Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hi Bob ...and any other funster....Mmmmm I am not disputing what niggle has said because up to now I do not know.......but he says they have to have plg cert.(.or in the uk LPG) and checked every year when they have there car M.O.T.......wrong control technique in France (m.o.t in the uk) is every two years and your 1st m.o,t is 4 from new ??????.....Now niggle is new funster, so I do not know much about him or where he is getting his information from.

I had a PM form niggle the other day after I posted all those photos of Aires in France....
As the message was not private, and he said he would be posting it on Motorhome later that day...... he never did !!!......here is what he said on the 14/2/2010........ to my photos

"originally Posted by niggle
not any more ??? the gov wants to regulate them,, im just back from the north and will post a thing tonight about aires"
(he never did put a thread on Fun !!!......)

I then replied by PM to niggle asking.
"Niggle...you sent me a ...Strange PM last night "

Niggle replied
"Sorry will try to do it today,,,,, french gov just put into law all yes all aires will be run by local gov or closed ?????"
(He never did put a thread on Fun !!!......)

Up to date !!?
He still has not put a thread on Fun !!!......???????????????????? were is niggle getting his info from....(knowing lots of funsters use the Aires in France, you would think if he had this valuable information he would put in on the forum of motorhomefun for all the funsters to see...!!!!!!! What do you make of it...... I am baffled

Mel:Doh:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Found this articlel from the caravan club

Link Removed

Gas in France

Popular brands of gas which visitors have found to be economical and easy to use are
Primagaz, Butagaz, and Totalgaz. A loan deposit is required, and caravanners who
are purchasing a cylinder for time should also purchase the appropriate regulator or
adaptor, as European pressures vary considerably. www.gaslow.co.uk sell adaptors
for French Bottles.
If you are interested in more general information on continental travel with your
caravan, please consider our Caravan Europe Guide. This supplies in depth
information on continental travel and sites.
Refillable cylinders
User-refillable gas cylinders may offer an advantage in terms of cost and convenience
to caravanners who are either high-volume gas consumers or who frequently cross
international borders with consequent difficulties of exchanging cylinders acquired in
neighbouring countries. Typically, this would mean frequent weekend ralliers (who
stay on rally fields without mains hook-up) or motor caravanners who spend extended
periods on the Continent. Cylinders are refilled using the LPG pumps available at
many petrol stations for refilling LPG-powered cars. The price of such LPG is
significantly cheaper at present than that bought by exchanging an empty Calor
cylinder, for instance.
Previously, there were concerns that a number of the available products did not meet
sensible safety standards, but there were no official guidelines to indicate which
features would be considered desirable. There were also concerns over the
acceptability of getting such cylinders refilled on petrol station forecourts, with many
forecourt operators being unwilling to permit such refilling. For these reasons, Club
policy was to encourage members not to invest in such equipment, and advertising of
such equipment in the Club Magazine was not carried.

Jrawstorne P:\membership services\travel\Travel Service Information Officer\Information Sheets\LPG cylinders within the
European Union1.doc

In June 2007, the body then known as the LPGas Association, which has subsequently
become UKLPG (the trade association for the LPG industry) issued revised advice on
this topic, replacing their previous guidance which expressed similar concerns to
those of The Club. Following review by the Technical sub-Committee, The Club has
now adopted this advice itself. The key requirements are indicated below:
It is our advice that user owned, portable LPG cylinders should not be refilled at
Autogas refuelling sites.
Vessels which are attached to a vehicle for heating or cooking (on camper vans or
similar) present similar risks on filling to those for propulsion purposes and may
be permitted to be re-filled at Autogas refuelling sites provided they:
remain in-situ for refilling; and are fitted with a device to physically prevent filling
beyond 80%; and are connected to a fixed filling connector which is not part of the
vessel.
In other words, cylinders which need to be removed from the caravan/motor caravan
for refilling, and which are refilled directly from the nozzle of the LPG pump are still
not recommended. However, cylinders which are in effect installed in the vehicle as a
fixed tank, which are refilled via an external filler connection, and which include an
80% stop valve to prevent over-filling are acceptable.
Equipment which meets these requirements is available from a number of different
suppliers in the UK. A non-exhaustive list of these is:
Gaslow International Ltd,
Castle Business Park
Pavilion Way
Loughborough,
Leicestershire.
LE11 5GW
Tel: 0845 4000 600
Fax: 0845 4000 700
E-mail: sales@gaslow.co.uk
Web: www.gaslow.co.uk
MTH Gas Systems Ltd.
Castlemain Workshops
Yorkley Road
Parkend
Gloucestershire
GL15 4HH
Tel: 01594 563 538
RPi Engineering
Wayside Garage
Holt Road
Horsford
Norwich
Norfolk

Jrawstorne P:\membership services\travel\Travel Service Information Officer\Information Sheets\LPG cylinders within the
European Union1.doc

NR10 3EE
Tel: 01603 891209
E-mail: info@rpiv8.com
Web: www.gasrefill.com
In each case, it should be checked that the equipment being offered does comply with
the recommendations above. Some companies sell a variety of systems, not all of
which fully meet these guidelines. Eg RPi will sell a cylinder with an 80% stop valve,
but with an optional external filler kit. Such a system would only be acceptable if the
external filler kit is bundled with it.
Warnings:
As with all gas-related systems, users should take care to follow all installation and
use instructions, and take care when they use the system.
Under no circumstances should cylinders which are not designed for user
refilling be refilled other than by the cylinder suppliers’ authorised agent. The
availability of cheap kits to permit the refilling of Calor and other cylinders at
Autogas refilling stations must not be encouraged in any way, and it would be best if
the existence of such equipment (for sale on eBay and elsewhere) is not
acknowledged. In the event of enquirers asking about such equipment, the obvious
safety concerns (principally, the lack of any stop valve to prevent overfilling, nor any
visible indication of how full the cylinder is (with most cylinders)) can be
highlighted. Such refilling would also be in breach of the conditions of supply for the
Calor (or other) cylinder, and thus illegal.
LPG for Fixed Tanks and Refillable Cylinders
A list of stations where you can fill up a fixed tank with LPG (or GPL in France) can
be found at www.drivelpg.co.uk alternatively you can purchase LPG Gids which is a
Dutch publication (but very easy to use and understand) which has details of over
8000 LPG stations across Europe, the book is stocked by Vicarious Books: Web:
www.vicariousbooks.co.uk Tel: 0131 208 3333
There are a very limited number of stations in Spain.

European Union1.doc

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Thank you heyupluv that is exactly what the girl at the station said to me even if she said in in about 20. Words lol

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Thank you heyupluv that is exactly what the girl at the station said to me even if she said in in about 20. Words lol

Haganap.... ONLY 20 WORDS Normaly it is 100 or more words in rapid succession to say "YES"...or ....NO :winky:...simple, you got off lightly:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Mel

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Well I have now filled up twice with LPG once putting £1.20 in !!! I have not once been asked for any certificate. I will keep you all posted . The only thing I have seen is a pic of a gas bottle with a line through it. That when I asked refers to people whom use those cheap and nasty eBay type refil attachments . They are a no no will keep you informed

Thanks for this. This is good news. I hope you dont mind but I have posted your findings on the other channel (MHF).

Are you going to keep testing it?::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back