Gaslow Fitting

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by motorhomer, Feb 12, 2012.

1. motorhomer

motorhomer Read Only Funster

I know that there are other threads on this, but I have a couple of specific questions and I wonder if others can help.

I am looking at gaslow because I have discovered that I cannot take my current gas cylinders on DFDS (see separate thread) - annoying!

A couple of questions:

Is it sensible to consider fitting gaslow yourself? (to save money really since the whole thing looks expensive) - but other than the filler it looks straightforward.

Where can you fit the filler? On my van - a rapido - there does not seem to be a sensible outside wall. So, is an "in locker" filler OK? (I have read of difficulty filling in france and italy if you have to open the door). Or can a hole be drilled in the door itself to mount the filler?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

Dave Newell is in your neck of the woods give him a ring he does not charge for advice or email or pm him on here
    http://www.davenewell.co.uk/

3. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

It's as easy a swapping a calor tank.

Outside filler is a good idea.

4. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

Motorhomer
    This is where mine is fitted on a Rapido 9090DF similar to yours the 7090DF ...exept the cab is different...(low profile to A Class)
    Mine was fitted by Dave Newell.....Alu gas...so a lot lighter....I have had no problem in France re-filling....Spain one big problem not many gas filling stations..
    The Black cap is the LPG...the White cap is a BBQ point also fitted by Dave
    I hope this helps you.

Mel:thumb:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  5. Phill D

Phill D

they do nor recommend fitting the filler into the locker door, it risks kinking the pipe.

you can get a bracket that the filler mounts into and fixes into thne locker.

• Like Like x 1
  6. iandsm

iandsm Funster

gas

We have two large Gaslow bottles in our locker but because the skirt on our 9048 seems a little flimsey we went for an in locker filler between the bottles.

In three years and probably seven months in France, Germany and Ialy we have never been refused a refill even when it was obvious we had the filler in the locker. I suppose we have filled up probably 18/20 times as we like to keep topped up.

There have been reports about being refused (Particularly on this site) but I have never heard of any other reports of refusal. There was once a post where people who had been refused were asked to report it and, from memory, I don't think there were any replies.

We did take the precaution of fixing the bottles with u bolts to the floor of the locker and steel bands (B&Q) to the sides instead of the plastic straps that Rapido supply. Having said that we have not been questioned about the bottles.

Gaslow will provide you with a certificate to the effect that the bottles comply with EU standards and I have laminated mine and keep it handy.

I have little doubt that you will get stories od doom and gloom and refusal but I am just telling of our experiences, others may have had problems but as I said, few were reported.

Just one point on the Rapido, I undertand that Alugas have a filler which would fit better on the skirt as it is smaller than the Gaslow one.

• Like Like x 5
  7. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

We have never been refused, but at Valencia Spain two weeks ago, 4 pumps nobody using any of them, the attendant came over checked our filler connection...then requested our passports or our Driving license.. then gave us his Spanish filler connection ...he would NOT even look at our four adaptors.... he was not interested..:Sad:but apart from that no problem

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  8. motorhomer

motorhomer Read Only Funster

Thanks to all who replied. Sounds as if dave newell is worth a call.

My van is different from the a-class rapido, the gas bottle locker is at the front on the left not the right, so there really is no available skirt as in front of the locker is the cab, and immediately to the rear the "skirt" opens to give access to the double floor area.

Looks to me from the replies that a filler inside the locker may be best, if not the only option.

I'll look at alugas as well.

Many thanks to all!

Jeff O

9. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

There have been several posts on this subject-as there has been on 'gassing' :BigGrin:
    There are 2 pieces of legislation in France concerning LPG-I personally have no experience of these being enforced,nor have I met any one who has themselves,but i have met people
    who know someone who has :BigGrin:

1.LPG or PLG is sold on forecourts for propulsion and not for domestic use.-This is because lpg for domestic use is taxed at a different rate.-Its the same scenario as for diesel for boats in UK-boat owners have to declare the % of diesel used for propulsion and domestic,they are then charged accordingly.

2.It is illegal to fill gas bottles on the forecourt. We automatically think of a calor or propane bottle with a home made adaptor,but,this is not the case-It is illegal to fill a gas bottle on a forecourt !!-What is Gaslow ? It is refillable bottles.
    As soon as you open a gas locker door the guy on the 'caisse' knows that you are going to refill bottles.If he is feeling 'jobsworth' that day he can switch off the LPG (GPL) and tell you to 'go away'.
    This why it is reccomended that your filler cap is 'sur la carrosserie' -on the coachwork.

As I said earlier,I havn't had any experience of enforcement-I have a fixed tank-if I need LPG and diesel at same time,I will fill with LPG first and then the diesel-my assumption being that once I've got the LPG they can't take it out :BigGrin:

Mike.

• Like Like x 3
  10. philk

philk

Gaslow

Motorhomer,

There is nothing to it. I plumbed the whole thing outside my van and uswd ptfe on every joint then when happy moved it all into the cupboard. I used an in cupboard filler.
    Philk

11. MikeandCarolyn

I assume you used ptfe gas fitting tape which complies withn BS 6974 :BigGrin:
    Mike.

12. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I have Alugas fitted to my Rapido. The filler is mounted through the van wall just behind the gas locker door, so the other side of the filler is within the gas locker (the door being sightly narrower than the compartment). If yours is the same as mine there is just room. Because it is through the wall it is a nice rigid fitting unlike fitting through the plastic skirt which needs reinforcement to take the weight of the nozzle.:thumb:

13. philk

philk

Gas installation

I guess so. That asside its since been moved into my new Pilote by SMC
    Philk

14. iandsm

iandsm Funster

refilling

Hi Mike, I understood it was NOT illegal to fill fixed installations i.e. Gaslow or similar installations in france. Otherwise it would not be possible to refill a motor car PGL tank, which incidenatally is often shaped like a bottle. Of course I understand that movable gas bottles are a different matter. Do you have any further information?

15. MikeandCarolyn

Obviously you consider Gaslow to be a 'fixed' installation-I personally don't. and I doubt if the guy in the 'caisse' does or could care less if he's in bad mood.
    Very often it can be down to the way the guy in the front line interprets things.
    Tell me this,do Gaslow have a fitting service in France? And if not,why not?
    But, as I said before,I've not seen anything being enforced-but I'm aware of what could be.
    Mike.

• Like Like x 1
  16. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

I do not understand why someone at a garage forecourt would ask for this:Eeek:

17. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Someone posted on here a while back about telling the service station that it was for domestic purposes to try to get a reduced rate (lower duty or VAT). This seems a very bad idea as it will encourage them to stop you filling as I'm sure they don't want the extra hassle.

18. trophychap

trophychap Funster

Refusal

We were told at a shell filling station in Brittany in 2010 that we were not allowed to fill our gaslow system there, but by the time the young man from the service station counter arrived to tell us this we had allready filled up!!

He said it was shell's rules not the service stations, so I told him in my best fronglaise that "if shell didn't want me to fill up with their gas, they wouldn't want me to pay for it either then I guess" unfortunately he said they would LOL.

Its the only occasion that we have encountered any problems filling the gas other than the fact that we have had on occasion had to turn round against the natual flow of forecourt traffic fill it. Due in part I suppose to being an english m/home.

Been filling up there now for three years. Auchan at Dunquerk is usually cheaper than here in GB so we usually fill the tanks there before returning home.

Our filler is in the gas locker by the way

• Like Like x 1
  19. sedge

sedge Funster

I would like to add that the chap kept telling us our van would explode, which caused a great deal of mirth in the Trophychap & Sedge partnership, but unfortunately did nothing to improve the young man's mood. He was actually jumping up and down by this stage. :Rofl1:

So we then put some diesel in, then drove it round the side and parked it adjacent to the building, for an hour and a half whilst we paid for the fuel and then partook of a leisurely lunch in their Caff.

However to be fair it transpired that someone had had an exploding comping-car in a Shell station whilst putting gas in, fairly recently to the temper tantrum we endured. Of course, no info on what happened. Perhaps the bloke lit a Gauloise? :Doh:

20. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Interesting to read this thread because we're having an Alugas cylinder fitted by Dave Newell on Wednesday. We didn't have room in our previous van but the gas locker on our current one is much bigger and the door takes up just over half the width so plenty of wall to have the filler fitted to.

No experience yet, obviously, but I don't think most would have any success telling the service station that it is for domestic purposes to try to get the reduced VAT rate. I should have thought that those pumps, being set up to sell gas for automotive use, probably only have a single price setting.