitter from KDR Leisure Scarborough fitted it when he came to do my elec and gas check, I find it some much easier than struggling with bottles, I have had pig tails fitted, one goe's to blue, and one to red bottle just turn the tap and your back on, as long as it takes to unlock the gas cupboard and turn the tap, mine was £45 delivered hope this helps

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
have had a few truma regulators gum up and fail, but never a cleese or a gas-it, both of them cheaper than the truma

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Its odd really.. makes me wonder what is in the Truma ones that make em fail as often as they do.
Would not be so bad if they were sensibly priced.. Might be they are saving the jets in the various appliances getting gummed up.. but at about £40+ a go every two years I think I will take my chances with a cheaper option !

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years

Having installed 2 x full 6kg bottles, I filled them after a fortnight of use with BP lpg (approx £12). This afternoon, I noticed some brown oily liquid seeping from the fill point hose. I'll tighten the hose tomorrow but was staggered that so much oil was present after one filling (it is too late to tell how much exactly but I'm guessing at least half a teaspoon). Is this likely to have been an isolated contaminated supply or is this degree of contamination normal?

Sep 9, 2011
Worcester
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Can anyone tell me when you fill up in the UK do you use the UK adaptor or just put the nozzle in lock it on and then push button,sorry to be pain first time filling up today cheers to everyone

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
In the UK you just put the nozzle on and lock it. Assuming you have a standard UK fitment you will only need adaptors abroad.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Can anyone tell me when you fill up in the UK do you use the UK adaptor or just put the nozzle in lock it on and then push button,sorry to be pain first time filling up today cheers to everyone

The Gaslow filler is UK standard so you don't need any adapters. Lock it on, press and hold the button in until it's finished filling. Don't let go of the button or it stops.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
When doing your first fill you might not get in as much as you expect - this is quite normal so don't be alarmed - subsequent fills should be fine.

Sep 9, 2011
Worcester
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Hi thanks to everyone who write about everything on here I certainly get my moneys worth its the best forum for help and advice,just done my first fill on my gasit bottles worry I certainly did but no problem at all (y)(y)(y)
Thankyou

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I believe the "Gumming up" is caused by the pigtail dissolving, change them to stainless steel ones before you have a problem. Of course I could be entirely wrong and that could be a different problem entirely.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've had a refillable system since 2009 and have to date put in 290 litres (costing £177 av cost of LPG 61p per litre). We have had the same kit (minus regulator) in 4 vehicles, the 4th only having it installed a few weeks ago as we've changed vans, in all that time we have never ever had a problem but we did get stainless steel filler and connection pipes, they aren't cheap but don't need to be changed every few of years or so and I'm happier with them being 'tougher' than just plain rubber gas pipe.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back