Gaslow refillable bottles (1 Viewer)

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
Mine was really solid so not a problem at all, apart from Shell refusing a fill up. Used BP instead.

Best way is to stick one of the wife's knitting needles in one of the holes and pull it around, trying to bend the mesh. If the knitting needle bends and not the mesh then it is OK. Quietly replace the knitting needle and deny all knowledge later.;)

Can't do that!!! What the hell will I use to cleanth wax art me ears:cool:

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Glad I fitted my own and saved £100! Best price I could find on Gaslow was Hamilton Gas. My filler is just inside the gas locker, have NEVER had any problems filling these in the UK or abroad. Only problem with having an external filler is that you have to leave everything there when you sell your MH.

colyboy

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
[QUOTE="colyboy, post: 1195941, member: 10727"

Only problem with having an external filler is that you have to leave everything there when you sell your MH.

colyboy[/QUOTE]

why, just leave the filler point when you change

and I am definitely in the get it fitted camp, out of the whole cost of ownership of a MH and offset against the massive savings claimed for refillables £100 is nothing really, especially if it includes the external filling point (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Only problem with having an external filler is that you have to leave everything there when you sell your MH.

colyboy

Nope - GASLOW sell a blanking kit. Just leave the filler surround as far as I remember. Did it on our first van. Take everything else with you for the next van

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I understand that some European filling stations will not allow filling of bottles unless it's through a filer valve mounted the exterior wall of the MH - happy to be corrected otherwise
Yup, like the one near the ferry terminal at Hook of Holland for example (no problems with my external filler tho(y))

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
:D
I was talking generally.... DIY'ers would probably go for the easier option of an in locker filler rather than drill a big hole in the side of their van. Wasn't criticising what you said ... Was adding to it :D

Why !!!
Any person capable of doing the job to start with would hardly be likely to blanch at fitting the filler anywhere they wanted to !
I am only a DIYer type and have NEVER fitted a filler inside a locker on any install I have done..
Nowt wrong with doing fitting inside the gas locker I suppose ,but just does not seem right somehow.

As to why someone should DIY instead of spending £100.. For me, it was a simple of matter of why spend £100 ( almost a weeks pension for many ) when they do not need to.

As a by the by, the AluGas system is even cheaper than the Gasit kit and is very comprehensive indeed

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I have the pipework and bottles installed (loose fit all to tighten up) but the filler bracket is proving a problem, there is vey little space to fit it without it fouling the locker door.
How did you fix it to the floor and did you put any extra support in, I'm a little concerned about the stresses on the mounting point during filling.?
I didn't fix it to the floor. It is fitted to the roof of the locker, with 4 stainless steel bolts rather than screws. The fill pipe is in a short loop. I will be at the Essex meet so you can have a look at it if you want. I only have one Gasit, with a Calor spare.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Why !!!
Any person capable of doing the job to start with would hardly be likely to blanch at fitting the filler anywhere they wanted to !

Why? - I guess for some people it might be the fear of drilling a BIG hole in the side of their pride and joy. Even a capable DIY'er may not want to risk damaging their van for the sake of spending £100 on and having the job done by a professional who has done the same job many times before, and who is fully insured in the case of an accident. Deduct from that the cost of buying the hole cutters to do the job in the first place and the cost is even less.

Simply a case of risk versus cost (or saving) - there's no right or wrong answer, its a case of personal choice

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Cost of the hole cutter £6.00 IF you do not have one already.
What risk is there in drilling/cutting a hole ?
I think perhaps you under estimate the average DIY type persons abilities :)

If someone is contemplating fitting the kit them selves they must surely have the skill set to do the job otherwise they would not even think about doing it ?

In the 'Wonderful World of Haynes' speak, it is really only a 3 or 4 spanner job :)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I have never drilled hole in van wall.....just through the floor and external filler fitted on sill. Easier to move from van to van as well.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Jaws, whilst I fitted mine myself, I would not criticise Robert (or anybody else) at all for getting somebody to do it for him. Especially for £100, which seems a good price to fit the bottles and the BBQ point. And I can understand his point about drilling a hole in his pride and joy. Although I didn't need to drill a hole for my gas set up I did have to when I decided to fit my own solar panels. And that took a lot of thought and research (and good advice from other funsters) before I plucked up the courage to do it.

Yes it should be within the skill set of any reasonably competent DIYer but why do it if you don't want to? As I get old(er) I am increasingly thinking that I will get others to do jobs that I just don't fancy doing, but which I would have done myself a few years ago. Nowadays I am fortunate enough to be able to decide that I will only do those jobs that I think I will enjoy doing.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have never drilled hole in van wall.....just through the floor and external filler fitted on sill. Easier to move from van to van as well.

Indeed, another good option if at all possible (y)

Peter, why do it ?

Well the answer is right there in your post.. Because folk might WANT to do it :)

A lot of people look at a job and think it too complex or like your good self just do not want to do it.

But there are many many folk who DO like doing such things.. For those, like me, it is not a chore at all, just one aspect of the motor homing hobby..

Yes, I fully understand why folk would not do it and as you say, £100 is not the end of the world for many.. my standpoint is that the job is NOT that hard to for anyone who WANTS to do it..
Not saying everyone should DIY as much as I am saying DIY is not out of the reach of many .. and as much I am saying that if someone is not competent / confident there are a good many traders out there like Dave ( Newell ) who can do the job for them

Last edited:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I bought a Honeywell branded gas tester/sniffer...this gives peace of mind when installing yourself...

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
here is the gas tester I use..really makes the most worrying aspects of DIY install straightforward...LEAKS!. a handy safety device genrally anyway

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back