Gaslow R67 cylinder...no on/off tap? (1 Viewer)

andrewjw

Free Member
Oct 23, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent L
Exp
20 years plus
I've spent a fun afternoon installing a single cylinder Gaslow system into my van. It has all gone in very neatly with minimal stress!

I notice that unlike the "old style" Gaslow cylinders that I had in my previous van the new R67 type cylinder has no on /off tap to isolate the tank when the van isn't being used or for ferry crossings etc.

The Gaslow website says that the R67 has a built in excess flow valve which will restrict the gas flow if a hose ruptures etc...presumably this makes the on/off tap redundant?

Any thoughts anyone?

OP
OP
andrewjw

andrewjw

Free Member
Oct 23, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent L
Exp
20 years plus
Very similar...it certainly has the knurled knob at the bottom of the pic above....just been out to have a look and discover that the knurled knob turns!!

Presumably this is the on /off isolation control?...doh!!

Nothing about this on the Gaslow instruction sheet /website ... I'm used to the old style on/off knobs on the top of the cylinder...must be getting old!!

OP
OP
andrewjw

andrewjw

Free Member
Oct 23, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent L
Exp
20 years plus
I think that ScotJimland had solved the problem [thanks!]....

I sent Gaslow an e mail asking the same question...maybe they should update their website/instruction sheets etc for dimbos like me!:rolleyes:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I think that ScotJimland had solved the problem [thanks!]....

I sent Gaslow an e mail asking the same question...maybe they should update their website/instruction sheets etc for dimbos like me!:rolleyes:

I agree it's not on the Gaslow technical info.. and not obvious..
but you couldn't have a gas bottle without an isolation valve.. so it had to be there.. somewhere(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Just thinking to myself, Presumably this new regulation applies to newly purchased and fitted bottles and those of us with existing Gaslow bottles will not be required to change them for new ones. Anyone know?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Just thinking to myself, Presumably this new regulation applies to newly purchased and fitted bottles and those of us with existing Gaslow bottles will not be required to change them for new ones. Anyone know?

From what I read, the R67 regulations only apply to LPG propulsion installations, so I wouldn't think there is a requirement to change.?

Uniform provisions concerning the approval of:
I. Approval of specific equipment of vehicles of category M and N
using liquefied petroleum gases in their propulsion system

II. Approval of vehicles of category M and N fitted with specific
equipment for the use of liquefied petroleum gases in their
propulsion system with regard to the installation of such
equipment.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I agree it's not on the Gaslow technical info.. and not obvious..
but you couldn't have a gas bottle without an isolation valve.. so it had to be there.. somewhere(y)
But it is the only knob on the bottle! and the gas does stop coming out when you turn it :)

OP
OP
andrewjw

andrewjw

Free Member
Oct 23, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent L
Exp
20 years plus
But it is the only knob on the bottle! and the gas does stop coming out when you turn it :)

Correct...re it being the only knob on the bottle.

And hopefully when I fill the bottle tomorrow I'll be able to confirm that it does control the gas flow...I'm confident it will.

It would probably be helpful when a long standing design is changed the manufacturer might make it clear what all the various component parts do...

Particularly when many people would like [and are encouraged by the manufacturers blurb] to fit it themselves..:)

I fitted a dual bottle / auto changeover GasLow system in my previous van 10 years ago...worked faultlessly I'm pleased to say.

Now that I've found my new knob I'm feeling better already!:D

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
From what I read, the R67 regulations only apply to LPG propulsion installations, so I wouldn't think there is a requirement to change.?

Uniform provisions concerning the approval of:
I. Approval of specific equipment of vehicles of category M and N
using liquefied petroleum gases in their propulsion system

II. Approval of vehicles of category M and N fitted with specific
equipment for the use of liquefied petroleum gases in their
propulsion system with regard to the installation of such
equipment.

Thanks or that, if these regs only apply to gas bottles for propulsion system why are Gslow making the new bottles compliant with R67? Have I missed something?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Thanks or that, if these regs only apply to gas bottles for propulsion system why are Gslow making the new bottles compliant with R67? Have I missed something?

Honestly don't know the answer.. after reading the regs that was my first thought..

it may be in anticipation or they are going to an export market that demands that compliance.. EU perhaps ?

really just guessing one of the more knowledgeable people will be along shortly ;)

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
theres an old saying in engineering its easy to make it work but making it idiot proof is a whole different ballgame

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
The French consider refillable bottles and "tanks" R67 is the spec for gas tanks. If your going to manufacture something, why not make it to the highest spec in Europe to avoide any issues, now, or in the future?

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Most things are easy once you know how...

My Mum always said that sarcasm was the lowest form of wit...:whistle:

Yup, your Mum was right.

Luckily I was being facetious. The post I was responding to. was obtuse

OP
OP
andrewjw

andrewjw

Free Member
Oct 23, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent L
Exp
20 years plus
Delighted to report that I did a "first fill" on the newly installed Gaslow R67 today....the 11kg bottle took just over 21 litres....then "soapy water" tested for leaks ...all ok.

The bronze knurled knob is definitely the on/off control on the bottle...fully clockwise for off...fully anti clockwise for open.

Thanks for all the helpful comments...(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back