Gaslow new to all of this please help (1 Viewer)

Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
We have gaslow fitted to our motorhome, 2 cylinders which should automatically both fill. We find however that only 1 is filling and so we have no standby. Are we doing something wrong ?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We have gaslow fitted to our motorhome, 2 cylinders which should automatically both fill. We find however that only 1 is filling and so we have no standby. Are we doing something wrong ?

Is it possible one gauge is sticking ?

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
One of ours shows empty when filled till we have driven a couple of miles

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Always turn mine off John in case fridge fires up on the forecourt, they should fill irrespective

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Always turn mine off John in case fridge fires up on the forecourt, they should fill irrespective

never had gaslow Ken but i would have thought thered be an 'off' tap....what happens if the filler valve jams open when you remove the pump hose ?
15kg of LPG escaping on the forcourt :Eeek:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
No off tap tomy knowledge John. My system is the new type i can fill with cylindr taps open or shut. I take your point tho I think there is an automatic shut off or when you disconnect the filler the back pressure from the cylinders forces the valve shut. But as you say "what if it fails"? Have to say tho i have never heard of it happening.

OP
OP
lindylou
Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
Is it possible one gauge is sticking ?

We don't have a gauge just a red green pressure indicator with many sectors green when pressure on red no pressure definitely no gas being filled into second canister thanks for all replies
Lin

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
The filling point on a Gaslow cylinder contains a non-return valve. You can disconnect a full cylinder (so long as the supply tap to the motorhome regulator is turned off) and remove it from the van.

Unless Gaslow have changed something in the latest versions, you SHOULD turn off the supply taps before filling. That's what it says in my instructions (otherwise, the LPG pump will try and fill the pipework to the regulator - I guess).

Regarding the question in the original post, why not call Gaslow and describe the symptoms? They are very helpful and will either put your mind at rest, or suggest what is wrong.

Philip

OP
OP
lindylou
Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
The filling point on a Gaslow cylinder contains a non-return valve. You can disconnect a full cylinder (so long as the supply tap to the motorhome regulator is turned off) and remove it from the van.

Unless Gaslow have changed something in the latest versions, you SHOULD turn off the supply taps before filling. That's what it says in my instructions (otherwise, the LPG pump will try and fill the pipework to the regulator - I guess).

Regarding the question in the original post, why not call Gaslow and describe the symptoms? They are very helpful and will either put your mind at rest, or suggest what is wrong.

Philip
Will try gaslow tomorrow it seems the gas is just not getting to second tank on refill . Not too good in north Scotland at this time of year . Need it to be reliable.
Thanks again for all the useful suggestions

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We don't have a gauge just a red green pressure indicator with many sectors green when pressure on red no pressure definitely no gas being filled into second canister thanks for all replies
Lin

We've got the same. 3 years old now, I thought the new ones all had a float gauges.

Did you buy these second hand ?

OP
OP
lindylou
Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
No didn't buy second hand. Fitted new at dealer.strange now having travelled from Aberdeen to Perth second one seems to be working now although on red. The mind boggles !

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The mind boggles !

Common condition in MHs.

The gauge you have is just a pressure gauge, a rough guide.

Without removing the tanks and weighing them I can only think of one good way to test them, run dry, fill, and see how much you can get in.

OP
OP
lindylou
Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
So why would the pressure gauge show green when left tank is supplying gas but red when right tank is supplying

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
So why would the pressure gauge show green when left tank is supplying gas but red when right tank is supplying

Sorry I should have said I have only one Gaslow, keep a Calor for standby/BBQ and change over the regulator manually ( never had to do it ).

So lets be sure just what you have. Any chance of a good picture or two ?

Or go here:

Link Removed

and find the product number off the gauge or gauges that you have. The fitting instructions will also give you clue as to whether your is plumbed in properly.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back