gaslow question please

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by wildcamp, Nov 7, 2013.

1. wildcamp

wildcamp Read Only Funster

Hi all
    After me picking up my new motorhome I have found that it has a gaslow bottle and has had the gaslow refillable bottle filler kit has been fitted like the one bellow in the photo
    does this mean I can go to any off my petrol stations that sells lpg and fill it up my self?and also I take it the lpg pump just cuts out like it does when filling up diesel in a car?
    [​IMG]
    many thanks
    paul

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  2. HymerB544

HymerB544 Funster

Gaslow

Hi Paul,

Yes. You'll find that the LPG pumps have clear instructions on them in most cases and after a couple of fills you'll get the hang of it. But if you travel abroad you'll need to make sure you have adapters for each type of pump you encounter, and there are, I believe, three.:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  3. wildcamp

wildcamp Read Only Funster

Hi
    That's great thank you very much:thumb:

4. grasscutter

grasscutter Funster Life Member

Just be prepared for the noisy escape of gas when you disconnect the filler. The first time it happens it makes you jump :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bellini

Bellini Funster

And it'll more than likely lead to a noisy escape of gas from you as well.:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 2
  6. Allanm

Allanm Funster

You'll need a few minutes to figure out how to use the pump. In the UK, the filler has a bayonet fitting. You connect the pump and lock the filling trigger in place. You shouldn't touch the pump handle till it's full, it gets very cold. On the pump itself will be a button.
    Some pumps will zero and get ready to fill at this point if the connection is good, others, you need to press a button first. Whichever method, there will be a button on the pump and you keep this pressed till the tank is either full or you have filled it as much as you want.
    Then release the trigger and remove the pump. There will be an escape of gas under pressure.
    On the continent, they use different adapters. There can be bought quite cheaply but most garages have an adapter you can borrow.
    Allan

Edit. As above, most pumps have instructions on them, but many bear no resemblance to the controls on the pump it is fitted to, and oc course in Europe they are in foreign!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  7. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

I trust thar the system has a current gas safety certificate.:Sad:

8. Roryboys Dad

Roryboys Dad Read Only Funster

This will give you some idea of what is involved in filling up with LPG - [ame]http://youtu.be/sn5Gf8axgJY[/ame]

:france::france::france:

• Like Like x 4
  9. sciac2001

sciac2001 Funster

Very useful thanks.
    I have 2 x bottles of 11kg and have never refilled them yet and am nervous about doing it for the first time. I believe that both bottles draw down together as they are both now beginning to register at "less than full", which again I believe means that the gas levels have dropped below half in each bottle through use.
    When I refill at the lpg station, can I assume that the pump will fill both bottles automatically and then cut off when both reach their limits?
    (Although the workings were well explained to me at time of imstallation, because the gas has lasted so long I cannot recall whether I need to ensure that both feeds to the camper are kept closed during fillup. I am sure that they do but any assurance appreciated.)
    Thanks for guidance.

10. JOHNSTEY

JOHNSTEY Read Only Funster

My system empties one bottle then you turn on the second so I am not sure you are right that they draw off equally.They do however fill in tandem without having to turn them on.So both should be in the off position to fill.It is simple once you get used to it.:thumb:

11. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Follow this link to the Gaslow website (Products page) and at the lower left, under 'downloads' choose "Fitting instructions for refillable cylinders". The pdf explains not only about the fitting, but also how to fill them.

http://www.gaslow.co.uk/pages/products/list_1.htm

As stated by the previous poster, the cylinders should empty one at a time - which one first depends on how your changeover system is set. You may have either a manual or automatic changeover valve. If in doubt, either look at the Gaslow website for an indication of which it is, or post a photograph on here and we'll tell you.

Also, don't forget to turn off both cylinder supply valves before filling.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I know it's been mentioned but please remember

Turn both bottles off before filling. Best to do this before arriving at the petrol station.

I know most people turn off while driving but some don't.

• Like Like x 1
  13. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

word of warning

Filling in Germany once, I attached the nozzle and asked Carolyn to press the button on the pump-she gave it one press and released it :Doh:
    The pump delivered €0.75 worth of gas and cut out :BigGrin: I had to go to kiosk and get attendant to re-set the pump so that I could finish filling.
    Mike

• Like Like x 1
  14. sciac2001

sciac2001 Funster

Thank you all. Most helpful as usual.
    We have an automatic switch-over system and have taken on-board comments that they do not draw down together. Thanks for clarifying that both camper feeds need to be switched off.
    Can I be cheeky and also ask for guidelines with regards to whether (and if possible, how) I can connect a Spanish butane cylinder to the camper's existing gasfeed system? A fellow motorhomer said that he could do it and mentioned that Gaslow do sell such a connection but the detail got lost somewhere along the line.

15. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

I don't have Gaslow-I have a fixed underslung tank,but,if it helps,here's how mine is done.
    1 Spanish bottle,1 Jumbo connector,1 gas hose,some copper pipe,1 non-return valve. 1 T piece
    Feed from my tank is on left, gas hose from Spanish bottle is on right.

Designed and installed by Handy Andy of Costablancamotorhomes at Marjal campsite.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  16. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Sorry for the delay in replying (been away for a few days) go back to the Gaslow website downloads section and get their catalogue. You will see an adapter hose that enables you to connect a slave bottle to the filler point for use with pre-filled bottles.