Free Member
Nov 6, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
Hi all
After me picking up my new motorhome I have found that it has a gaslow bottle and has had the gaslow refillable bottle filler kit has been fitted like the one bellow in the photo
does this mean I can go to any off my petrol stations that sells lpg and fill it up my self?and also I take it the lpg pump just cuts out like it does when filling up diesel in a car?
246tlhf.jpg

many thanks
paul

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Gaslow

Hi Paul,

Yes. You'll find that the LPG pumps have clear instructions on them in most cases and after a couple of fills you'll get the hang of it. But if you travel abroad you'll need to make sure you have adapters for each type of pump you encounter, and there are, I believe, three.:thumb:

OP
OP
W

wildcamp

Free Member
Nov 6, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
Hi Paul,

Yes. You'll find that the LPG pumps have clear instructions on them in most cases and after a couple of fills you'll get the hang of it. But if you travel abroad you'll need to make sure you have adapters for each type of pump you encounter, and there are, I believe, three.:thumb:

Hi
That's great thank you very much:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
You'll need a few minutes to figure out how to use the pump. In the UK, the filler has a bayonet fitting. You connect the pump and lock the filling trigger in place. You shouldn't touch the pump handle till it's full, it gets very cold. On the pump itself will be a button.
Some pumps will zero and get ready to fill at this point if the connection is good, others, you need to press a button first. Whichever method, there will be a button on the pump and you keep this pressed till the tank is either full or you have filled it as much as you want.
Then release the trigger and remove the pump. There will be an escape of gas under pressure.
On the continent, they use different adapters. There can be bought quite cheaply but most garages have an adapter you can borrow.
Allan

Edit. As above, most pumps have instructions on them, but many bear no resemblance to the controls on the pump it is fitted to, and oc course in Europe they are in foreign!

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
I trust thar the system has a current gas safety certificate.:Sad:

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
You'll need a few minutes to figure out how to use the pump. In the UK, the filler has a bayonet fitting. You connect the pump and lock the filling trigger in place. You shouldn't touch the pump handle till it's full, it gets very cold. On the pump itself will be a button.
Some pumps will zero and get ready to fill at this point if the connection is good, others, you need to press a button first. Whichever method, there will be a button on the pump and you keep this pressed till the tank is either full or you have filled it as much as you want.
Then release the trigger and remove the pump. There will be an escape of gas under pressure.
On the continent, they use different adapters. There can be bought quite cheaply but most garages have an adapter you can borrow.
Allan

Edit. As above, most pumps have instructions on them, but many bear no resemblance to the controls on the pump it is fitted to, and oc course in Europe they are in foreign!

Very useful thanks.
I have 2 x bottles of 11kg and have never refilled them yet and am nervous about doing it for the first time. I believe that both bottles draw down together as they are both now beginning to register at "less than full", which again I believe means that the gas levels have dropped below half in each bottle through use.
When I refill at the lpg station, can I assume that the pump will fill both bottles automatically and then cut off when both reach their limits?
(Although the workings were well explained to me at time of imstallation, because the gas has lasted so long I cannot recall whether I need to ensure that both feeds to the camper are kept closed during fillup. I am sure that they do but any assurance appreciated.)
Thanks for guidance.

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
My system empties one bottle then you turn on the second so I am not sure you are right that they draw off equally.They do however fill in tandem without having to turn them on.So both should be in the off position to fill.It is simple once you get used to it.:thumb:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Follow this link to the Gaslow website (Products page) and at the lower left, under 'downloads' choose "Fitting instructions for refillable cylinders". The pdf explains not only about the fitting, but also how to fill them.

Link Removed

As stated by the previous poster, the cylinders should empty one at a time - which one first depends on how your changeover system is set. You may have either a manual or automatic changeover valve. If in doubt, either look at the Gaslow website for an indication of which it is, or post a photograph on here and we'll tell you.

Also, don't forget to turn off both cylinder supply valves before filling.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I know it's been mentioned but please remember

Turn both bottles off before filling. Best to do this before arriving at the petrol station.

I know most people turn off while driving but some don't.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
word of warning

Filling in Germany once, I attached the nozzle and asked Carolyn to press the button on the pump-she gave it one press and released it :Doh:
The pump delivered €0.75 worth of gas and cut out ::bigsmile: I had to go to kiosk and get attendant to re-set the pump so that I could finish filling.
Mike

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Thank you all. Most helpful as usual.
We have an automatic switch-over system and have taken on-board comments that they do not draw down together. Thanks for clarifying that both camper feeds need to be switched off.
Can I be cheeky and also ask for guidelines with regards to whether (and if possible, how) I can connect a Spanish butane cylinder to the camper's existing gasfeed system? A fellow motorhomer said that he could do it and mentioned that Gaslow do sell such a connection but the detail got lost somewhere along the line.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Thank you all. Most helpful as usual.
We have an automatic switch-over system and have taken on-board comments that they do not draw down together. Thanks for clarifying that both camper feeds need to be switched off.
Can I be cheeky and also ask for guidelines with regards to whether (and if possible, how) I can connect a Spanish butane cylinder to the camper's existing gasfeed system? A fellow motorhomer said that he could do it and mentioned that Gaslow do sell such a connection but the detail got lost somewhere along the line.

I don't have Gaslow-I have a fixed underslung tank,but,if it helps,here's how mine is done.
1 Spanish bottle,1 Jumbo connector,1 gas hose,some copper pipe,1 non-return valve. 1 T piece
Feed from my tank is on left, gas hose from Spanish bottle is on right.

Designed and installed by Handy Andy of Costablancamotorhomes at Marjal campsite.

Attachments

• Spanish gas bottle.JPG
    Spanish gas bottle.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Spanish gas plumbing [800x600].jpg
    Spanish gas plumbing [800x600].jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007

Sorry for the delay in replying (been away for a few days) go back to the Gaslow website downloads section and get their catalogue. You will see an adapter hose that enables you to connect a slave bottle to the filler point for use with pre-filled bottles.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back